Re: Introducing our new unlimited plans

Hi there @plymouthbloke

I have sent you a private message on here to get some details 🙂

Leanne.

by thisisjig
Visitor

Hello! First-time poster here.

I recently moved onto a 100Gb Smart Sim Only plan (£35) and it comes with 2 Swappables. Very happy with this, because I tend to travel a lot and with Roam Further and Music Data Pass, I appear to have 15Gb data use while roaming in the US, plus unlimited streaming of my Deezer subscription without it eating into my 15Gb of fair use. I’ve also added the Video Data Pass as a ~£9 add-on. Total being £44/month. All lovely.

I then discovered the 5G Unlimited Sim Only plan at £44, which comes with 3 Swappables. I figured it would make sense to upgrade to that and use the third Swappable for the Video Data Pass. Effectively, the monthly cost would be the same as my current plan (as I’d no longer be paying for the £9 add-on), but with the benefit of unlimited data (and being ready for 5G if I buy a new phone). Sounded great to me, in theory.

I called EE and it turns out that Music Data Pass and Video Data Pass are not available on the 5G Unlimited Plan because they’d be redundant given that the plan has unlimited data by default. The problem I have with this rationale is that whilst there would be no need for it in the UK, it makes a huge difference when roaming, as any video or music streaming would then fall under the standard 15Gb fair use policy (which would dwindle quickly). When I explained this to the service agent (who was very helpful, in any case), he told me that even these data passes are subject to the fair use policy. However, if that were the case, why would the terms of these data passes specifically state that they apply wherever we have inclusive roaming? The agent still wasn’t getting my point.

I decided to put it to the test. I have just downloaded a bunch of shows and movies via Netflix and Prime Video, and the current usage (according to MyEE) is around 20Gb. This has not been deprecated from my standard data allowance, which makes sense as the Video/Music Data Pass is supposed to apply in the EU (and 5 other countries in combination with the Roam Further Pass). Fantastic!

However, this means that if I were to upgrade from 100Gb to Unlimited Data, I would actually be losing the ability to stream Netflix/Prime and Deezer while roaming, without it coming out of my 15Gb fair use allowance. The rationale that the Video and Music Data Passes are redundant on Unlimited Data plans is pretty flawed from a customer perspective. They are absolutely relevant for those who frequently travel.

Am I missing something here? 🙂

by Sir

One phone and two additional phones on sharing plans (making a total of three phones.

i believe I can share one of the phones with 100gb a month (as it’s a 4g Plan) .. yet what about the other phone? Can that have no data?

Thoughts please EE Community please

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

You can share the first 100GB to any phone.

So 50GB to phone 1 and 50GB to phone 2.

But if you have used 10GB you'll only have 90GB to share.

So of you transfer the data on day 1 of refresh you can transfer thr full 100GB

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Android 10/One UI 2.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by Ck349

Totally get you,I've been with ee for over a decade yet when I wanted an extra line(which they kept offering it to me each time I called) when I applied for the extra line at the same time as my upgrades they said all gone through fine yet when the product didn't arrive I rang to be informed I was not accepted even though at the time of the call to upgrade my phone, to which I reduced my monthly payment to accommodate the cost of new line I was basically lied to as the ee rep stated I would receive all the products we had discussed and even told me my extra line would be at a discounted price because of the upgrade.  Feel so let down as been a loyal customer for so so long but also appalled at the way the whole situation was handled. I always praised ee to everyone and stayed loyal for so long because felt like a valued customer but on their customer response surveys before I always put a 10-highest score now a minus 10 would be too much praise.  As people say you don't get anything for staying loyal to a company no matter how many years and I have 3 members of my family on my account with them plus my broadband but I will be leaving as soon as possible.  So let them ask me again how likely I would be to reccomend ee to anyone and I certainly would do the opposite 

by
EE Community Support Team

Good Morning @Ck349.

Thanks for coming to the community, I am sorry to hear the circumstances as to why you have visited us. 

When you spoke with our mobile care team did they advise why this happened?

Did they provide you any further steps to take?

Speak soon, 

Katie 🙂

by dp61 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Any news on when unlimited data will come to pay as you go? 

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

I would say never, gives them a selling point to go on a contract
Established Contributor

That's such a shame 😔
I hope they do offer unlimited data on pay as you go one day ☺️

Sent From My Android Phone
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@dp61   And what would be hey charge for it,  just look at the price for unlimited data plans on contract 

Established Contributor

I think they should charge £35

Established Contributor

Also, a lot of people don't want to be tied into a expensive contract. 

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@dp61 wrote:

Also, a lot of people don't want to be tied into a expensive contract. 

EE are out to make money giving PAYG customers unlimited data when they are then not tied in to stay with EE has no incentive for EE to do this so EE will most likely not give out unlimited data for PAYG and will make it a selling point to get people to sign up to contracts.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@dp61 wrote:
I think they should charge £35

Really for PAYG when I pay less then that on a sim only contract for Unlimited data, This isn't going to happen as they have me tied for 12 months. PAYG can walk at anytime.

by Edy
Explorer

Hi I have a contract for 4gee home broadband that is capped at 200gb. The contract is up in about a months time. Was wondering if I could put an unlimited data sim in the ee router. I also have a mobile phone plan with you as well. 

by

Good Afternoon @Edy.

Welcome back to the community. 

This will work however. if you regularly tether 12 or more devices we will consider this non-personal use and have the right to move you to a more suitable plan. We will also consider usage above 1000GB/month to be commercial use and have the right to move you to a business plan.

Katie 🙂

by cheelas
Explorer

Hi,

I'm now sniffing around for some 4G / 5G data. Openreach are useless. I've got a 4G access point linked to a router which then uses both 4G and Openreach to provide the internet to the network.

At the moment I don't have a SIM card in it, have had EE in the past. If I got an unlimited SIM, I'm thinking that it'd recognise my router (separate to the modem) as a device but that's it. 1 device, regardless of what's using it behind the router, which might be less than 12 anyway.

Am I right? :S

by

Hi @cheelas,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

You'd need to be connecting less than 12 devices to the router as mentioned in the terms and conditions.

If you regularly tether 12 or more devices, we will consider this non-personal use and have the right to move you to a more suitable plan.

Thanks

James

by cheelas
Explorer

Thanks James,

In that case, is it possible to get this plan, but SIM only? I've already got a couple of 4G access points, including this EE one from previous contracts.

https://shop.ee.co.uk/dongles/pay-monthly-mobile-broadband/4gee-router/details

I'm thinking the 500Gb a month for £50.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions