by Vkhromova Investigator
Investigator

Roaming in Kenya

Hi I am a PAYG customer, previously in orange, but now with ee/orange. I could previously connect to networks in Kenya for roaming, but have not been able to this time.  I was roaming with same device and SIM outside of EU only a few months ago. Data roaming is ticked, networks are available where I am, but can't register on any if them for roaming.  Any help greatly appreciated. 

13 REPLIES 13
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Roaming in Kenya

How many months ago? EE PAYG SIMs are deactivated after 6 months of non-use. You then have a further 3 months to call EE to reactivate it before it is lost completely.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

Hi, I was using my sim in the UK 5 days ago, so definitely not that.  

by
EE Employee

Hi @Vkhromova and welcome to the community.

Please perform a manual network search and select Safaricom.

Does this help?

Many thanks,

Lee

Investigator

Thank you for the suggestion. I have tried it a few times, but just says 'unable to connect 😣

by
EE Employee

Hi @Vkhromova

I have double checked the status of the partnership of our network and the Kenyan network, all seems well.

There may be an issue with the local infrastructure, are you with anyone that has a connection via a UK network.

Many thanks,

Lee

Investigator

Hi Lee, no unfortunately not. Should I try the SIM in a different device? 

by
EE Employee

Hi @Vkhromova

Are you able to speak to anyone local to see if they are experiencing any outages?

Many thanks,

Lee

Investigator

Hi, I have been trying to connect to all available networks for the last few days. People eithsafsrivom phones are not experiencing any problems 

by
EE Employee

Hi and welcome to the community @Vkhromova.

Please do keep trying to manual network search.

Let me know how you get on.

Many thanks,

Lee

Investigator

Hi, I've been doing the manual search and attempting to connect to different networks for 5 days now, I have also tried using my sim in a different phone but I have encountered exactly the same problem 'unable to connect'. I'm struggling to see how this will change if I have been trying for 5 days already. Is there anything else I can try? Thanks 

by
EE Employee

Hi @Vkhromova

This is very unusual indeed have you used your phone in Kenya previously?

Many thanks,

Lee

Investigator

Hi Lee,  I travel to Kenya once a year most years. I had a similar problem last year where I was only able to connect to a network to roam very briefly, but most if the time I had no connection. Prior to last year I did not have any problems and have had the same sim for the whole time and the same phone for several years. Very puzzling indeed. 

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Vkhromova,

This will need to be investigated by our technical team.

Please get in touch with customer services when you can.

Thanks

James

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.