by ninja_ww15 Investigator
Investigator

Prizefun text Scam 700046123 (SB7 Mobile Limited)

After checking my EE bill it came to my attention that a Premium rate Text service has taken £63.75 over 4 months from my account fraudulently.

I contacted EE customer services and was told that it was third party billing, I explained I have never subscribed to this company or agreed for this payment to be deducted from my account.

EE advised me to contact this company to ask it to stop. Ok Firstly why would I contact a fraudulent company who charges extortionate fees and give them personal details? It's like the police telling you after a burglary to get in touch with the burglars to get your stuff back!!

Secondly EE's stance on this appears to be 'well its nothing to do with us'.

Well not really true, they are taking money from my account (using a direct debit that I set up with them only not third party fraudsters) and giving it the scammers. Not only that after researching this on the net it appears that the media (ITV and newspapers) contacted EE to ask if they were making profit from these services. Vodaphone admitted they were and EE refused to comment!

More worryingly EE claims they can't stop these payments!! I’ve complained to the PSA but they don't fill me with confidence, the company that are ripping me off were Adjudicated on and fined for doing exactly the same thing in 2010!! The PSA only gave them a slap on the wrist and a £30K fine (The max is £250K) It appears the fine has not put this company off as they must be raking in millions from this scam whilst firms like EE look the other way.

I look forward to hearing EE's response to this and would like to know: Are you making money from this Scam?

I would like for this kind of activity to stop and bar any services like this from my account. I also don't accept that this is 'nothing to do with them' as my phone proivider they are taking money from my account and passing it on to fraudsters! I would like to be refunded the money that has been taken from me.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?

10 REPLIES 10
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Prizefun text Scam 700046123 (SB7 Mobile Limited)

@ninja_ww15   EE are only passing on the bill to you as it's your number that's got this charge against it.   EE are not going to pick up the bill for you.   It's down to you to stop this not EE you have even by accident subscribe to this service.      

I  suggest you contact the company in question and ask they stop billing you and you also demand a refund.  You know who they are.  

by Grand Master
Grand Master

it's a service ID for a third party charge. You can check these service IDs for third party charges at http://ee.co.uk/help/accounts-billing-and-topping-up/billing-and-payment/your-bill-explained/third-p...

The number you checked belongs to:

60445 - Text    Competition Service    Provider - SB7 Mobile Limited
Phone - 03301340181  Email - help@sb7mobile.com

Who can I talk to about my charges?
Get in touch with the third party directly – their contact details are above.
We only bill you on their behalf. So, we’re not able to answer questions about your charges or give you a refund.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

These will be reversed-charged texts from Premium Rate nos. you may have inadvertently subscribed to via Web or TV. EE are not obliged to refund you but you may complain to the Premium rate regulator Phone-paid Services Authority or the firm itself. You can check out those nos. yourself on that site.

The PSA has the following information about shortcode number:

Customer care number: 0330 134 0185 
Customer care email: help@kpmobtech.com 
Customer care website: http://www.prizenut.com/contactus 
Search result provided by: KP Mobile Technologies Limited 
Service connected on: 24 June 2016 
Service terminated on: This service is still operating 
Name of service: PrizeNut.com 
Type of service: Competition - non-scratchcard 
Service description: Competitions 
How much does this service cost? £4.50 per week subscription 

If you would like to find out more about this service or have a question about it, then you should contact the service provider: KP Mobile Technologies Limited

Griva Digeni
115 Trident Centre
Limassol

N.B. They are actually taking £63.75 + VAT = £76.50 (in 17 payments).

You could try texting STOP to the number, but it may cost and may not work. 

You should also ask EE to block Premium Rate numbers so this doesn't happen in future.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

Thanks for your reply. I've contacted the PSA and hopefully they will cancel the subscription as I'm wary about contacting a company like this, how much would the call likely to cost me?? 😡 EE shouldn't be billing me on anyone's behalf without my direct authorisation. It is ridiculous a company like this can take money from my account with just my mobile phone number obtained fraudulently and my Service provider allows it! This is a loophole in the law which is being exploited by criminals and nothing is being done about it.

Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone

by
EE Employee

Re: Prizefun text Scam 700046123 (SB& Mobile Limited)

Hi @ninja_ww15

I understand your frustration.

You can text the word BAR to 150 and this will block premium rate and third party services on your account.

Many thanks,

Lee

Investigator

Thanks Lee but it is shocking. so not only do EE take a cut of the profits the government do as well with VAT. You really couldn't make this up. I wonder how independent the PSA are?? I don't know how they have got my mobile number but they certainly didn't get it from me. Yet I'm the one who pays. EE are totally failing there customers by not protecting them better and complicit in the scam by profiting. Disgraceful. How can scammers managing to steal money from me and use EE to do it with just a phone number??? 😬🔫

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@ninja_ww15 wrote:

I don't know how they have got my mobile number

It's carried in your Internet packet headers, by courtesy of EE.

Investigator

Thanks X-Ray 👍. That explains it. All they would have to do is get the number from that then register me as a subscriber!! 

Right I'm having a Jack Daniels before I break something. 😡😜

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Posted in the open:

@ninja_ww15 wrote:

how can I look at the internet packets on my phone to reveal my mobile number?

cheers for your help btw

Dunno about on a mobile network but on a proper computer LAN you'd use a Packet Sniffer.

by yemovic

I had similar problem but through a different network - Vodafone not EE. It's appalling that the networks are looking the other way though.

Do a brief Companies House check on SB7, Juice or Nuyoo and you will see that these companies are owned and operated by the same shady directors who have mastered the art of exploting the legal loop holes around these matter. That's why they still remain in business even after numerous complaints from mobile customers and court fines.

These dubious companies operate and earn profit by volume. My Vodafone account got charged £15 lately by Nuyoo, a company owned and managed by the same directors of SB7. Do a companies house check on them and you'll see the number of times they've changed company names and director names. Now do a Google search on each of these companies with the keyword 'scam' appended and you'll be surprised they've been in the deception business for long. The problem here is the regulatory bodies are toothless and a slap on the wrist doesn't deter them because look at it, their ideal victims are busy people with changes to spare or too busy and wealthy they are not aware of these charges to their account for a long time. Let's do the maths here:

100,000 people are being scammed by persuading them to click some dubious banner and they are charged even as minimal as £5 (whereas some charges go as high as £30 per service). That's £500,000 right. It's a lucrative business for the dubious companies and the networks because say the networks charge 20% for every billing then a network would earn £25,000 in this scenario and the dubious company - Nuyoo, SB7 etc takes home £475,000. Now if 40% of the 100,000 victims calls for refund and they are told they will be refunded £3 out of the £5 based on goodwill (Goodwill! so insulting) through some sort of check or postal claim they will have to travel to the post office to claim. Now ask yourself, how many out of these busy victims would have the time to make this journey just to claim £2? So say if only 5% of the 40% that called to claim refund eventually made the trip, that is 2,000 x £3 refunds processed (excluding the network fees) which is £6000.

So the dubious company will in the end take home £475,000 - £6,000 = £469,000. Now tell me that as cunning, crafty, shady these company directors are, they wouldn't easily reserve about £50,000 for legal matters and court settlements in the event they are dragged to court? 

It's a scheme, open your eyes!!! The sooner premium charges to mobile networks are stopped and the sooner the regulatory bodies have more power, the better for the public.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.