by Love2laugh85
Explorer

Is there any way to come out of my contract early due to emigrating?

I have been a loyal EE customer for a few contracts but I have recently emigrated and I can't use my allowances in the country I am in. I want to come out of my contract but have been told this isn't possible unless I pay £800. I obviously don't mind paying something but having to cover THE WHOLE REMAINING CONTRACT PRICE seems steep and unfair. I can understand covering the cost of the phone but to pay for minutes, texts and data I haven't used seems ridiculous to me. I know I took out the contract and that I signed but surely there are exceptions like this. When I took out the contract I did in good faith that I would complete it but life happens and I moved abroad. I want to take this further and I will but I thought I'd see if anyone had any advice for me!! I just feel that under the circumstances surely something can be done!!!! Any advice please!!

5 REPLIES 5
by Profile closed
Not applicable

Re: Is there any way to come out of my contract early due to emigrating?

There are no expectations to this rule unfortunately, unless you are in the armed forces and get posted abroad.

What you can do though is transfer the contract to someone else just as long as you have had your current contract for at least 3 months.  It can be a friend or family member.  They  will have to have a credit check performed on them though in the usual way.

More details can be found here.

by Love2laugh85
Explorer

The link doesn't help as none of these options are suitable for me. No one wants to take on a contract with what is now a second hand phone and actually quite a pricey plan compared to other providers. I have no intention of continuing using this phone and I need a solution. No way am I paying for data and minutes I will not use!!! Maybe I'll just cancel the direct debit. 

Is there an email address for correspondence with EE as I cannot call from here as your charges are too high!!! 

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Love2laugh85,

Welcome to the EE Community.

It's not possible to waive any costs associated with terminating your contract early I'm afraid.

I would not recommend cancelling your direct debit as this could have a detrimental affect on your credit history.

If you would like to discuss this further, don't hesitate to get in touch.

Thanks

James

by Grand Master
Grand Master

There is no solution other than paying off the contract you agreed to for the whole of the remaining term.

Cost of cancelling or upgrading early will be Monthly Fee x Months Remaining, pro-rata to the nearest whole day, of contract term - VAT (16.7%). VAT is not due on termination fees.

You have already been warned of the risks of cancelling your DD unilaterally.

There is no email contact for mobile users. You could use the Freephone no. in my sig. over Skype for free.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Love2laugh85   If you wish to take it farther you'll not get anywhere as it's a contract between two parties and both parties agreed to the terms of that contract.  

If there was exceptions it'll be in the terms of conditions of the contract that both parties agreed too. 

You also should of been

told or read before you agreed to the contract that fee of £XXXX will be paid each month until the minimum term of that contract.   If you agreed to that then you know what you was getting into before you agreed to the contract. 

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.