Highlighted
by Profile closed
Not applicable

Question(s) on Spend Cap?

So, I've seen people talking about having a Spend Cap... I wondered if I had one. I hadn't set one up personally. But I wondered if I had one by default. So, I texted Help to 150 to get a list of texting options and then expanded the reply to show me all options. And I explored Spend Cap. There seems to be no checker. Am I right on that? Anyway, I set one up at £5 because I very rarely spend outside of my plan. And it got setup and confirmed. I still don't know if I had had one on my account previous to this by default though. Would I have had one? I hope I would have had one by default. Can anyone tell me? 

P.S: Am I the only one who uses commas on this site properly?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor
Solution

Re: Question(s) on Spend Cap?

If you do it online, you choose the cap as part of the check out process, not sure about in-store or over the phone but Ofcom rules (as of 01/10/18) state you must be offered one.

And they work independent of Bars, but if everything is barred, you'll never hit your cap anyway.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

You get one by default now, but only since 1st October 2018. If you took your contract out before that, then you would only have had a cap if you had specifically requested one.

by Profile closed
Not applicable

You can set a Spend Cap up to £50 to limit some out of bundle charges like international calls and roaming. We'll tell you when you're close to reaching it, and you can pause, remove or change it while it's in use.
If you're the account holder you can text the following codes to 150 for free:
ADD SPEND CAP
CHANGE SPEND CAP
PAUSE SPEND CAP
REMOVE SPEND CAP

For your information, below is a list of things we on Pay Monthly accounts may text / services we may use via texting to 150. There are other things PAYG users may text to 150 but they aren't below.

150 is a free service in the UK and EU and will be charged at local rates from other countries.
Our most popular services are:

BALANCE: Balance and allowance information incl Data
UPGRADE: Upgrade info
RO country name: Roaming info, RO ITALY for example
ROAMING: Check if your phone is set up to use abroad
CR: Make a card payment
APP: Download the My EE App
UPDATEME: Low allowance alerts
NUMBER: What's my number
BAR: Bar third party premium rate services
UNBAR: Remove the third party premium rate services bar
BILL: Summary of recent invoices and payments
VM ON or VM OFF to control diverts to your voicemail
SPORT : For more on our exclusive BT Sport offer
COVER : Check what insurance cover your phone has
OFFERS : Find out if you can get even greater value for your money

STOP to 1234: To opt out of marketing communications

More info can be found at ee.co.uk/text150

by Profile closed
Not applicable

@ewanrw wrote:

You get one by default now, but only since 1st October 2018. If you took your contract out before that, then you would only have had a cap if you had specifically requested one.

That's good tho know. I couldn't see the amount though. Would the default one for me likely to have been £50 then. It said I already had one when I went to check / to add one but it didn't tell me the amount.

Also, am I right to think that Spend Cap can function both with or without Bar being turned on? Bar being to bar third party and premium services...

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor
Solution

If you do it online, you choose the cap as part of the check out process, not sure about in-store or over the phone but Ofcom rules (as of 01/10/18) state you must be offered one.

And they work independent of Bars, but if everything is barred, you'll never hit your cap anyway.

View solution in original post

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Profile closed

Thanks for posting 🙂

You can find all the information you need on EE Spend caps on our How do I set up and manage my spend cap Help page.

Leanne 🙂

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Profile closed: Wouldn't the CHANGE SPEND CAP start out by telling you how much you have at the mo' before asking for the new amount?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Profile closed
Not applicable

@XRaySpeX wrote:

@Profile closed: Wouldn't the CHANGE SPEND CAP start out by telling you how much you have at the mo' before asking for the new amount?

It might do. I'll look and get back to you... I looked again and no it doesn't tell you what you are on or if you are on it at all via the texting... It will allow you to set it up and confirm it by text though.

But anyway I've since seen that it's all displayed clearly in My EE online account. 

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.