by
EE Community Support Team

Pay as you go Hibernation Information on EE

[ Edited ]

Hello Everyone,

We all have old Pay as you go SIM’s tucked away somewhere that haven’t been used for some time. If you have a Pay as you go number that hasn’t been used for a while, it will become inactive and you’ll lose the number. This process is called ‘Hibernation’.

If you are a EE, Orange or T-Mobile Pay as you go customer you will need to know this information to make sure that you never lose your number. Smiley Happy

If you rarely use your phone and SIM then this information is a must for you.

There has been some changes this year to give everyone more time to keep an account active and to make the process consistent across our three brands, EE, T-Mobile and Orange.

We have four clear steps to make this easy for you all;

1. If you do not make a chargeable call, send a text or access data within 120 days we will contact you via text to let you know when the process has started.

1. After this if you have not made a chargeable action (described in the first step) within 179 days we will place your account into ‘Hibernation’. This will remove any credit you have remaining.

1. If you Contact Us within 90 days following this, we can re-instate your number and re-add your credit.

1. After 273 days, we will recycle your number and any credit along with the number will be lost.

We will contact you throughout the process to let you know what’s happening and how you can stop the hibernation process.

You must have your Contact Consent set to ‘yes’ on your account so we have permission to contact you.  If you’d like to check this is set to ‘yes’ then please Contact ‘Customer Services.

Contact Consent is great to have switched on to ensure you receive information on any of our offers, promotions or products. Smiley Happy

If you have any questions, please feel free to fire away…

108 REPLIES
by
Grand Master

Re: Pay as you go Hibernation Information on EE

@Karen_C: Doesn't a "chargeable action", as you define in 1 &2, include topping-up?

Pay as you go Non-Standard price guide

You must make a connection action at least once every 180 days. If you do not, your SIM card 
will be disconnected from the network, and you will not be able to use the service at all.
You will also lose your mobile phone number. Any credit on your account at the time of
disconnection will be forfeited. ‘Connection actions’ are: – Making a chargeable outbound call – Sending a text message – Topping up your account – Making a payment for an Add-On – Registering your details

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 020 7362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
by
Explorer

My phone seems to be responding as I am receiving texts from you saying 'this service is unavailalbe at th emoment'. Please advise Sandra Pinder-Gibb
by
Investigator

Ah, I was never notified about this...so I lost my number. :-(  [and yes, Orange had my e-mail on file]

by
Visitor

Just to confirm if I am overseas for longer than 6 months my account still remain active as long as I top up, call or text from overseas networks?

I don't need to connect to the UK network during this time?
by

Hi @stunz

Yes that's correct, you dont need to be connected to the neywork in the UK.

@uffda has it been over a year since you last used it?

Thanks. Smiley Happy

by

Hello Karen,

Thank you so much for your post! It helps to hear/read something official, as when I've stopped in at an EE shop in London I will at times get different answers.

I hope you can clarify a few points for me so that I can understand how to maintain my two SIMs, as well as to not lose the credit I've loaded onto them during my visits.

While every time I've asked about this the example used was "send a text message", as someone who does not do that when I'm visiting London from the USA I'm curious what other events are considered "chargeable". Is it only a *reduction* in account credit, for example? Let me offer a scenario so that you can tell me which action resets the expiry.

I arrived in London at the beginning of February. There was credit already on my accounts, so I was able to purchase a data block on both my tablet and my phone. Each was a 2 GB block, expiring in 30 days. I used data for the week I was in London, then returned to the US and there was no activity after that weeklong visit.

At the beginning of March I returned to London for a short (2 day) visit. I used data from the prior purchase as it was still valid. I also topped up, putting more credit on each SIM.

What is unclear to me is when the inactivity timer starts. Here are the possibilities that I see, based upon my travels to other countries:

The timer starts when I made the purchase of the data packs at the beginning of February. I could infer this from your post, as that is clearly a chargeable event. No matter what else I did subsequent to that, it was the only point where my account credit decreased.

