by cmo Investigator
Investigator

Has Data Sharing been replaced by Data Gifting?

Hello,

I have three lines: two of which share my data plan.

I wanted to add another data sharer line but when I called, the EE rep said they weren't available anymore. They had been replaced by using Data Gifting.

Is this correct?

Data sharing was awesome. Now I'm going to have to monitor who needs data and transfer it... which isn't awesome.

Cheers

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by
EE Community Support Team
Solution

Re: Has Data Sharing been replaced by Data Gifting?

Yes, as long as it is a one SIM Shared plan, @tm90.

If you are looking for a phone contract, @cmo, you can add any of our pay monthly contracts to your account as a stand alone plan and gift data between that line and the lead number of your shared plan.

For more information, it may be worth giving our sales team a quick call: 0800 956 6000.

Hope this helps.

Chris 🙂

18 REPLIES 18
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hello @cmo adding a new sharer to an existing shared plan is still available:

http://ee.co.uk/help/add-ons-benefits-and-plans/price-plans-and-costs/shared-plans

by cmo Investigator
Investigator

Thank you. I did see that. But from that page, what does this mean:

"From 10 May 2017, all Shared pay monthly plans have been discontinued with the exception of one SIM Shared plan."

I took two data sharing lines out in July 2017... but last night the EE rep said they weren't available anymore.

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

To my knowledge anyone who was still on an existing shared plan could still add sharers.

EE also still add the shared plan add on to all new EE accounts in case they want to change to a shared plan in the future.

I will tag the EE communiteam in who can confirm.

Hello @Christopher_G @James_B @Leanne_T @Lee_H @Richard_C.

by cmo Investigator
Investigator

Thank you

by

Hi @cmo

Welcome to the community. 🙂

The shared pay monthly plans are no longer available. If you're already on one, it will continue as normal until you change your price plan.

Data gifting is a new service that launched last year. It lets you move data around your devices when someone’s low. Just choose the person who needs data, choose who’s got spare data to gift and that’s it. They’re back online, without you spending an extra penny.

Find more information about data gifting >

Chris 🙂

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Although it is no longer possible to take out a shared plan can a new sharer be added to an existing shared plan? Is it still around £9pm or £13pm for each additional sharer?

by
Solution

Yes, as long as it is a one SIM Shared plan, @tm90.

If you are looking for a phone contract, @cmo, you can add any of our pay monthly contracts to your account as a stand alone plan and gift data between that line and the lead number of your shared plan.

For more information, it may be worth giving our sales team a quick call: 0800 956 6000.

Hope this helps.

Chris 🙂

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Thank you @Christopher_G.

by cmo Investigator
Investigator

Cheers for the help guys

by

You're both welcome, @tm90@cmo.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll do my best to get you some answers.

Chris 🙂

by 2ilent8cho
Explorer

I'm so confused, i have my main handset as the lead on Annual Upgrade Max Plan 100GB £72.99, i did have 4 extra lines sharing my plan, i change 2 of them to Sharer Phone SIM £13 in Januaray this year from Shared Phone £28. I could not change the other 2 lines to SIM Only until 14th Feb. I have just phoned customer services/upgrades to do this and was told i cannot because they do not do sharer plans anymore. 

What is the one SIM shared plan? I do not want to gift data, the whole point of me having a 100GB price plan is so i do not have to think about data. 

by

Has the contract ended on the two lines that you're looking to change to sharers, @2ilent8cho?

I'll look into this a bit further for you.

Chris

by 2ilent8cho
Explorer

They are within the 45 day upgrade Window. I have been told the sharer plans have now been 'ringfenced' and nobody seems able to to change them from a £28 Sharer Phone to £13 SIM Only sharer. 

by

Thanks for the information, @2ilent8cho.

I'm looking into this for you and will give you an update when I have one. 

Chris

by

Hi @cmo @2ilent8cho & @tm90

Just a quick update on the sharer plans:

Sharer plans can no longer be purchased. Customers already on a sharer plan can re-commit to the same sharer plan though if they wish to upgrade.

Apologies for any confusion.

Chris

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Thank you for the update much appreciated.

by

You're welcome @tm90 🙂

Chris

by rmcfarlane

Sharer plans can no longer be purchased. Customers already on a sharer plan can re-commit to the same sharer plan though if they wish to upgrade.

This was not my experience when my contract ended and I wanted to review it. I could either continue paying the high fees for line+device or revert to SIM only on an entirely different deal. Therefore forgoing my simple sharing setup.

Intrinsically there is nothing wrong with Data Sharing, but with no automated way to set it up each month, invariably I miss/ignore my reminder to do it or I am reliant on the angry phone call from the wife when her phone stops working.

Previously I never had to think about it, and I was happy to have one expensive plan to make it all work. Now, this is becoming defunct.

I'm already running a Three sim in parallel on my OnePlus, I have to say I'm very likely to just move in that direction once I get to the end of my sim only deal. Simply over the semantics of this change. Its a shame, I was going to add sim #3 for an iPad to the mix too, but instead, that went to Three also.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions