Highlighted
by Eoubebe Investigator
Investigator

Can't take or make calls or send texts while roaming in Uganda

Hi.

I took my PAYG SIM to Uganda last year. After a few months I couldn't receive or make calls, also text messaging stopped working.

Although the roaming icon is visible on the screen and I topped up £10 - credit shows on my EE account.

Unable to call 150 too as it routes me to the local service providers in Uganda and they haven't got a clue.

Any idea how this can be sorted?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by
EE Community Support Team
Solution

Re: Can't take or make calls or send texts while roaming in Uganda

Hi @Eoubebe.

It would depend on how long you haven't used the number for. If its been more than 273 days then the number will be completely lost.

Anything less and there's a chance you can recover it by contacting our Mobile care team.

Jon

13 REPLIES 13
by Eoubebe Investigator
Investigator

I can't call or text in Uganda

Hi.

I can't use my EE PAYG sim for any service (text, calls).

It was working fine when I arrived in Uganda March 2018.

I needed to receive my verification codes for my Apple account when I noticed around November that nothing works - can't call, can't text, can't contact 150 and none of my mates have their UK lines.

Would appreciate some help here.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: I can't call or text in Uganda

If you haven't used it for over 6 months to make a chargeable action it's been deactivated and you've lost it. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Eoubebe Investigator
Investigator

Re: I can't call or text in Uganda

Wow! Thanks for the response though I hope that's not the case with mine.

Any helpful  tips on how to get back a 'lost' SIM?

I've had my number for 4+ years and grown quite used to it. 

by

Good Morning @Eoubebe.

Welcome to the community.

The number may of gone into hibernation.

Do you have any other UK contact number available with you?

Jon

by Eoubebe Investigator
Investigator

Hi Jon_K,

Thanks for your reply.

Sadly, I've no other UK number with me at the moment. Stuck with the local number, also WhatsApp and Skype options.

Any thoughts on how to wake up a number that's gone into hibernation?

by
Solution

Hi @Eoubebe.

It would depend on how long you haven't used the number for. If its been more than 273 days then the number will be completely lost.

Anything less and there's a chance you can recover it by contacting our Mobile care team.

Jon

by Eoubebe Investigator
Investigator

Last used it in August or so.

I best check with the Mobile team then. Thanks for the link.

by

No problem @Eoubebe 🙂

Let us know how you get on.

Jon

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You might just make it. It's really in your hands as to when you last spent money on it. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Eoubebe Investigator
Investigator

Quite likely @XRaySpeX . Keeping my fingers crossed on this one. I'll ring them up once I'm back from the field next week.

Cheers!

by Eoubebe Investigator
Investigator

Thanks everyone for being ever so helpful.

Latest update:

The good folk at EE were very kind and lifted the suspension on my line.

You see my number had gone into hibernation due to a long period of non-use.

What I learnt:

1. EE resolutions team is reachable by email (web form option first) if for some reason you can't get to a phone to contact the Customer Service numbers.

2. According to ofcom guidance there's a use-it or lose-it policy for PAYG SIMs. Your line could get recycled after 70 days if you don't call or text with it during that length of time.

Thanks EE, you're the best!

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome 🙂 ! Glad I could be of assistance & it is now sorted.

@Eoubebe wrote:

2. According to ofcom guidance there's a use-it or lose-it policy for PAYG SIMs. Your line could get recycled after 70 days if you don't call or text with it during that length of time.

With EE it's 270 days in total before you lose it completely.

by

Thanks for the update, @Eoubebe. 🙂

I'm glad you're all back up and running.

Chris 🙂

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions