by elle_see_gee Investigator
Investigator

Cancelling annual upgrade after a year

Hi, I’ve been on the annual upgrade plan for almost a year but want to cancel as I’m paying for far more data than I use. I also feel that I was mis-sold the package and would actually like to leave EE because of it after 6 years of using them. 

I had thought that the contract was only for a year - as I’m sure that’s how the ridiculous monthly price was justified but it seems that it’s actually still a 24 month contract. Any advice on how to resolve this? I’d stay if I could change my package and would be happy to give back the phone - I just need to reduce my costs. 

Thanks in advance. 

9 REPLIES 9
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Re: Cancelling annual upgrade after a year

All promo material stated this was a 24 month contract. You are just able to upgrade after 12. The price reflects this. You can't take the monthly cost as you thinking itll be a 12 month contract.

The only way for you to cancel the contract is to pay off the remainder 12 months you have left.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @elle_see_gee

Welcome to the community. 

I'm sorry to see that you're not happy with your plan.

Where did you take the contract out?

Was it over the phone, in store or through the website?

Chris

Investigator

Hi Brendan, I didn’t see any promo material I was in the shop and was sold when I was trying to swap to a different plan. Perhaps ask questions to establish what actually happened before launching into criticism

Investigator

Hi Chris, thanks for your reply. I took the contract out in store. 

Investigator

Hi Chris, thanks for your reply. I took the contract out in store

by

It should be made clear by the store staff and contract information that you're entering a 24 month contract with an option to upgrade after 12 months, @elle_see_gee.

If you feel that it wasn't please reply to the private message that I've sent you.

Thanks

Chris

by Crystia1
Explorer

I am in the exact same position! I am fuming! I took out the annual upgrade (although knowing it was 24mths) being told I could upgrade to any phone after 12mths. £93 a month I am currently being charged and just been told I have to upgrade to the same price or more to be allowed to upgrade, not only this I am going to be trapped in this ridiculous contract for the foreseeable as I can only upgrade to annual upgrade plans not the newly designed upgrade anytime plan. 

I am thinking of seeking legal advice as this is absolutely appalling! Convienantly my original call is now not available to be listened into as it is over 6mths ago! 

by

Good Morning @Crystia1.

Did you upgrade in store?

The terms and conditions of an Annual Upgrade plan state that you need to upgrade to the same price or higher.

Jon

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@Crystia1 wrote:

I am in the exact same position! I am fuming! I took out the annual upgrade (although knowing it was 24mths) being told I could upgrade to any phone after 12mths. £93 a month I am currently being charged and just been told I have to upgrade to the same price or more to be allowed to upgrade, not only this I am going to be trapped in this ridiculous contract for the foreseeable as I can only upgrade to annual upgrade plans not the newly designed upgrade anytime plan. 

I am thinking of seeking legal advice as this is absolutely appalling! Convienantly my original call is now not available to be listened into as it is over 6mths ago! 

If you thought the contract and price was ridiculous why did you sign up to it?

Was it so you can get a shiny new phone every 12 months?

You have to pay for that privilege. It's a 24 month contract. 

No reputable legal advisor will entertain this. As it is all stated in T&Cs. 

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions