by Edek Investigator
Investigator

New unexpired EE payg sim not working

Hi, I bought a couple of EE payg sims containing £5 credit (£1 pack+ £4credit). I have tried them in my mobile and they do not work. That is, there is no EE signal at all.  On the packing of the sims it states that they expire on 05/11/2016. The phone works correctly with my existing payg EE sim. What can I do?

5 REPLIES 5
by Profile closed
Not applicable

Re: New unexpired EE payg sim not working

Hello @Edek where did you get the sims from?

Have you tried a manual network search from your phones settings menu to see if they will connect to the EE network that way?

Here is a recent thread containing a similar situation which may be of help to you:

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Calls/Sim-Card-Registration-Failed/td-p/489852
by Edek Investigator
Investigator

Hi Tom222, thanks for your comments.   I bought them from the B&M stores a few months ago. It appears from the other thread that they are expired, even though they have a sticker saying expires on 05/11/2016. I called EE and they said to take them back to the store. This is easier said than done, since I can't find the receipts. I feel that I have been ripped off by EE/B&M.

by Profile closed
Not applicable

Hello @Edek I'm guessing similar to what was stated in the other thread they must have been pre-activated by B&M allowing them to expire naturally after 6 months. 

I understand your frustration I would be to. As customer service advised due to the sims being sold by a third party then it would be B&M who you would need to contact about this. If you bought them recently the store may still have a record of the sale somewhere. When you spoke to customer service did they mention anything about checking if they could be reactivated? 
by Edek Investigator
Investigator

Hi Tom. Customer services said that the number was already reallocated and my sim would not work and that I needed a new sim.

I cannot see how B&M (or Sainsburys, or W h Smiths, or Poundland) could pre-activate the sims as they were sold in sealed packages. I assume that EE must have pre-activated them as they were/are sold by so many different retailers.

by Profile closed
Not applicable

Hello @Edek the sims must have been in storage/on the shelf for a while then, they are still able to be registered/activated without the packaging but it should be left to the customer not the third party retailer who sells them so situations like this don't occur.

Should you wish to purchase a sim in future, the EE online shop is the best place to get a fresh brand new sim that has not been previously handled by a third party retailer or if there is a local store convenient to you then you can pop in to get one there and then 🙂 here are the relevant links (shop/store finder):

http://shop.ee.co.uk/sim-only/pay-as-you-go-phones

https://storefinder.ee.co.uk/ee/stores.html

Best of luck with obtaining a satisfactory resolution from B&M. Please come back and let one of us know if there is anything else you need 🙂
Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.