The timer starts at the end of my March weekend visit, since that was the last time I actually used data on the EE system.

The timer starts at the end of the 30 days - when the data I purchased expired.

The timer starts when my account balance changed upward - meaning when I loaded more credit on in early March. That was not a chargeable event, but it did affect my balance.

I know I'm being painfully thorough, but I'm an engineer and that's my style. Man Wink

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Kind regards,

Walt

by
Grand Master

wbielski wrote:

At the beginning of March  ... I also topped up, putting more credit on each SIM.

In your example that is the last chargeable event that restarts you inactivity timer.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 020 7362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
by
Established Contributor

I last used my PAYG (EE) in September 2015 and so my account was deactivated and the credit of £20 removed.

If you do not make a chargeable call, send a text or access data within 120 days we will contact you via text to let you know when the process has started.

THIS DID NOT HAPPEN

After this if you have not made a chargeable action (described in the first step) within 179 days we will place your account into ‘Hibernation’. This will remove any credit you have remaining.

ASSUMING THAT THIS OCCURS AFTER 299 (120 + 179) DAYS (10 MONTHS) WHY WAS MY ACCOUNT HIBERNATED IN MARCH 2016?

If you Contact Us within 180 days following this, we can re-instate your number and re-add your credit.  

I DID THIS YESTERDAY AND THE ACCOUNT HAS BEEN RESTORED BUT THEY REFUSE TO RE-ADD MY CREDIT!!

by
Grand Master

The 179 days is since you last made a chargeable action, as is the 120 days. So you can't add them together; they overlap.

by
Established Contributor

I was misled by the use of the words "after this" . It certainly reads as if the 179 days follows the 120. And I presume that "following this" is also misleading. i.e the contact must be made within 180 days of the last chargeble event. Even so I should have had warning at 120 days.

by
Grand Master

Yes, the OP is misleading as to what follows what. Basically the SIM is deactivated after 180 days of the last chargeable event, which includes top-ups omitted from the OP. After this you have a further 180 days to phone EE to have it reactivated.

by
Established Contributor

The OP also says

1. If you Contact Us within 180 days following this, we can re-instate your number and re-add your credit.

2. After 365 days, a whole year, we will recycle your number and any credit along with the number will be lost

Which  implies that the credit is not lost until 365 days have elapsed. So why is my credit being forfeited?

by
Grand Master

Pay As You Go Terms and Conditions

6.3 You must make a Connection Action at least once every 180 days. If You do not, Your SIM Card 
will be disconnected from the Network and You will not be able to use the Services. You will
lose Your mobile phone number and any Credit on Your Account at the time of such disconnection
will be forfeited.

by
Established Contributor

The OP by Karen_C of the "Content Team" described changes made this year (dated Jan 27 2016) but you seem to be denying them and I assume that you are an EE team member. What is one to believe? It would be nice to have her comments on conversation please. I will take the matter up with EE by standard mail.

Meanwhile I am grateful for your comments .... many thanks.

by
Grand Master

[ Edited ]

Who, me? No, I am not.

What changes made this year on Jan 27 2016? That's just the date of the OP's post. Doesn't mean any changes were made about then.

What's written here is just meant to be a clarification of EE's policy. I quote EE's latest T&Cs on the subject, which are still extant & therefore form part of EE's policy.

by
Established Contributor

Sorry!. I hope I have not offended you.I would send KUdos but might indicate a solution had been achieved and I am far from it.

by
Grand Master

No problem! Kudos don't relate to solutions. They should indicate that a good point has been made in a post, regardless of whether it addresses the OP. Kudos are always welcome Smiley Wink.

by
Established Contributor

This what Karen (OP) said:

There has been some changes this year to give everyone more time to keep an account active and to make the process the consistent across our three brands, EE, T-Mobile and Orange.

by

Hi @bruckshaw

I have received your private message and thank you for the information you provided when I contacted you.

I will be in touch as soon as possible.

Thank you 

Smiley Happy

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.