by dom462
Explorer

Upgrade Dilemma

Please help me resolve a dilemma I have on upgrading my contract with EE.

​I currently have a two year old contract, 2gb of data a month costing me about £50. It is really bad for me; it's expensive, i'm always buying more data add ons and it doesn't have free roaming. I can't wait to get off it on to a more suitable contract. I'm eligible for an upgrade with no early upgrade charges from 09-March. Before then, I would have to pay about £60 early upgrade fee.

The phone and plan i'm interested in is the Pixel 3, 20GB a month data and includes free roaming in a lot of countries. It is so much better for me at roughly same cost. The deal at the moment also includes a free google home hub, worth £150. This is a much better deal than what I saw a month ago, with the free gift and much more data. I have checked with EE and the free gift offer ends on 28-Feb. I'm worried by waiting the deal after the 28-Feb may not be as good as it is now and I should take it even with the early upgrade charge. What do people think?

The other thing is, i'm going to the USA for a week on 09-Mar (the day I'm eligible for a free upgrade). I could really do with being on the new plan for that trip, with the data and free roaming. It would save me a fortune. I could live with my old phone for the trip, its a new plan that would be important. If I upgrade online on 09-Mar, am I moved to my new plan instantly without waiting for my new phone?
7 REPLIES 7
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Upgrade Dilemma

@dom462 wrote:
it doesn't have free roaming.

All plans have free roaming in EU.

To get free roaming in USA you would need to get the Pixel 3 on an EE Max plan. You could instead ask EE to move you up to a Max plan on your old phone.

If you really want the free gift & it's worth at least £60 to you I should go for it. However you'll be moved to the new plan when the new phone is delivered to you. It's cutting it fine!

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Community Support Team

Good Afternoon @dom462.

Thank you for coming to the community, it's great to have you here! 

I can see @XRaySpeX has provided you some great information/advice. 

Please be sure to let us know if you have any further questions,

Katie 🙂

by Profile closed
Not applicable

Hi

Good choice going for the Pixel 3. If i was in your situation right now i would pay the early upgrade fee. That way you will have the phone before you go on holiday and also will be eligible for the free gift.  Plus you will have the 20gb aswell 🙂

by dom462
Explorer

Checked this afternoon, but offers have changed, despite EE telling me I had till the 28th.

The Max Plan is now 60gb of data rather than 20gb, 24 months of BT sport but no free gift. As I thought it would change to a package of similar value but just different.

I'm therefore willing to wait to avoid the £60 upgrade fee. So question now is when I upgrade (potentially in day one of holiday) will I instantly move on to the new plan or do I have to wait until I use my new phone?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

As I said earlier it's when you receive the new phone.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi there @dom462

If you speak to our Mobile Care Team, they will be able to look at changing your plan to a Max plan before you go without the upgrade.

They will also make sure your account is set up for roaming before you go.

Leanne 🙂

by Profile closed
Not applicable

Soon as the phone is dispatched you will move onto the new plan

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions