cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Missold contract

Amyb85
Investigator
Investigator

I went into store today to upgrade my phone.

I was told my phone would be £35 a month and that for an extra £3 a month I could get a tablet on contract. Super I thought!

However on looking my phone is actually only £25 a month and therefore I'm paying an extra £13 a month for the tablet!

I'm not happy about this....is there anything I can do? Can I get out of the tablet contract?

24 REPLIES 24
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

There is no "change of mind" return policy when buying from a shop. You accepted the price offered in the shop, not a price you may have seen elsewhere.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

I accepted the price because they lied to me about the monthly cost of the phone

Well, go back & take them up on it.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Well I obviously will, was just seeing if anyone had any advice/experience of a similar situation - as it will be my word against theirs so not feeling hopeful 

Profile closed
Not applicable

@Amyb85 wrote:

I accepted the price because they lied to me about the monthly cost of the phone

Maybe you misheard the £25 per month as £35 per month for the phone. And when you were told it would be £38 per month with the tablet added, you then understood that as £3 extra instead of £13 extra for the tablet.

You didn't clarify things. You should have done. 

You did not then read the contract or at least the basics of it before signing it. You ought to do have done so.

So, you made some errors. And it all will be costing you the £38 a month you thought, just not split as you had wrongly thought. 

I think you'll find it hard to argue your case. And I don't think you were missold. 

The guys in the shop told me it was £3 extra a month for the tablet - so I didn't mishear that bit. And I did then ask them "so it's £3 a month extra for the tablet?" To which they answered yes

On the screen before you sign it doesn't state the price you are signing for it just says that you are signing up and agreeing to pay monthly blah blah blah. The actual paper work I didn't get until I left the shop and then it was just placed into my bag

I've already said it's going to be difficult as it's my word against theirs

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Amyb85,

Welcome to the EE Community.

I'm sorry to hear there has been some confusion about your price plan.

I would recommend visiting the store and explaining your concerns. They'll be happy to help.

Thanks

James

Profile closed
Not applicable
Hi, Amy, in that case the seller did pull a fast one on you. It would have
been a conscious trick by him to make you think that you were being offered
an mega awesome deal on the tablet as an extra. If he's done this to you
then he will have done similar to others.

Mind you, you were willing and indeed happy to pay £35 per month for the
phone part of the deal, which you actually got for £25 per month. So, what
you have to decide is whether you'd have added the tablet for £13 per
month. Either way, your overall price for both phone and tablet per month
was £38.

Thus, technically and actually you do have a case. You ought to be able to
complain and cancel your deal, or at least the tablet part of it. You could
of course save yourself £13 per month by doing so, and not the £3 you were
told. You could highlight this person's trickery and crafty selling
practice to him and the store.

Sorry that I doubted you initially. I'm just not familiar with such selling
trickery like what you experienced. Yes, you were missold and tricked -
albeit at the same overall price.

Please, do let us know how you get on.

@Profile closed wrote:
 which you actually got for £25 per month.

Where's that come from? I take it that OP saw same phone online with EE for £25.