by JRLondon Contributor
Contributor

4GEE Max Plan Sim Only (with USA roaming)

Does anyone know if EE offer a 4GEE Max plan on Sim Only (with roaming in USA = EU + 5 countries as EE describe their Max Plans as coming with)?

I’m looking at buying an Apple Watch cellular, so would need to switch from Three to EE to take advantage of the cellular.

I already have an iPhone, so need a sim only plan.

I make use of Three’s feel at home, mainly for Europe + USA, hence I would need a 4GMax plan to replicate this.

I currently have unlimited data (with 30GB tethering) unlimited calls, texts and feel at home for £14 inc vat with Three.

Ignoring the cost for now, can I actually buy a 4GEE Max Plan on Sim Only? It could be either a personal or business plan.

Thanks

31 REPLIES 31
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Re: 4GEE Max Plan Sim Only (with USA roaming)

Hello @JRLondon it seems EE have recently stopped offering SIM only 4GEE MAX plans. The latest plans they are offering are 4GEE Essential and 4GEE plans:

https://shop.ee.co.uk/sim-only/pay-monthly-phones

https://business.ee.co.uk/sim-only/pay-monthly-phones/

by Grand Master
Grand Master

There are no EE Max Plan SIM-only but buy an ordinary SIM-only & then text GO FURTHER to 150 to add to it roaming in the 5 extra countries. See Go Further Roaming Add-on .

There is also a GO FASTER add-on giving full 4G speeds, but I can't find the info on it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

The Go Further add on is £10pm and you have to purchase it for a minimum of 6 months however.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@tm90: Yes, it's all covered in the Help page I linked to.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Did I say otherwise?

by JRLondon Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the helpful replies.

So, I can build a Sim a Only package to be like 4GEE Max, but it’s going to cost me £10/month extra for the extra 5 countries including USA (and if it mattered having 90mbps rather than 60mbps that would add another £2/month).

At this point the premium for me to switch just to activate the Apple Watch cellular feature isn’t worth it as i’d be moving from £14 on Three to £35 on EE (if I took a sim only at £25 for 20GB + £10 Roam Further). I’ll have to wait and see if Max Plans come back to EE sim only or another provider starts offering Esim/Apple Watch contracts.

thanks again

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance.

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Three have added another 11 countries to Feel at Home totaling 71 now:

http://www.three.co.uk/feel-at-home

Not all of EEs plans are advertised online so you can ask customer service on 0800 956 6000 options 2, 4 if they have any other options available but your best option may be to hold on to your Three plan at the moment. They will be open from 8am.

by JRLondon Contributor
Contributor

Thanks again. I tried the business side of EE today, and the guy I spoke with said that as of a week or so ago, the Max plans were no longer available on Sim only. I’ll try the Personal side in the morning and update this thread either way.

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

OK speak soon.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @JRLondon

Welcome to the community. 🙂

I see you have been given some answers here already.

We eagerly await you coming back after speaking to our sales teams.

Chris 🙂

by JRLondon Contributor
Contributor

As a final update, I've spoken with EE Personal/Consumer side.

They confirmed (as did the business side) that as of early Feb 2018, you can no longer buy (as they don't exist) a Max Plan on Sim Only. You can only buy a Max Plan (with the extra 5 roaming countries) if you buy a new phone on contract.

As has been helpfully pointed out earlier in this thread, you can create your own Max plan, by buying a regular sim only, and adding the Roam Further option at £10/month.

Unfortunately, this make EE terrible value, so I will stay with Three for now!

By way of comparison, on Three you can currently buy a 30GB sim only (with feel at home) for £18/month (12 month contract).

The nearest Sim Only equivalent on EE would be £25 for £20GB + £10 Roam Further = 35/month.

As I'm actually currently paying Three £14 inc vat for Unlimited Data (+ 30GB tethering), Unlimited Call/Texts and Feel At Home, it would be daft to pay an extra £21/month just so I can have cellular service on my Apple watch (not forgetting that after 6 months, I'd have to start paying the £5 fee for Apple Watch Cellular Service, taking it to £26/month extra just to be able to use the watch without an iPhone nearby to piggyback off the phones sim/data).

The person I spoke with at EE did say they introduce new tarrifs pretty much every month, so I should check back at the beginning of each month to see if a new tarrif has been introduced.

Thanks again for the help in this thread.

by
EE Community Support Team

No problem @JRLondon

James

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome Smiley Happy! Glad I could be of assistance.

by matt55 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

@tm90wrote:

The Go Further add on is £10pm and you have to purchase it for a minimum of 6 months however.

I didn't realise this, that's terrible value as I had assumed it was possible to take it out for a month (most holidays and such will be under a month for most people) when needed.

So along with EE's already high prices, they assume we take 6 months of holiday in far flung places at a time?

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Yes. It is a lot considering how much the other networks are bringing roaming charges down. Nearly all Three customers can now roam in all of these places and many more at no extra cost at all.

by Profile closed
Not applicable

@matt55 wrote: 

So along with EE's already high prices, they assume we take 6 months of holiday in far flung places at a time?

No, because EE's roaming can only be used for a maximum of 2 months at a time!!  From their price plan:

We will consider you have a stable link to the UK if you spend at least half of your time during any 4 month period within the UK. If your usage abroad in the EU/EEA/Switzerland exceeds this, you will be alerted by text, and after a 2-week period we may charge you for services you use.

Therefore, for those 2 months usage, you are paing a minimum of 6 months usage with that add-on!!

Also now, if you exceed your 15Gb data fair usage policy whilst roaming, EE will now commence charging you:

If your domestic data allowance is greater than 15GB, a fair usage policy of 15GB whilst roaming in our Europe Zone will apply (i.e. you can use up to 15GB from your allowance while roaming). Once you’ve used your fairuse policy amount when roaming, we will notify you and surcharges will apply to continue using data when roaming in our Europe Zone.

The surcharges, of £0.0060 per MB, will last until you use up the remainder of your domestic data allowance, return to the UK, or until your next bill date (whichever is earlier). Note whilst the charge displayed above is per MB, EE charge on a per KB basis (i.e. 1KB = £0.0000060 or 0.00060p).

EE are just going absolutely crazy now with these new policies!!  It's just pure greed.

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@Profile closed I knew it!! I knew EE being nice by preventing you going over data caps/allowances would never last!! So much for "you will never be charged for unexpected data charges as you need an add on to use data".

They will remove the restriction completely and start charging people 65p/mb as soon as they go over next!

by matt55 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Lol okay so it's even worse, pay for 6 months but can't use all of it in that time.  

Honestly if Plusnet offered Wifi Calling, I'd move over to them in a heartbeat, though sometimes, EE Wifi Calling isn't great, I'm not overly impressed by the always on implementation of it whereby a poor Wifi signal seems to make calls useless even if I had full reception!

I was planning to get my gf onto EE but I think I might reconsider actually.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.