by Danstarr69 Investigator
Investigator

Does EE have deals like T-Mobiles current/former 6MONTHWEB deal?

I'm unemployed an have been for nearly 8 years so I can't afford much. I used to buy T-Mobiles '6MONTHWEB' booster deal every 6 months for £20 until around 4 or 5 years ago when age restricted websites, even Youtube wouldn't let me view things for over 18's. I had been to the EE Shop 3 or 4 times to show them my I.D. to remove age restrictions from my sim/phone number/account, which they insisted it was already unlocked. It clearly wasn't as why else would unlocked sim/phone number/account constantly block me from viewing Youtube videos which "might contain sensitive content"? I never had any of these problems with age restrictions when T-Mobile was it's own company.

Now I'm looking to get a new phone but I'm not sure if the (now increased to £40) 6 month booster still exists on T-Mobile or if T-Mobile sims exist anymore. If not does EE do a similar deal?

I rarely need to ring or text anyone as there's not much you can do without a job or money, so I just used to browse the internet occasionally when I was out of the house which is why the T-Mobile 6 month booster was perfect. I can't afford to be paying £10+ a month for things that I rarely use.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Does EE have deals like T-Mobiles current/former 6MONTHWEB deal?

Don't bother phoning EE. When you get the SIM & after you top-up, you just browse to http://add-on.ee.co.uk/purchase when not connected to WiFi to buy the add-on.

I was asking whether the Building Society's ATM offers you the choice of doing a mobile top-up?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
13 REPLIES 13
Investigator

Does EE have internet deals like T-Mobile's current/former 6MONTHWEB deal?

I'm unemployed an have been for nearly 8 years so I can't afford much. I used to buy T-Mobiles '6MONTHWEB' booster deal every 6 months for £20 until around 4 or 5 years ago when age restricted websites, even Youtube wouldn't let me view things for over 18's. I had been to the EE Shop 3 or 4 times to show them my I.D. to remove age restrictions from my sim/phone number/account, which they insisted it was already unlocked. It clearly wasn't as why else would unlocked sim/phone number/account constantly block me from viewing Youtube videos which "might contain sensitive content"? I never had any of these problems with age restrictions when T-Mobile was it's own company.

Now I'm looking to get a new phone but I'm not sure if the (now increased to £40) 6 month booster still exists on T-Mobile or if T-Mobile sims exist anymore. If not does EE do a similar deal?

I rarely need to ring or text anyone as there's not much you can do without a job or money, so I just used to browse the internet occasionally when I was out of the house which is why the T-Mobile 6 month booster was perfect. I can't afford to be paying £10+ a month for things that I rarely use.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Danstarr69   You’ll not get a T mobile Sim any more as they are not taking on any new customers.  If you want a data only Sim then have a looked through eBay and buy a EE data Sim these vary in price on the amount of data that’s on them and they can last up to 1 year.  

by Grand Master
Grand Master

The 6MONTHWEB still exists for £40 - see T-Mobile pay as you go boosters . If you already have an active T-M SIM you can get a replacement T-M SIM to fit your new phone by calling EE.

EE PAYG does not do 6 months packs; only 30 days. The closest you can get on EE is 6 x the £10 Data Pack giving you 2 GB data, 100 mins calls & unlimited texts every 30 days.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

What is a 'data sim'? Is it different from a 'pay as you go sim'? I just did a quick search and apparently you can get "90 days for £30"? 90 Days of what? 90 days worth of browsing? Can you still ring or text people on these data sims, and do they have to be topped up every 90 days, or could I just top them up every 6 months?

Investigator

All my sims are dead which is why I'm looking to get a new sim. I don't care how many minutes/texts you get, I just want a reasonable amount of browsing for a reasonable price every 6 months approximately, so whatever new sim I get doesn't go dead too.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

A Data-only SIM is 1 with just a data allowance on it. They are designed for tablets & Mobile Broadband devices. They can be on contract of 30 days, 12 or 24 months starting from £11 / month or on PAYG.

Where do see the 90 days for £30 SIM? You can get a 90-day PAYG data SIM for £17 with 6 GB data (2 GB / month).

Investigator

I'm not looking for a contract.

I'm looking for a sim I can pay for occasionally when I have money approximately every 6 months.

These are the data sim 90 day things I was talking about. Can I ring/text people or recieve calls from people on these? Or are they purely for internet? As another reason I need a sim apart from occasional browsing is so I can have a phone number people can ring me on for jobs I've applied for. https://shop.ee.co.uk/preloaded-data-sims

Now I've just found this which says once the 90 days are up, you can get another 90 days for just £15 which sounds perfect. All I need to know is if these can be bought from "physical shops" eg PC World, Argos, EE Shop etc? If I don't top them up by the 97th day can I still buy the £30 deal again on the same sim? Can calls/texts be made/recieved from these sims? https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/03/ee-uks-new-payg-4g-mobile-broadband-plans-data-rollove...

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You may call & text from a data SIM at standard per-unit rates.

I think you might do better at https://shop.ee.co.uk/broadband/mobile-broadband/free-mobile-broadband-pay-as-you-go-sim where a 90-day 6 GB data SIM is only £17. Once the data has run out you may add an add-on at any time you like.

Investigator

https://shop.ee.co.uk/broadband/mobile-broadband/free-mobile-broadband-pay-as-you-go-sim That sounds like the same as the £30 thing except it's listed as £17 and the sim is free.

So is all I have to do is fill out the form?

Then they'll send me a sim which I can top up for £17 and get the deal?

I don't have a bank card that can be used at chip and pin machines, or to pay online either, so if any online payments are needed it's no good for me. My bank card is a simple "hole in the wall" card.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

If your bank card cannot be used for online or shop purchases you can only top up at a retail store using the top-up card that comes with the SIM using cash.

Does your "hole in the wall" offer you to do Mobile Top-ups?

Investigator

Nope. I'm at the only 'Building Society' I know of where the card can only be used at ATM's or inside the building society itself.

I asked a bank once for a "free bank card which can be used online and at chip and pin machines, doesn't let me spend more than I've got and doesn't have any charges for having no money in my account", and they recommended a "Silver Account" which was apparently "free". A few months later I found out it wasn't free as they had been charging me approximately £20 a week for having no money in my account, which I had to get my mum to pay.

Apparently there's 2 banks which do actual "free bank cards which have no charges" but I don't want to take the risk again until I have a job.

Now back to the sim. When I get it the sim do I just top up £20, ring EE, then follow the instructions to get the £17 deal?

For example: Press 1 to go to boosters. Press 2 to get the 90 day deal for £17. Press 3 for other enquiries. etc

by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Don't bother phoning EE. When you get the SIM & after you top-up, you just browse to http://add-on.ee.co.uk/purchase when not connected to WiFi to buy the add-on.

I was asking whether the Building Society's ATM offers you the choice of doing a mobile top-up?

Investigator

They probably do, but I haven't needed to use an ATM for 5 years so I wouldn't know.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions