Highlighted
by DKirk
Explorer

Can I use an EE Top up card from the US

Visiting from the US. Bought a PayG sim at the store and put on a 30 day pack. I currently have 0 credit. Planning to return to the UK in September so I'd like to make sure I can keep my SIM and the number active.
I know I cannot top up using a USA credit card, unless I go into a store to buy credit.  I don't need to use the phone between my departure and my September return.

If I were to add credit to the EE top up card that came with the phone now, before I leave the UK, could I use the credit on the top up card while in the USA to add a new pack in September just before I return to the UK? Is this something I can do on the EE website so that I don't face roaming charges for overseas use?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Can I use an EE Top up card from the US

Using the top-up card puts credit on your SIM, not on the card. If you do that now in the UK it will be used to auto buy your next pack when your current pack expires. So, you should either:

1. Not top-up until you get back to the UK, or
  2. Buy a top-up voucher now, not the top-up card you got with the SIM, in a UK shop that sells them. That does not put credit on your SIM until you use it by texting VO followed the 16-digit_voucher_number to 150, or
  3. Text STOP PACK to 150 now to prevent the pack renewing & rebuy the pack again when you get back to the UK.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
5 REPLIES 5
by Profile closed
Not applicable

@DKirk you could create a MyEE account and top up from within that online account... By the way you have to use your phone to make a call or send a text at least every 180 days to keep your number active. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Using the top-up card puts credit on your SIM, not on the card. If you do that now in the UK it will be used to auto buy your next pack when your current pack expires. So, you should either:

1. Not top-up until you get back to the UK, or
  2. Buy a top-up voucher now, not the top-up card you got with the SIM, in a UK shop that sells them. That does not put credit on your SIM until you use it by texting VO followed the 16-digit_voucher_number to 150, or
  3. Text STOP PACK to 150 now to prevent the pack renewing & rebuy the pack again when you get back to the UK.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @DKirk

Welcome to the community. 🙂

I see you've been given some brilliant advice around topping up your EE SIM card.

Let us know if you have any more questions.

Check out our 'what is pay as you go hibernation and how can I stop it' article for more information about keeping the SIM active.

Chris 🙂

by DKirk
Explorer

I set up the myEE acct. However I believe one must have a UK issued bank card in order to Top up via the website.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

I believe you can get away with using your overseas card but giving a UK billing address, like the hotel you will be staying at. 

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.