by alexd1854 Investigator
Investigator

Disappointed with the attitude of customer services

I didn't receive a notification that my 24 month contract was coming to an end, so I didn't/wasn't able to get a better deal throw to now 38 months later trying to resolve this twice! But end up getting the same unsympathetic customer service agents that just keep saying that its all my fault for not checking myEE, a service I didn't know existed until I had to register so I could register my complaint.

Thoroughly fed up, the only decent thing was dealing with Mark from Newcastle who actually was a great and significantly reduced my monthly rate.

Other than him the whole experience has left me thoroughly downbeat about everything and how so cold and heartless some people and business can be.

I got offered and insulting £20 offer as compensation, this started off as 6 months rates returned, then £120 but quickly got changed for whatever reason.

Anyway thoroughly fed up and angry with the whole situation so will be contacting Ofcom, the ombudsman and the press to see what my next steps are to speak to someone that can see the issue and who wants to reach a reasonable and amicable solution to my complaint

30 REPLIES 30
by Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

Re: Disappointed with the attitude of customer services

Hi Alex,

I do not see any reason for EE to reimburse you for the money that has been spent after your contract came to an end. You should have recieved a paper or email notification to say that the agreement has come to an end and your original contract would have stipulated that payments for the plan would continue on a 30 day rolling basis after the date your contract ended. If you did not recieve this notification, then I would check that your details are up to date with EE.

The deals change all the time, and EE surely cannot be expected to backtrack over 10 months of usage because the user did not upgrade, or because the notification was not recieved.

I would take the compensation you have been offered, as I do not think Ofcom, the ombudsman or the press will be able to help you.

Thanks,

Alex

If I solved your issue, please click the 'solved' button below to help others!
Investigator

I did not receive anything to inform me of the contract coming to an end

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@alexd1854 : These contracts don't just end. After the min. term they just carry on on a rolling month's notice basis until you explicitly cancel or upgrade. Nor is EE obliged to inform you when the contract min. term is up & therefore doesn't just like other networks. All these contracts are min.term contracts; not fixed term.

OFCOM don't handle individual complaints. Just what is the problem you want to raise? You can make a formal complaint to EE & if you don't get satisfaction after 8 weeks you can take it to EE's ADR provider. See Complaints code of practice and here is the Complaints Form at the foot of the page.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Alex_M wrote:

You should have recieved a paper or email notification to say that the agreement has come to an end and your original contract would have stipulated that payments for the plan would continue on a 30 day rolling basis

No, you don't & they don't! These are open-ended contracts with a min. term. They are not fixed term contracts. EE is not obliged by any law or regs to tell you that the min. term is up.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

They do indeed 😊

I recieved an email a few months ago informing me that my device is no longer under contract and offered me upgrade options.

If I solved your issue, please click the 'solved' button below to help others!
Investigator

I just think this is a lacking morally, that a massive provider of communications cannot just send a message to say that your contract is coming to an end, if you don't call us then you will go into a 30 day rolling contract. Its obvious that you're all fully up to speed with the T's & C's whereas us mere mortals it would appear just get absolutely shafted then chastised when we bring attention to what we think is an issue.

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @alexd1854 

When you take out the contract you know the terms and length. Is this the first mobile phone contract you've owned? 

@Alex_M I would agree with @XRaySpeX  as I've never in all the years I've subscribed to EE received any text or email notifying me my contract is coming to an end. Offers yes. 

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

EE have till Feb 2020 to implement a solution to tell customers that their contract is coming to the end of the minimum term. At the moment they are fully compliant with their obligations. 

BBC news link.

by Philmurray Investigator
Investigator

EE abuse this loophole in legislation to increase revenue. I have informed EE in wanted to cancel however they did not do it, i was getting all sorts of info, one guy told me it had been cancelled, the other said its still active. I have recieved no letters regarding this. I have not been using the handset atall and had a seperate pay as you go ee sim. I topped up my pay as you go with £5 and i got one 10 min phonecall to a local landline, the credit was gone. 

by
EE Community Support Team

Good Morning @Philmurray.

Thanks for coming to the community. 

Where you looking to cancel a pay monthly account?

Please provide more information regarding this so I can help further. 

Katie 🙂

Investigator

EE are refusing to cancel my contract. I have informed them over the phone
on many occasions and I suggest you review the calls. I got a letter
through today that is dated the 07/12/2019 that says the following

''The above balance is now over due. If we do not receive your payment,
your account will be terminated and you will be charged an
early termination fee for the remainder of your contract.''

I am outside of contract and have not used the sim since my contract ended,
I have a new sim but my old contract is still active even though I have
requested to cancel. I have recorded proof that EE are refusing to allow me
to cancel.

