by Dunroamin Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: What is pay as you go hibernation and how can I stop it?

I am unable to get access to a network whilst here in Spain on a second phone I purchased whilst in the UK last September.    I had the same problem after only a few months here in spain in November and contacted your CS to be told to set the phone to "Network" "manual" to access one of the shown networks available and I was able to access my Orange network on PAYG T Mobile at that time.     This time after another couple of monthsI have tried a few times over the last couple of weeks and it keeps showing "Register failed", yet I know there is credit on it but I am unable to lock onto a network.

What can I do ?

30 REPLIES 30
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi @Dunroamin

Welcome to the EE Community,

Your account would enter hibernation once your account havent been used for a chargeable action after 6 months at that point  you have another 3 months to reactivate your account after that your account will be terminated.

The only way the stop it would be top up the account or make a chargeable action.

Highlighted
by Profile closed
Not applicable

Hi, @Dunroamin,

I would follow the great advice given by @David_C,

He is absolutely right! 😊

Regards

mAh8v

Valued Contributor

The last time I used my phone was 16/8/2018 to send a text message that I know was definitely sent but in November I switched it on and couldn't connect to a network and spoke to EE CS and she talked me through switching to "manually" select the network and I managed to do it.   She told me to send occasional text messages to stop it going into hybernation which I did and I sent 6 messages and thought they had gone but it appears they were all stuck in my outbox so never went.   So are you saying my phone is in hibernation or it has been disconnected?   I last credited the account in September last year and as I say your CS checked and said it was still connected in November.    Now it is just displaying "Register failed" when I try to connect to a network.

Valued Contributor

Forgot to add, I can't make a chargeable action because I cannot connect to a network !

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@Dunroamin I would ring them from a landline if you can access one. 

ring 00442073620200 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Dunroamin wrote:

The last time I used my phone was 16/8/2018 to send a text message that I know was definitely sent

As long as that was a chargeable text it shouldn't have gone into hibernation yet but is due to next month.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Valued Contributor

I will do so when I get a chance, thanks.   To be honest this is the 3rd time (2 with this one) and one with my other phone where I have had trouble trying to use it when visiting here in Spain and I am now considering dumping ALL mobiles and go back to a landline!   That is how much stress these services are putting me under.   I now have seen whilst trying to access my online mobile phone account that that also is being discontinued and the only way I can get access to top ups is either through a store or entering my credit card details in a text message which is completely unacceptable to me.   I don't see why I should compromise my security of my bank details because EE has decided we are crap customers and they can't even be bothered to offer us online services.    I am 69 yrs of age and have come to the conclusion that new technology is over rated !  My life was much less stressed and convenient when I used a landline and so I will be going back to it  or using Whatsapp as I only ever use texting services anyway!

by Profile closed
Not applicable

Hi, @Dunroamin,

Do whatever you think is best for you! 😊

Especially where "stress" is a major factor!

Good luck 😊

Regards

mah8v

Valued Contributor

the last time this happened to my phone, I was on the phone to CS for 20 minutes trying to sort it out.    I hate this "if you don't use your phone within such and such time" it goes into hibernation and then after another 3 months it is terminated !   They are alright so long as the money keeps flowing in but if you are like me and only use your phone occasionally they are not interesting in providing a service, even though i have Β£12 betwen the two phones sitting in their account !   I hate bad service, and that is all this is, bad service.

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@Dunroamin all the networks are like it.

Valued Contributor

They probably are but it is only because people buy their services and put up with the awful service they offer that they get away with it, especially to older people.   I feel really sorry for low income pensioners who can't afford their overpriced CS and can't afford to lose Β£5 or more every time they forget to use their phone !!   Talk about a caring society :smileysad:

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@Dunroamin I agree with you there.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

All the main mobile network providers will assume a PAYG phone is no longer in use after six months of no activity. There was even an article in Which? this month about it.

You're so right about landlines. So much can go wrong with mobiles whilst v. little goes wrong with landlines. Only downside is you can't take your landline a'roaming with you :smileywink:.

The main mobile network providers will assume a PAYG phone is no longer in use after six months of no activity.

Read more: https://www.which.co.uk/news/2010/06/which-investigates-lost-credit-on-payg-mobiles-217614/ - Which?
The main mobile network providers will assume a PAYG phone is no longer in use after six months of no activity.

Read more: https://www.which.co.uk/news/2010/06/which-investigates-lost-credit-on-payg-mobiles-217614/ - Which?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Profile closed
Not applicable

Hi, @Dunroamin,

And me too!

mAh8v

Valued Contributor

Now there's a business opportunity for some enterprising young company just  getting started in the mobile phone industry!   Invent a mobile phone service just for pensioners that is tech friendly and offers a decent service, just like Saga for example which is excellent ! :smileywink:

Valued Contributor

I agree that is the downside though my kids know that they can't contact me by mobile when I am going to go out of the house because I tell them !   I hate when people ring you on the move or expect you to break the law in the car to answer them and it is so, so bad manners when they ring you in restaurants, shops or on a bus !!   All in all I think they are monstrous devices and I wish they had neveer been invented.   Life was so much better, socially, manners wise and convenience wise before they were invented.

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@Dunroamin they should introduce a way so that if the phone belongs to someone who is vulnerable or elderly their account is flagged to stop the service going into hibernation.

Valued Contributor

That is an excellent idea !  Can you patent it ! LOL ! :manwink:

by Profile closed
Not applicable

Excellant idea! @David_C and @Dunroamin,

I'll be having words with the top bosses tomorrow, I don't even know who they are? lol πŸ˜†

Regards

mAh8v

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.