by Daleish Investigator
Investigator

One-off payment keeps getting declined

Hi, I'm trying to make a one-off payment of a large EE bill I incurred whilst abroad on business. I'm attempting to use my credit card but it keeps being declined on the EE website, automated phone system, and speaking to a customer service advisor. I usually pay through direct debit, but don't want this bill to come out of my debit account.

The customer service advisor told me to contact my card provider. When I did they advised me that the card is fine and they haven't received any request for any payment from EE. Is there something wrong with EE's payment system currently? Or am I doing something wrong? Can someone advise?

13 REPLIES 13
by
EE Employee

Re: One-off payment keeps getting declined

Good Evening @Daleish

Thanks for coming to the Community! Smiley Happy

Have you ever used this card before to make a payment?

What type of card are you trying to use?

Just in case as well - has your bill already been produced?

If it has the amount will already be set for Direct Debit.

Any additional card payments need to be made at least 3 days before the bill is produced.

Thanks - Karen. Smiley Happy

by Daleish Investigator
Investigator

Have you ever used this card before to make a payment? No. The person on the phone at customer services assured me that this wasn't the cause of the error.

What type of card are you trying to use? It's a Barclaycard with plenty of available balance.

Just in case as well - has your bill already been produced? Not that I'm aware of. Direct Debit says it comes out on the 22nd of this month. Anyway I don't see how that would stop me making a payment to my account? I'd imagine you can make a payment whenever you like, regardless of the bill? The customer services person also assured this wasn't the issue as the balance would just go on my account anyway.

If it has the amount will already be set for Direct Debit.

Any additional card payments need to be made at least 3 days before the bill is produced. What if my payment was for next month's bill? That's more than 3 days away.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

"Any additional card payments need to be made at least 3 days before the bill is produced." means for that additional payment to be credited to this bill & not the next 1.

Looks like your bill is due to be produced on the 15th, only 2 days time.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Daleish Investigator
Investigator

So why does it allow you to attempt to make a payment without warning on the website? And how would you know how much to pay if the bill wasn't produced?

And why did the customer services person say that it would still be credited to my account regardless? Every other account I have, be it electricity, internet, council tax etc will allow any additional payment to be made and will just keep the account in credit.

Seems a bit of an obvious answer to why it would be declined that the customer services person didn't know the answer to?

Edit: I've been trying to pay this for the last 2 days, so would have been 4 days before the bill..

by Grand Master
Grand Master

It is credited to your account regardless, but not in the calculation of the current bill if it is within 3 days of the bill being produced.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Daleish Investigator
Investigator

Which doesn't explain why it's being declined still? 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

No, I'm not trying to explain that as it's inexplicable. There is no apparent reason for your payment to be declined. I'm just commenting on some, but not all, of your statements.

by Daleish Investigator
Investigator

Cheers for the input..

Can anyone provide any answers to my question?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

I wonder if it's connected with your card? Is it a Barclaycard Visa or Mastercard or what? Is it a UK card? Do you have it registered to a UK addy?

by Daleish Investigator
Investigator

Yeah it's a barclaycard visa, UK registered to the same address my EE account is. Spoken to them and they said they can't even see an attempt to take a payment from EE and theyve informed me they wouldn't block it. I've made bigger payments online using the card before, so I'm pretty sure it's something this end.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Daleish,

I've double checked and there are no faults logged with our payment system at the moment.

Please get in touch with customer services so we can try again for you.

Thanks

James

by Daleish Investigator
Investigator

No it's still not working. Still being told it's 'probably the bank', who say they can't even see the payment as it isn't reaching them.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Daleish,

I'm sorry that you are still having problems using your card to make a payment.

Unfortunately, we are not best placed to help you in the community as we do not have access to your account or the payment system.

Thanks

James 

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.