Also in the letter I received EE states the following

''Details of your late payment may have been reported to the credit rating
agencies and this will seriously effect your ability to obtain credit.''

I have since check my credit report and EE continue to charge me when the
term of my contract ended months ago and I have informed them I do not want
to renew the contract.

EE are trapping customers in a contract, If I pay the bill which I do not
owe the letter states the following

''If you have made or sent full payment within the last few days your
account will be reactivated. To stop this happening in the future please
make sure your payment is recieved within 8 days of your bill date.''

My contract has ended and EE are refusing to cancel and continue to charge
me and destroy my credit rating. The exec care team threatened me with
legal proceeding because I told him I would put the recording on youtube.
He also said EE would send bailiffs and I would get a CCJ if I did not pay.
I demand EE to remove all marks from my credit report and stop pursuing me
for money I do not owe. If EE continues to pursue me I will file a small
claim.
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Philmurray : When did your contract min. term finish? When did you phone up to cancel it? If it was much later then your bills would be building up if you weren't paying them.

These contracts don't just end. After the min. term they just carry on on a rolling month's notice basis until you explicitly cancel or upgrade.

Investigator

Term finished in sept. I cancelled over the phone and let EE know in advance that I would not be renewing my contract. I have spent hours on the phone trying to get this cancelled and being left on hold and passed around different departments. I am sick and tired of jumping through never ending hoops. According to the letter it is still active. EE are just exploiting loopholes in legislation to increase revenue and there is a reason that legislation is changing in 2020. EE were fined £1million for doing this and they continue to do so because they earn way more than that by refusing to cancel contracts. The attitude of customer support staff is disgusting. 

by

Hi there @Philmurray

Thanks for coming back to us.

I have sent you a private message on here for some further details.

I hope to hear back from you soon.

Leanne.

Investigator

The attitude is exactly what I got too!

Trying to making you feel like you are worthless and of no significance to them, just another ant they could squash at any time

@Philmurrayat least you've got a private message from them, I hope that they will finally sort it out for you, whereas I think I'm just another statistic that will be unhappy.

My only option is to see if the Ombudsman will help, as you and others have highlighted exploiting the loopholes is seeming what they do best and to hell with any relationship built up with a longstanding existing customer 

by

Hi there @alexd1854

Thanks for coming back to us.

I have messaged you for some further information now 🙂

Speak soon.

Leanne

Investigator

The attitude is appauling and I was told that it should of been handled differently but there is nothing anyone can do for me at EE and I should just go to the ombudmans if I am not happy. This is simply not good enough. I would rather pay to file a small claim than give them a penny more. The Exec care team are so rude and arrogant. I do not want to go to the ombudsman but will do so I can then escalate a small claim succesfully as I already know I will not be happy with the ombudsmans response. EE do this because most people do not have the time or patience to deal with it. You have to resort to social media as EE do not have any sufficient complaint processes in place to deal with thier own errors and they just promise a call back which never happens, twitter staff have since ignore me, the private message I got on here was just promising another call back, which will not happen. They do this to try and wear you down and leave you waiting even longer. I am passed waiting and looking to act on this now as EE are refusing to resolve the issue and demanding payment.  

Investigator

Just to update everyone on this. I Just had a call back from someone at EE and he seemed annoyed that they had to even call me. He refused to discuss the cancellation of my accoumt or removal of UNFAIR charges and said EE will continue to persue me for money i do not owe.

He said EE will send bailiffs and he refused to review and previous calls regarding this. He did not know the SAR request process and said there was nothing the EE can do. I do not owe EE a penny but they are chasing me for money. He was very antagonising and i basically ended up calling him and arrogant little **bleep** to which he ended the call. I am not sure why forum staff insist on a call back when all you get is a wind up merchant ruining your saturday morning.... It has clearly made the situation worse.

EE are trapping me into a contract and REFUSING to let me cancel and IGNORING my requests to cancel. This is ILLEGAL. I do not want to continue our contract. Its over EE. Accept that I want to leave because of your non complient trading practices of exploiting loopholes in legislation and I demand EE cancel our contract with immediate effect and remove all marks from my credit history. I will be persuing EE for damages to my credit history and stress caused.

The last thing i need in this stressful time of year is antagonising calls from arrogent twats who think the company they work for is above the law. Someone give me the the email address for the CEO a I am going to write to him to explain what a shambles the complaint process is and the attitude and arrogance of staff is clearly demostrating and unhealthy company culture at EE. 

by

Hi there @Philmurray

I am sorry to hear this.

You can find all the information on our complaints process on the EE how to make a complaint Help page.

Our How can I request my personal data? Help page has details on requesting your personal information.

Leanne.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.