by Jarson Investigator
Investigator

No contract phone without british id

Good afternoon, I have been in EE shop today to ask about prices on monthly contracts for iphone7. The first question of the person there was if I have british ID? If not then they cant to anything? Whats that about???

10 REPLIES 10
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: No contract phone without british id

@Jarson  It's called security they want to make sure you are who you say you are before you walk out the store with a £600 device. 

by Jarson Investigator
Investigator

Ok but if Im not british rezident and I dont have british passport or ID I
dont have the right to buy the phone?
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Hello @Jarson

Welcome to the Community. Smiley Happy

I don't know why the EE Store has asked you for "British I.D", can I ask where are you from and what I.D do you have?

by Jarson Investigator
Investigator

I am from Slovakia and my passport and ID are both Slovakian

by Jarson Investigator
Investigator

And thank you for welcoming:)

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Jarson  The store shouldn't be asking for British iD just ID so they can confirm who you say you are.  And as long as you pass the credit check you should be able to get a contract device. 

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Smiley Happy

As I mentioned previously, I don't know why they asked you for "British I.D". I can't see why your EU I.D wouldn't be sufficient.

I'm tagging a Community Support Team @Karen_C to get some more information on why the EE Store is asking for "British I.D".

As far as I am aware, EU issued I.D is acceptable in the U.K. as U.K. banks ask for EU citizens to provide their EU issued I.D when opening a bank account.

by Jarson Investigator
Investigator

I dont know Im a bit shocked from it...All I did was just asked that I would like to get Iphone for contract and what offers they have and what they said was "Ok before we start, Have you got british ID or passport" and I asked "really?" And they said "yes we know its doing our head in too, but we have to scan it" or something like that Im not sure how to write the part with the "head in"... you know what I mean. And I asked "if its some kind of joke or they are serious" and they said "yes we are sorry" ... Maybe I understand something wrong...?

by
EE Employee

Hi and welcome to the Community @Jarson.

I have sent you a Private Message to look into your store experience.

Many thanks,

Lee

by
EE Employee

Hi @Jarson

I have had a reply in regards to your query from our retail team.

"The customer can use an international passport, or british passport as ID for a Tier 1 Device (iphone e.g) this ID would need to be scanned and only the ID machine can tell the store if it is accepted or not"

Let me know if you would like to follow this up further.

Many thanks,

Lee

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions