by Dunroamin Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: What is pay as you go hibernation and how can I stop it?

I notice that they highlighted this problem this morning on the BBC on the programme "Holding Back the Years" where an elderly lady fell in her bedroom and broke her leg and whilst she had access to a mobile phone she kept in her bedside drawer, the service was disconnected so she lay there for 3 hrs until her husband came back and she was in agony!    Perhaps now it has received a higher profile airing on TV EE will finally be shamed into doing something about this because as you say this is a lifeline for an elderly person who might not use a mobile only in an emergency.   If it is not available what is the point of having it ?    The lady in question has now got a wrist type watch with a warning button on it to press in case of emergency when someone answers on a separate control box and asks her what the problem is and she can get access to a doctor or ambulance if needed.   If these mobiles are only "user friendly" to young people then perhaps all us elderly people should not bother with them at all and save some money rather than keep putting money left on these phones into the pockets of greedy mobile phone companies !!

by Peterone
Explorer

Hi.you you advise to keep EE Numbers out of hibernation a top up can be classed as one of the options that can do to keep number active. I have top up my EE and T-Mobile , one of which is one2one. I foned EE, to be told top up cannot now, it used to be, one option to keep number active. I do not have sim handy .which is correct

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi there @Peterone.

I have replied to your private message to me now.

If you haven’t used your phone for any chargeable activity for 179 days your account will go into hibernation and any credit will be removed

Any of the below is a chargeable activity.

• Voice and data usage. This includes making calls, sending text messages and picture messages, retrieving a voicemail, and using data.
  • Topping up your account.
  • Buying a Pack or an Add-on.

Thanks. Leanne.

by Peterone
Explorer

Thanks

by RKB Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Well, in your situation, as for any phone kept for such emergency use, it
would be wise to check it monthly or so as you do. And then to message or
call someone at least every 178 days. But to be on the safe side I'd
diarise to text or make a brief chargeable use of it every 150 days.
-------------------------------------------------
I'm an ex PC, home phone & BB user.
I'm now a Mob phone & Tablet user.
by Flockle Investigator
Investigator

Its a pity thay receiving a call doesnt reset then hibernation, but I guess EE arent making anything out of that.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Exactly, @Flockle!

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 0207 362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC = 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Flockle Investigator
Investigator

So how often is a chargeabel event to be made is a good question, as for making sure the number remains active my phone is on all the time, so its still around.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Flockle: As stated in the OP at least 1 every 179 days.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 0207 362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC = 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Flockle Investigator
Investigator

Magic, thanks for the confirmation.

by RKB Established Contributor
Established Contributor

@leanne_T, after hibernation kicks in on PAYG, does that mean that no call to 999 can be made? I assume that this is so. But is it? If this is so then effectively this hibernation of a PAYG account after 179 days will be account disconnection. And, btw, does this hibernation also happen on pay monthly unused phones?

@Peterone, are you talking just PAYG here or pay monthly contract regarding this hibernation?

If you are talking PAYG then 179 days of non chargeable use before hibernation kicks in does seem more than reasonable when you consider that would effectively mean 6 months line rental if just £5 or £10 was left on it. It would also surprise me if the person kept it charged for that period of time and kept it on them, too, by the way. Years ago, credit from one month did not roll over to the next month on most networks. So 179 days is a heck of a lot of roll over time in my opinion compared to that. Plus, on top of that EE allows another 90 days for the hibernated user to call them to reinstate the line and keep their credit balance. It costs to run a phone company, so I find that very generous of EE. 

If we are talking hibernation kicking in on a pay monthly contract phone kept for emergency use, then I can see that as being more of a dilemma for the phone company. The person might have died and the company can't keep charging forever - so it came up with 179 days unused to trigger hibernation. Hence, to avoid an unwanted disconnection of service, which is what I believe hibernation effectively will be, can't the phone company send out a text that requires a reply on say day 90, day, 120, day 150, then daily until day 179? If any text is replied to then it would go back to day 0 and continue to be a live line... That's a reasonable solution isn't it?

And if it's a PAYG phone then could the phone company not send a text daily from day 129 to 179 saying that the line will be disconnected on such and such a date unless it is used or topped up or whatever? Wouldn't that too be very resonable?

If someone can't be bothered to reply to or aren't able to reply to or take action regarding even one of such texts sent at the frequency that I suggest then they probably couldn't use their phone in an emergency anyway or wouldn't have it charged ready for use...

Message to EE - one reminder at 60 days and one near to day 179 isn't enough! You have to be much more frequent with your reminder texts about account hibernation / disconnection. 

Message to phone users who don't use their phones - do look at your phone monthly at least for text messages and don't ignore them!

We aren't living in a nanny state. Some might want to be in one. But we aren't in one. If you want a nanny state like phone service set up then speak to your MP about it. 

-------------------------------------------------
I'm an ex PC, home phone & BB user.
I'm now a Mob phone & Tablet user.
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@RKB: Contract phones/SIMs aren't hibernated even if the service is unused, cuz the contract is still being paid. EE can keep charging forever if it not informed by owner/next-of-kin that it should cease.

by Flockle Investigator
Investigator

And my PAYG phone is on all the time in my car, powered, including when parked up and every month I diconnrect it from the car to allow the battery to discharge.

I guess if not used I've about 15 years of standby unless the minimum call charge is increased :-)

It is a phone for emergency use, and not just for a 999 emergency.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.