by
EE Community Support Team

EE Upgrades: All you need to know

Time for a new phone? Here's how to check if you're due an upgrade with EE.

How can I check to see if I can upgrade?

To do this, tap Menu > Upgrades. My EE will show you the next available date when you can upgrade without paying a fee. It will also show your early upgrade cost (if available).

You can upgrade to a new device and plan if you've got fewer than 45 days to go until your contract renewal date. Alternatively, if you’re in the last 100 days of your contract, you can get the latest device with no early upgrade fee if your new plan is higher than your current plan.

However, if your account has an outstanding balance then you will not be eligible for an upgrade until the outstanding amount is settled.

• If you have a 24 month 4GEE Max Plan which includes Upgrade Anytime and a compatible phone, you can Upgrade Anytime after 15 days.

Find out your upgrade status by text

You can also text UP to 150. You'll then get a text message back informing you whether you're eligible, and explaining what to do next. 

What if I’m not eligible to upgrade; can I upgrade early?

Yes, you can upgrade early if you meet the following criteria:

• You're a SIM Only customer on a 12, 18 or 24 month plan with EE, or you're on any other pay monthly plan with EE.

• You're more than 6 months into your contract with more than 45 days to go before your contract renewal date. Or, if you’re in the last 100 days of your contract, you can get the latest device with no early upgrade fee if your new plan is higher than your current plan.

You can’t upgrade early if:

• You're a business customer.

• You have an outstanding balance on your EE plan.

• You're a mobile broadband customer.

How much will my early upgrade cost?

You can check your early upgrade cost through My EE onlineTo do this log into your account and tap Menu > Upgrades.

If you prefer to have a chat about this, feel free to contact customer services and the upgrades team can go through the cost with you. 

Can I keep my own phone?

You can keep your existing phone or trade it in for cash through our Recycle and Reward scheme.  

However, if you are upgrading with Upgrades Anytime or Annual Upgrade and would like to keep your old phone, you'll have to pay an extra charge depending on how long you've been on your current plan.

What if I change my mind and don’t want to upgrade early; is there a cancellation period?

You can decide to cancel your early upgrade by telling us within 14 days, unless you have chosen to recycle your old phone with Recycle and Reward.

The 14 day cancellation period does not apply to upgrades done in one of our retail stores.

We hope this has answered all of your upgrade questions. If there's anything else you'd like to know, just tap reply below. 

23 REPLIES 23
by jimh56
Visitor

Re: EE Upgrades: All you need to know

I was due an annual upgrade and when i tried to upgrade to a newer phone costing more per month i was told i would lose my discount as i was taking out a new phone.

Ive had up to 5 lines with EE and got a discount on all lines.

But given the way i was treated was told lies IE it was what they call an outbound call center who in my opinion were liars.

very dissapointed and one more unsatified customer.

Oh yes still waiting on a call back from a manager thats been since 15.30.

by

Good Morning @jimh56.

What phone are you looking to upgrade to?

Please let us know the result of the call back, I hope we come to a resolution and keep you with us!

Jon

by uvarvu Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I've just preordered a Pixel 3 two weeks before my free upgrade is due.   As the phone will be delivered after this date is it possible to waive the upgrade fee?

by

Good Morning @uvarvu

I would recommend speaking with our upgrades team in regards to this. 

Come back and let us know how you get on 🙂

Katie

Established Contributor

The upgrade team said no so I had to cancel.   Hopefully my order won't be delayed when I order in a couple of weeks.

by

Let us know when you've ordered again @uvarvu 🙂

Established Contributor

So today's the day.   Called EE just now to restart the upgrade process but I was told that there's a fault and it's going to take 5 days to fix.  I thought something might be wrong as all of the upgrade options have disappeared from my account.   Will probably just buy the phone outright now and go SIMO once my contract is actually up in December.

by

Hi @uvarvu.

Oh no!

I'm sure they're working really hard to get it fixed, I know you're really looking forward to the new Pixel 3!

Jon

Established Contributor

More drama.   Logged into my ee this morning and the app started to report missed payments.   After another call to EE they found that the early upgrade fee credited my account so the bill payment wasn't put through but after this fee was refunded my account then went into the red.   Hope my credit rating didn't take a hit.

I just wish the upgrade system was intelligent enough to detect when existing customers are preordering phones before upgrade day and not issue a charge if the phone will be delivered after said day.   There wouldn't have been any problems if this was in place.

by stuart0001 Contributor
Contributor

Regarding upgrade anytime, could I upgrade every 15 days to any phone available on that plan, even same I' had previously, & keep them all as long as I pay the early fee (200) & the phone retention fee?

eg Could I buy a Pixel 2 every 15 days for 300 pounds (current rates https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/getting-started-and-upgrading/how-to-join-or-upgrade/how-can-i-upgrad...)

by

Technically, yes @stuart0001.

You would be starting a new 24 month contract each time from our current range of plans. It also has to be the same or higher than your current monthly plan.

Chris 🙂

by stuart0001 Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. Do you know what the keep cost of the Pixel 3 will be?

I called CS but they misinformed me that you can't upgrade & keep the phone until 12 months into contract and rate wouldn't be known until then

by

Hi @stuart0001.

As soon as we have any information on the keep cost, the upgrade anytime page that you previously linked will be updated.

We should have more information when the phone is released 🙂

Jon

by garywatt Investigator
Investigator

Hello all

I am due for an upgrade 20th December 2018 and think I know what phone and plan I am looking for. Don't mind waiting till the 20th December so the upgrade is free BUT a little concerned that the date is so close to Christmas and coudl be delays with couriers etc. Would EE agree to upgrading to say the beginning of that week or maybe the week before? Woudl like the new handset before Christmas 🙂

Best regards

Gary Watt

by

Hi @garywatt,

Welcome back to the EE Community.

What response do you get if you text UP to 150?

Thanks

James

by garywatt Investigator
Investigator

Hi James

Not tried that, just logged on to the website and got the upgrade info there.

Upgrade fee to pay if before the 20th December.

Best regards

Gary

by

Morning @garywatt

Thanks for coming back to us.

You can upgrade in an EE Store, where you can take the phone with you if this is in stock 🙂

Just make sure to take ID with you, either a passport or driving license.

Or, if you prefer give us a call closer to your upgrade date and we will see what our upgrades team can do for you.

Thanks, Leanne.

by shaunysaurus Investigator
Investigator

Hi,

I just need a little help and Upgrades can't help me because I'm not due for upgrade just yet.

I'm on the annual upgrade scheme and am able to upgrade in the next few weeks - I've just had a look and see there's an "early upgrade" tariff and not the "annual upgrade" one.  When I've looked at the T's and C's for annual upgrade, they've changed since I last did it and it says it's not available with a "PERK".

I used to work for both Orange and T-mobile and have a staff discount still on my account.  Is this a "PERK" or not?  I know it's a perk in the general meaning of the word, but I don't know what "PERK" in caps relates to.

If I lose the discount, then I won't be upgrading and will wait my contract out, but I'd rather know so I can stop looking at new hadnsets that I won't be able to get.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kind regards

Shaun

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@shaunysaurus   If you no longer work for EE/Orange/T-Mobile then any discount that gave you will be removed if you change your current contract.  Discounts only remain with you while your still using the same contract. 

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.