by Psychecat Investigator
Investigator

Scam text

I received a random SMS two weeks ago (as below), suggesting I subscribed something. I thought it was a scam as I never subscribed to it. So I didn't call or texted back.

"FreeMsg:You've subscribed to Priyanka Chopra for £0.99/week. Unsubscribe? send STOP PC to 80206.Need help? Call 08009247988"

Today I noticed there have been two 99p charges on my bill, one per week.

I have googled the service number and found out that people reported this was a scam, but didn't seem to be able to find a permanent way to stop this.

Has anyone come across something similar? Is this something EE can help ?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Scam text

These will be reversed-charged texts from Premium Rate nos. you may have inadvertently subscribed to via Web or TV. EE are not obliged to refund you but you may complain to the Premium rate regulator Phone-paid Services Authority or the firm itself. You can check out those nos. yourself on that site.

You could try texting STOP to the number, but it may cost and may not work. 

You should also ask EE to block Premium Rate numbers so this doesn't happen in future.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
11 REPLIES 11
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

These will be reversed-charged texts from Premium Rate nos. you may have inadvertently subscribed to via Web or TV. EE are not obliged to refund you but you may complain to the Premium rate regulator Phone-paid Services Authority or the firm itself. You can check out those nos. yourself on that site.

You could try texting STOP to the number, but it may cost and may not work. 

You should also ask EE to block Premium Rate numbers so this doesn't happen in future.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Psychecat,

Thanks for joining the EE Community.

That's great advice from @XRaySpeX, if you get in touch with customer services they can block all premium rate services on your account.

If you would rather not block all premium rate services, please reply with STOP to the SMS in question.

Take a look at our billing help pages for more information.

Hope this helps. Smiley Happy

James

by Psychecat Investigator
Investigator

Thanks a lot both. I've called EE to block Premium Rate numbers. 

I don't know how much it would cost to replying the sms or calling the service provider. I suspect it'll cost more than a potential refund of £1.98.

by
EE Employee

Hi @Psychecat

Glad you got them blocked, better to be safe.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance.

by Degs01

Re: Scam text billing-Id-EE

We have been unable to process your last bill. To avoid suspension of your contract update your details here www.billing-id-ee.co.uk

Beware - this is fake

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Degs01: Obviously not EE:

Domain name:
        billing-id-ee.co.uk

Registrant:
        Dean manley

Registrant type:
        UK Individual

Registrant's address:
        The registrant is a non-trading individual who has opted to have their
        address omitted from the WHOIS service.

Norton don't like it either.

by
EE Employee

Hi @Degs01 and welcome the community.

I have passed this over to the relevant team 🙂

Cheers

Lee

by number1barber
Explorer

I had a osprey hub for 3 years. went to cancel my service and found 2 years of charges to the hub. EE last months charge is due in two days and despite the 2 years of charges they still want me to pay next month as well because of the 30 days notice which they will not waive. The EE lady said they couldnt just block premium services? Really to a hub with no screen ok thats awesome. So then i spoke to payguru yeah no problem we will refund so they did they refunded £25 not the £115 it should be. When i called back she was suddenly unhelpful and wants me to chase the company PRIYANKA CHOPRA which i cant find any details of online. So now not only will i still have to pay the extra in two days but now im expected to chase another company to get my money back. Money which should never have been taken by EE in the first place. It should be impossible for a premium service to be charged to a hub because i should be protected but i wasnt. Thanks EE super great job

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@number1barber: What no. are these texts from?

A MBB router is capable of receiving & sending SMS despite it having no screen of its own.

by number1barber
Explorer

No number was shown or given I was just given the company payguru. Whilst I'm aware the hub can receive a text you can not see the text so a premium service is useless therefore EE should protect it's customers from these companies instead of me now having to chase a company to get my money back.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.