Highlighted
by Frank550 Investigator
Investigator

New to EE - 4gee router upgrade question

I recently moved house and as the landline/broadband option was so poor due to being rural, I was advised to look at a 4gee setup, which I have now got. 

Unfortunately, I only opted for the 100gb package which it turns out will be woefully short of requirement. I have been told that I cant upgrade until July (I think). This will obviously cost me a small fortune in add-ons every month.

My question is, is it possible to swap sims in the router, and obtain an unlimited data sim?

Thanks.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor
Solution

Re: New to EE - 4gee router upgrade question

Hey @Frank550,

Welcome to the EE community!

You can insert any EE sim card into the 4GEE router, so purchasing a sim with a higher data package would work.

However, if you want to insert a sim from another provider in to the 4GEE device, you will need to unlock it first via your online account. You can only do this if you have had the device for at least 6 months as per the terms and conditions.

Hope this helps, let us know what you go with!

Thanks,

Alex

If I solved your issue, please click the 'solved' button below to help others!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Prodigious Contributor
Solution

Hey @Frank550,

Welcome to the EE community!

You can insert any EE sim card into the 4GEE router, so purchasing a sim with a higher data package would work.

However, if you want to insert a sim from another provider in to the 4GEE device, you will need to unlock it first via your online account. You can only do this if you have had the device for at least 6 months as per the terms and conditions.

Hope this helps, let us know what you go with!

Thanks,

Alex

View solution in original post

by Frank550 Investigator
Investigator

Thanks @Alex_M.

My next daft question..... in the shop there are sims showing for routers and sims for phones, obviously the better deals are the sim only deals for phones. Can I use one of those?

Thanks

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, you may use any SIM in a mobile BB router incl. an unlimited data phone SIM.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Frank550 Investigator
Investigator

Thanks @XRaySpeX and @Alex_M for your prompt responses, its always good to know that answers are out there.

cheers

Frank 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome 🙂 ! Glad I could be of assistance & it is now sorted.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Prodigious Contributor

No problem @Frank550! Have a great weekend 👍

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.