by Macktheknife Contributor
Contributor

Free upgrade? Not so free!!!

Hi, 

just wondered (if you don’t mind me asking) how much you all pay a month for your mobile phone package? 

The reason I ask is because I’m dissapppointed with ee offer to me... 

we have a shared business account with 3 phones for business purposes which we have had for 3 years all with iPhone 5s. The contract ran out in October but haven’t got round till now to upgrading. 

Currently we pay 29.99 a month per phone with free calls/texts and 4gb of shared data. 

I rang ee up to upgrade, and was told that we can’t because ee don’t do a shared contract anymore and never had according to the lady I spoke to... fair enough it had been along time since we had spoken to them regarding the phones, so asked her how we go about getting a new phone and was told that our only option was the iPhone 7 or later ( they apparently don’t sell any older iPhones than that) despite selling them on their website! 

She quoted me £52.99 a month per phone with 2gb of data each.. 

i think this is expensive but I wondered if I was clearly out of touch with what people pay nowadays for a phone!! 

Sorry to to ramble on but grrr i’m Sure ee could do better than that!!! 

Thank you you for taking the time to read and I look forward to your replies 🙂 

thanks, Macktheknife

7 REPLIES 7
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Re: Free upgrade? Not so free!!!

It'  it expensive phones are gettng more expensive these days.

IPhone X is £999

Galaxy S8+ is £649

Galaxy Note 8 is £849

These have to be paid for as well as the tariff you are choosing.

The iPhone x plans are around £80 -90 a month.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
Contributor

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate that things are getting more expensive but if I paid 52.99 a month for an iPhone 7 the phone would have cost me £2543 at the end of 48 months, a basic iPhone 7 costs £549 from Apple so how come the tarrif for 2gb of data is costing £41.55 a month when I can get a sim only deal from ee for £25 a month with 20gb of data?? 

There logic of pay monthly doesn’t seem to add up! 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi, 

Unfortunately you need to do your homework before speaking to CS, who are always going to try and sell you an inferior and expensive deal, it's tiresome but it's just how EE work. It's not until you point out the better deal does that "suddenly appear" . It's the same with any consumer product or service you have to shop around and find the best deal. 

The deal you had before was probably one of the more expensive deals, however compared with the tariffs today it really poor. Then you need to look at your handset, iPhone are just expensive it's that simple. 

Having said that you are doing the right thing by looking to buy your phone separate to your contract as you can get some cracking sim only deals.

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Tobey76 Investigator
Investigator

You’re being ripped off. My sister in law signed up to a shared plan not to long ago. Business tariff two voice lines and two iPads on a shared data package.

I would call them again and point that out. Otherwise there’s a large competitor (with a big red logo) that does great shared business tariffs. 

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Macktheknife

Thank you for coming to the community.

Although we do not do consumer shared plans anymore, we have a fantastic data gifting service.

I understand that you'd prefer an older version of the iPhone. There are iPhone 6S models available online, I believe.

You can upgrade through your My EE account, if you prefer.

Otherwise, I recommend contacting the upgrades team to discuss this further.

Chris 🙂

Contributor

thank you for all the replies, 

So can we conclude that there is no such thing as a free upgrade? 

Surely an an upgrade would mean me paying the same tarrif for the same amount of time but with a different phone, an iPhone 5s brand new was £549 about the same as an iPhone 7 now so why on earth have we added a random £20 extra a month? 

I appreiciate that in today’s flitting world that there is no customer loyalty anymore but come on, I have been with ee/orange/hutinsons? Since 1994 and I’m upset that my loyalty with their brand has been disregarded.. paid every single bill on time and I even have my blinking broadband with them. 

Has as anyone ever played that card with them and has it gotten you anywhere? 

Cheers, Macktheknife

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Free upgrade means you don' lay an early termination fee.

So yes there is such thing of a free upgrade.

If you were to upgrade before the free upgrade date it would cost you.

And you can stay on the same tariff if they still sell that tariff.

If not then you have to choose a new tariff.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.