by GarryC
Explorer

Security Questions / inflexible processes

I called EE to discuss an upgrade but they refused because I could not remember exactly where I bought my phone from two years ago. (What kind of security question is that?) That was probably the only question relating to my account that I could not answer for sure! The only advice given was that if I wish to do anything to my account I now have to make a 10-15 mile round trip to an EE shop to have my ID verified. What if I was disabled/elderly/many miles from an EE shop?

I still can’t remember exactly where I bought it from so do I have to keep visiting the shop until I do? I’m now completely stuck and locked into my contract which runs out next week. Can’t upgrade, can’t end my contract and no-one will discuss it or offer an alternative solution. Apparently data protection does not allow flexibility in the process. Why?

22 REPLIES 22
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Re: Security Questions / inflexible processes

Hello @GarryC

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community today. Smiley Happy

Do you have a password set up on your EE account for when you speak to customer service?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@GarryC  That’s a perfectly good  security question as how would any ease know where you got the device from.  And while your at the store you could always do the upgrade there. 

by GarryC
Explorer

Security questions are normally set by the account owner and therefore more personal and easier to recall. Asking where I shopped two years ago is very random, especially when asked ‘out of the blue’. I have bought five mobile phones for my immediate family and it is very difficult to instantly recall where any one of them was bought. What if my phone had been bought as gift? 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

The security questions are there to protect you not just EE. 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by
EE Employee

Hi and welcome to the community @GarryC

I understand your frustration with this issue.

We maintain the highest standards of data privacy and security to protect your personal details and other information about your account because we want you to feel completely confident about using our services.

Please do pop into your local store as they will be able to reset your password as long as you provide the relevant identification.

Many thanks,

Lee

by GarryC
Explorer

I do but that made no difference to customer services. My on line account is now locked (and you can’t close your account on line anyway). They would not ask any further security questions and could only tell me to go to an EE shop. If I cannot get to a shop before my contract ends next week I will be paying well over the odds for a service I no longer want, which is pretty outrageous. 

by
EE Employee

Hi @GarryC

If you are not happy with how this situation has been handled please see our ways to complain.

Many thanks,

Lee

by GarryC
Explorer

I understand security (and work in a high security industry). I understand the need for security questions. I understand data protection. I don’t understand complete inflexibility in a service provider’s processes and an apparent complete disinterest in a CUSTOMERS personal circumstances. 

by GarryC
Explorer

Thank you for responding Lee, but again no-one at EE is answering the questions e.g. is this a policy that applies to all EE customers regardless of their disabilities, mobility, age, location etc? Not everyone can just ‘pop into’ an EE shop. Personally I will struggle to get to a shop before my contract ends so may end up paying over the odds for a service I no longer want, after my contract has formally expired. Is everyone who forgets, or does not know where their phone was purchased bound by the terms of their contract until they remember or can get to an EE shop? I do not believe there is complete inflexibility and that there are no other options.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@GarryCwrote:

If I cannot get to a shop before my contract ends next week I will be paying well over the odds for a service I no longer want, which is pretty outrageous. 

You have to give 30 days notice so if it ends next week you'll be paying another month anyway.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by
EE Employee

Hi @GarryC

The policy applies to all EE customers:

You can also send a letter including the below

• An acceptable copy of a proof of ID (Driving License or passport)
• The new password you require on your account.
• A contact number.

This can be sent to:

EE
Customer Administration
6 Camberwell Way
Doxford Technology Park
Doxford

Sunderland
Tyne & Wear
SR3 3XN

The Customer Administration Team will create/amend a customer's password within 7 days of receiving the request.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Grand Master
Grand Master

They should be flexible enough to have at least 1 security Q in reserve in case you can't remember 1.

Most firms manage with some of Name, Postcode, 1st line of addy, phone no., email addy, date of birth, place of birth. All things concerning you today, not something that you might have done in the past (except being born Smiley Wink).

I get asked when I last topped up. How the hell should I know w/out looking up my bank statements?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@GarryC  On the last 3 calls I’ve made to customer services I’ve been asked where I got my current device from.  I’ve been asked before now what my current device is and what was my last device, and Ive been asked what was the last bill amount for.    These are perfect for security questions as they are totally random and that’s exactly the point. 

by GarryC
Explorer

Fair point but I still have to make a personal visit to an EE shop before they’ll do anything to my account. I’m struggling to see how that is good customer service. In this day and age of cyber security what other service industries require personal visits to verify ID before they will discuss your contract over the phone (I’m told EE shops cannot manage your account), and all because I couldn’ remember which shop I bought my phone from in the first place?!

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Well many people can tell you where they purchased their phone 

Me for example. Samsung UK online.

by GarryC
Explorer

I agree they are reasonable questions and there should be a degree of randomness. I instantly know what phone I have; I know,  or can easily find out what my last bill was. What I don’t have is instant recall of where all the mobile phones in my house were purchased. I go wherever the best deal is at the time. Maybe it’s just me?

But it doesn’t matter as EE don’t appear to either listen or care. ‘Rules is rules’...

by GarryC
Explorer

Well done. So it’s right that those that are not included in the ‘many’ (which could also be ‘many’) have to visit a store to have their ID verified?

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Go wherever the best deal is?

Surely if you on EE you know what town/city or store you bought it from or if it was CPW then what store/city/town that was from.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

OK lets flip this around a bit.

Lets say EE got a call from some random person pretending to be you.

They ask so many questions after they get them wrong he eventually gets one right.

They let him in. This guy orders new phones under your account etc. EE sends them you pay for these new phones and he gets free phones etc.

You wouldn't be so happy about EEs securiy then would you.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.