by Tasendre
Explorer

Change contract with RPI increase?

With the RPI increase coming in March, will we have the option to change our contracts at no additional charge?  Your email on the increase doesn’t really address that for pay monthly customers.

10 REPLIES 10
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Re: Change contract with RPI increase?

Hi @Tasendre  It's in the T&Cs that EE can increase prices mid-contract so you are not able to change your contract due to it. 

How long have you got left of your minimum term?

by Tasendre
Explorer

>From what I read in the T&Cs, you may be able too.
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Which part of the T&Cs are you referring to then?

The important part of the network T&Cs is probably this one:

A Cancellation Charge and/or an Additional Commitment Service
Cancellation Charge won’t apply if You are within the Minimum Term
and

We have given You Written Notice of an increase in a Price Plan
Charge that is higher than the annual percentage increase in the
Retail Price Index (RPI)

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Not if the increase is within the RPI increase. That is the whole point of it. Only if the increase is above RPI does it become detrimental & you may freely leave,

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Tasendre
Explorer

8.4, 8.4.3 and 12.3 don’t say that. Those say once given notice, as a consumer that this causes material concern, we can cancel before the 30 day notice expires, free of charge. Material concern is me paying more of my money, my material, for this increase.

Todd

Sent from my Phone
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@Tasendre  You agreed to the contract knowing there was a yearly price rise. You are of course free to try and get out of it but people have tried before, thinking they can cancel their contract and keep an expensive phone for nothing, and failed.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Tasendre   Understanding how RPI increases effect you and if it’s detrimental to you and if it’s over the RPI of January when this is worked out then you can get out of the contract. But seeing as the increase is at 2.2 and not the 3.1 then unfortunately you’ll not get out of the contract as it’s below the RPI of 3.1.  

sorry you’ll not get out of the contract unless you pay off the contract in full to the minimum term date.  Oh you will get a 20% reduction on the remaining term cost. 

by Tasendre
Explorer

You need to pay attention to the and/or I think in 8.4 and below.

12.3 says if it’s of detriment. It’s causing harm to my available income, for food and other bills. That’s detriment however you want to shape it.

Sent from my Phone
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Tasendre   You you mind saying how much your tariff is now ? 

by Tasendre
Explorer

£18 and I only get 10G monthly, with some addons . I don’t believe I have any swappables currently.

Current SIM plans available, £20 will get me 25G, £24 will get me 50G and £27 will get me 100G.

My current plan also expires on 5May.

Sent from my Phone

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions