Highlighted
by Rose_heide Investigator
Investigator

Re: Pay as you go Hibernation Information on EE

Yesterday, I was able to reach someone via Chat who took my sim "out of hiberation".   We are going to the UK in August and wish to use the EE sim cards from last year.

How can we add funds to our existing sim cards so that we can use the phone as soon as we arrive in the UK?  Thank you for your time.

Rose

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by ExpatPR Established Contributor
Established Contributor
Solution

Are you saying that when you insert the EE sim into your phone in the states and turn it on you don't get access to the T-Mobile or AT&T networks? You should be able to swap your US sim for the EE sim and use it from the states. Any texts from, and to, EE are free. That's how I keep the sim active. Every ~170 days I swap the sim in the states and send a text. In this case it has to be a chargeable text to keep the sim active. I keep enough funds on the sim to do that unti I return to the UK. 

2 years ago I did that from the states and my phone was ready before I landed in London. I wrote step to step instructions for my daughter. I'll be happy to send them to you if you need them. 

20 REPLIES
Established Contributor

@Rose_heide,

I was was able to add my USA credit card to my account and top up the SIM card from the EE app. That's a recent change. The first time I used the SIM I was not able to use my credit card but I was able to buy a voucher online to top up before I arrived in the UK. It is definitely more convenient now that EE accepts non UK credit cards. I just popped in the EE SIM into my phone yesterday to send a text and keep the SIM active. I'll be visiting the UK again for Christmas this year. I hope this helps!

Investigator

Unfortunately, I never registered the sim card, last year when I got it, so I cannot access the account. I tried to sign in online, however, EE needs to confirm the number by sending me a text. As the sim card doesn't work, I can't receive the text to complete online registration.  Looks like I will have to wait until I get to the UK and go to one of their stores.

Appreciate the info.

Regards.

Established Contributor

Not sure if we are talking about the same type of SIM card but I got my payg SIM 2 years ago. I was able to put it in my phone and access a network. That allowed me to go online an register. 

Investigator

When I have gone on line to register, EE sends a code to my phone with a code.  As I am in the states, I am unable to connect and retrieve the code to complete registration.

Established Contributor
Solution

Are you saying that when you insert the EE sim into your phone in the states and turn it on you don't get access to the T-Mobile or AT&T networks? You should be able to swap your US sim for the EE sim and use it from the states. Any texts from, and to, EE are free. That's how I keep the sim active. Every ~170 days I swap the sim in the states and send a text. In this case it has to be a chargeable text to keep the sim active. I keep enough funds on the sim to do that unti I return to the UK. 

2 years ago I did that from the states and my phone was ready before I landed in London. I wrote step to step instructions for my daughter. I'll be happy to send them to you if you need them. 

Investigator

Sorry for the late reply.  As you may be able to tell, electronics is not my strong suit as this makes total sense.  While I had considered this, I really thouyght with no money on the account, I couldn't connect to anything. 

I have spent quite a bit of time on the EE website, trying to get back to Chat with someone.  Never was able to and I am still amazed that I found it in the first place and had the sim cards "unhibernated"!

Thank you for your kind instructions.  If it doesn't work, will advise further.  Your daughter is fortunate to have your assistance!

Established Contributor

I'm glad I was able to return the favor. This community has helped me a lot. One last tip just in case you are not aware of it. If your payg SIM is like mine it comes with an add on package. This means that once you add funds to your account it will activate the monthly package. So my tip is that the first thing to do after you access the network using your EE SIM from the states is to text to 150  "Stop Pack" to stop the pack from activating once you Top Up. You can add a pack once you land in the UK. 

by
EE Community Support Team

Brilliant advice @ExpatPR 

Many thanks,

Lee

by efemac
Explorer

Hi

My pay as you go seems to have stopped working and when I try to top up it says the number doesn't exist so I'm guessing it has been put into hibernation.  Who can I speak to clarify this and see if I can get it back ?

Thanks,

Emil

by

Hi @efemac,

Welcome to the EE Community. Smiley Happy

Our customer service team will be happy to help you with this.

Thanks

James

by efemac
Explorer

Thanks James

Is there a way to contact them without calling? Email perhaps?  As the sim doesn't work and I am currently in Spain it's tricky to call ...

Emily

by

Hi @efemac,

I'm afraid pay as you go customer services are only available via telephone.

Thanks

James

by indydaug Investigator
Investigator

This is brilliant! Thank you Smiley Happy

I just want to confirm the occasions that require me texting "STOP PACK".

1. When I insert the SIM card for the very first time upon arrival in the
UK, after I insert the card into my phone. This would be a one-off event
and subsequent visits to the UK would not require this.

2. After every time I top up by whatever method, app, online, etc..

My understanding was that because I am purchasing an International PayG
SIM, that the low international calling rates are already part of its
feature and that I'm being clocked by the minute ( eg. a £10 international
card pack has 150 minutes of international calling ).

You have been very helpful to this neophyte and it is greatly appreciated.
In a way, it's a sad reflection on how deficient the EE website information
is that over 1/4 million people have banded together to explain the service
to newcomers. !!

Cheers,

Chip
by indydaug Investigator
Investigator

Hi ExPat,

I am new to these boards and noticed your offer of sending the written instructions for your daughter to keep your EE Pay as You Go Card active. I am pretty sure I understand the concept, but any subtle nuance mentioned in the instructions might be of help. I travel to the UK once or twice a year and only use my Iphone on an as needed basis, in the event of a crisis while I am overseas.

If you still have the instructions, I would be most appreciative.

Cheers,

Chip

by indydaug Investigator
Investigator

Great advice. Many thanks!
Established Contributor

@indydaug,

I’ll be happy to send you the information. Just one questions so I don’t tell you things you already know. Have you already used the EE SIM in the U.K. and are just wondering how to keep the number active? 

To EE I want to say thanks!! I recently came back after spending 2 weeks in Spain and 2 more weeks in the U.K. and the EE SIM worked flawlessly. 

by indydaug Investigator
Investigator

Hi ExPat,

No, I haven't yet used my International PayG SIM card. I am still in Canada, but will arrive in the UK in 2 weeks and will be there for 2 weeks before I return home. My intent is to have it mailed to my first overnight stay or where I pick up the rental car directly from EE. Don't worry about telling me something I may already know. It may take repetition to sink in the first time.  lol

Established Contributor

@indydaug,

I’m pasting the instructions below. A nice change from when I first got my SIM card is that now you can use a non U.K. credit card to top up. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have more questions. 

UK SIM Setup

The EE SIM is a pay as you got SIM that comes wit a £10 Pack. A Pack gives you a bundle of minutes, text, and data you can use for a month. You pay for your pack from the credit your load onto your SIM. Therefore, once you run out of credit you can't use the SIM or overspend your money. You only want your Pack active while you are in the UK because you can't use the pack from abroad. (Rules have changed and now you can use the SIM card in the EU without roaming charges. This means that the same packs also work while in the EU). To keep the number active you need to Top Up or use the phone every 180 days. The cheapest way is to Top Up, if the balance is low, or send a text. The following steps will get you ready to use the SIM. 

Turn your phone off

Remove Verizon SIM

Insert EE SIM

Text to 150 "Stop Pack" to stop the pack from activating once you Top Up. 

Text to 150 "My Number" to get your number and verify your phone is set up correctly.

Text to 150 "Voicemail divert off to turn off voicemail while roaming. If someone calls your number while out of the UK EE would charge you for a phone call to record the voicemail. That does not happen while in the UK.

Go to ee.co.uk to register for an account (you need your number). Drop the initial 0 and add +44 to the front of it.

If you are on wifi download the EE app to your phone and sign in with the userid you created. You can add a PIN number to login to you EE app if you rather use that than a password. You will get a text to verify this is your phone.

Top Up your SIM using the EE app. You will get a verification text and your EE app will update with your balance.

At this point you can go back to the Verizon SIM

On the flight to the UK you can go back to the EE SIM and once you land you can use the EE app to buy a pack from your credit or use one of the following text codes. The EE app has a £12.50 pack that I don't see a text code for. This pack give you 1GB of data for 30 days.

Once you are done with your travels text Stop Pack again so the pack does not restart after 30 days. Any funds remaining on the SIM card will last forever and you can use them to keep the number active until you return to Europe. 

EE PayG Codes

All packs have unlimited UK texting 

Text to 150

Stop Pack - to stop packs 

EP5 - for 150mb data and 50 min talk 250 texts

EP10 - for 1gb data and 1,000 talk min

EP15 - for 2gb data and 500 talk min 

My Number - to get your phone number

CAll ABROAD - to get lower international rates. 

AL - check credit balance and allowance 

VO - top up with a voucher. "VO number"

Voicemail divert off - to turn off voicemail while roaming. 

Established Contributor

Chip,

In my situation I got the SIM ready from the US before I left for Europe. If you are waiting until you land in the U.K. to insert the SIM then you only need to make sure you add enough funds to use the phone.

Once you create your account you can go online, or use the app, to check your current balances, ad-on, and packages. I’m not sure what your SIM card might have preloaded on it. When I got my SIM it said it was a £10 EE Everything SIM card. What that meant was that the £10 EE Everything Pack was active on the card and it would activate once I add at least £10 to my account. That’s why I sent the Stop Pack text before I added funds from the states. Once I arrived in the U.K. I selected the pack I wanted. Then I stopped the pack when I left. I have used the same SIM card for 3 trips now. 

Also, if you only use your phone for emergencies you probably don’t need or want a pack. In my case I used the phone just like I do in the states for phone calls, texts, internet, and navigation. In my case the packs saved me money. 

Having said that, you only need to Stop Pack when you are done using the phone in the U.K. or the EU. Packs reload automatically at the end of the cycle as long as you have sufficient funds in your account. The rest of my instructions are for keeping the number active until you return to Europe.

Topping up does not start a pack but if you have a pack active, and you did not have enough funds in your account to activate the pack, when you account has enough funds the pack will activate. That’s why I recommend to Stop Pack once you are returning home. That way you can top up as needed without wasting the funds on a pack you can’t use outside of the EU. 

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.