Highlighted
by Amberjack
Visitor

WeEE changing price of contract.

How come I sign contract to pay EE set amount then EE change that amount ! Surely a contract is just that: an agreed arrangement between two parties.

21 REPLIES
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Re: WeEE changing price of contract.

You sign a contract to pay a minimum of the amount agreed.

In this contract you signed states they can increase the price every year by the current RPI currently 2.5% I believe.

Brendon (Android Expert)
Samsung Galaxy S8+ (Oreo 8.0 Beta)
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Amberjack  But you read the contract and T&Cs of that contract?   

by stuarttunstall Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I knew about the annual price rise BEFORE I even agreed to join EE... It does say on the website

by Myrm Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I too have received information that the costs associated with two of my mobile accounts with EE are to increase by 2.5% in March.

Some here are saying "read your contract T&Cs), but have any of you actually read what OFCOM appear to say on this subject?

From the OFCOM website:

2 January 2014

From tomorrow, consumers and small businesses taking out new landline, broadband or mobile contracts should be allowed to exit them without penalty if their provider increases the monthly subscription price agreed at the point of sale.

This follows an Ofcom review into the fairness of contract price terms.  This found that many consumers, in particular, were caught unawares by price rises in what they believed to be fixed price contracts.

To improve protection for consumers and small businesses, Ofcom issued new Guidance for providers which takes effect from tomorrow.

It sets out that if a provider wishes to increase the monthly subscription price (or prices) agreed by the customer at point of sale, customers should be given at least one month's notice of the increase and be allowed to exit the contract without penalty.

If I am reading this right, then regardless of what your contract says you can opt out without penalty if a mobile provider increases contract prices during a contract term.

I am going to contact EE about this and see if I can have my contracts cancelled.

Personally, I think it's immoral that companies can do this.  I feel that they should honour the tariff that you agreed on until the end of that minimum contract term.

Established Contributor

I would imagine that would apply if you were not told at the time of sale or taking out the contract that all tariffs increase annually by the RPI index... As a customer of EE this is part of the terms and conditions you agree to when you join.. so we are all aware and agreed to it as far as I am aware... 

IF this was not in the terms and conditions and then EE increase the price they I would imagine you could.. 

Established Contributor

stuarttunstall wrote:

I would imagine that would apply if you were not told at the time of sale or taking out the contract that all tariffs increase annually by the RPI index... As a customer of EE this is part of the terms and conditions you agree to when you join.. so we are all aware and agreed to it as far as I am aware... 

IF this was not in the terms and conditions and then EE increase the price they I would imagine you could.. 

That's not what it says on OFCOM; they appear not to stipulate such a condition.

Established Contributor

The above states this...

"This found that many consumers, in particular, were caught unawares by price rises in what they believed to be fixed price contracts."

We are all aware of this it is in the terms we agreed to.. or that is the way I read it... 

As I said if I took out a £25 per month contract with no knowledge that it may go up in 12 months, then yes, you may be right but as I already knew my tariff WILL rise by the RPI percentage then I accepted that.. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

A lot of people just see shiny new device must have and not the contract that they are agreeing too and don't even read the contract before they agree to it because of the shiny new device.    Your agreeing to a legal document without even reading it !  

Established Contributor

Chris_B wrote:

A lot of people just see shiny new device must have and not the contract that that are agreeing too ...

True! >.<

Established Contributor

As a rule, like a lot of people I never do read contracts Lol but for some reason I did with this one... but even if I do not read them I know there will be a lot I have agreed to.... 

Established Contributor

I wonder how many people actually sit down and read every word of every contract they have ever signed.  I bet the number is vary few, if any.  Even if somebody was, on here for example, to say "I do!", I'd call you a liar.

I tried it once and was so confused that I would have probably been willing to sign my house away >.<

by Grand Master
Grand Master

I can bet your right not many do read it,  but its not withheld from any one and you can take as long as you like to read it before you agree to it.    Your  in control of what you agree to and no one is forced to sign anything.  

Established Contributor

Chris_B wrote:

I can bet your right not many do read it,  but its not withheld from any one and you can take as long as you like to read it before you agree to it.    Your  in control of what you agree to and no one is forced to sign anything.  

Agreed!

by thenextbigthing
Explorer

Chris_B wrote:

With respect OFCOM appears to disagree, and I think they're slightly more knowledgable than yourself who seems to be happy to let companies away with appearing to ignore regulators advice.

It sets out that if a provider wishes to increase the monthly subscription price (or prices) agreed by the customer at point of sale, customers should be given at least one month's notice of the increase and be allowed to exit the contract without penalty.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @thenextbigthing,

Thanks for joining the EE Community.

As with many service providers, our pay monthly plans are subject to annual price reviews to reflect the Retail Price Index (RPI).

This price increase complies with Ofcom regulations regarding in-contract price increases. 

James

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@thenextbigthing  So your saying that you don't have or are not given the right to read the contract before you sign it.  ?   Because I've not put that.   Not reading a contract before signing it is down to the customer wouldn't you agree.  !!      The contracts are not fixed term contracts and are not advertised as such and are not sold as such ether.  What customers don't seem to understand is if you do get out of the contract and go to another network your only pay this RPI  increase at that network because that network will of put the RPI rise on their tariffs.      

by thenextbigthing
Explorer

Chris_B wrote:

@thenextbigthing  So your saying that you don't have or are not given the right to read the contract before you sign it.  ?   Because I've not put that.   Not reading a contract before signing it is down to the customer wouldn't you agree.  !!      The contracts are not fixed term contracts and are not advertised as such and are not sold as such ether.  What customers don't seem to understand is if you do get out of the contract and go to another network your only pay this RPI  increase at that network because that network will of put the RPI rise on their tariffs.      

You liberal use of spaces and exclamation marks makes reading a bit strange.

We can read the contract all we like but OFCOM state: 'given at least one month's notice of the increase and be allowed to exit the contract without penalty.'

I have been given a months notice - but the text includes no mention of being allowed to exit the contract without penalty so i'll have to phone them to confirm.

No doubt they'll try to convince me to stay by offering me a deal on one of their bafflingly awful 'tablet' offers.

'Dear Aaron, we have a fantastic tablet offer for you, you can have the tablet for a monthly cost that equates to about 4 times as much as it would cost you to buy from Samsung. Are you interested?'.

Maybe if they spent less money on giving away Apple Music, BT Sport, and hiring Kevin Bacon for ridiculous adverts then they'd be able to keep competitive pricing with competitors.

Will give them a bell in the afternoon, thanks everyone.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@thenextbigthing  The tablet offer also includes a data allowance  over the next 24 months do you get that if your purchase out right from Samsung ?

and I believe it's 20GB a month if I remember correctly.  I got the offer also. 

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Of com ruling doesn't cover RPI increases.

You have agreed to this in your contract.

I suggest reading it.

Brendon (Android Expert)
Samsung Galaxy S8+ (Oreo 8.0 Beta)
Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.