Highlighted
by FloridaHockeyG Investigator
Investigator

Bought new EE SIM- but want Pay as You Go instead of Flex?

I purchased an EE SIM online for a visit to the UK starting next month. I had wanted the one for the Pay As You Go plan, probably starting with the £15 top up to get 500 minutes of calls and 5GB of data, by purchasing a voucher for the top up.

What was sent to me was a SIM with a package that says it is for Flex Plans. The seller has told me that it does NOT matter, that all I have to do when I activate the SIM is to choose a Pay as You Go plan instead of a Flex plan.

Is this correct? I wanted to be able to activate and top up as soon as I landed without having to waste time to go to a shop. Will I be able to do this with this SIM, or is the Seller incorrect? What has thrown me off also is that inside the SIM card pack it says that "you must pay for Flex Plans using your credit or debit card NOT using top up credit".

I appreciate your thoughts and thank the community in advance for your help.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Bought new EE SIM- but want Pay as You Go instead of Flex?

Where did you buy this from? On the online EE website you may chose whether to buy a Flex or a PAYG SIM.

I think you may need to call EE to cancel a Flex plan & turn it into PAYG. You could try on receiving it to not sign up for its card payment service & text ALL PACKS to 150 to see if it will offer you PAYG Packs.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
10 REPLIES 10
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Where did you buy this from? On the online EE website you may chose whether to buy a Flex or a PAYG SIM.

I think you may need to call EE to cancel a Flex plan & turn it into PAYG. You could try on receiving it to not sign up for its card payment service & text ALL PACKS to 150 to see if it will offer you PAYG Packs.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

Thanks for your response.

I do not live in the UK, but will be visiting N. Ireland and Scotland in a few weeks, and bought this in preparation. I could not purchase it directly on the EE site, since they would only ship to a UK address. So, I actually purchased this from somebody on eBay, although it appears to be legit. But I am confused about it being a Flex Plan SIM and not a Pay As You Go, so not sure if the seller is giving me a story when they tell me that I just have to register for Pay As You Go when I activate.

Thanks.

by
EE Community Support Team

Good Afternoon @FloridaHockeyG

Welcome to the community.

Have you been able to follow the advice from @XRaySpeX and text 'ALL PACKS' to 150?

You can pause or stop your plan any time by:

1) Logging in to My EE and go to Menu > Flex plans
2) Scrolling down and tap the ‘Pause Plan’ button

Pausing your plan means that it won’t renew, and you can choose to start a new plan whenever you’re ready.

In the meantime, you’ll need to top up credit for calls or texts and buy an add-on if you want to use data. If you want to use your device on our network (calls cost 35p/min and texts 15p/text).

Katie 🙂

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Katie_B : You can only pause or stop your Flex plan once you have signed up for its card payment service, which the OP doesn't want to do.

Investigator

The problem is that I CAN'T register a card because I do not live in the UK, although I need to use it there shortly.

I registered the card and number on MyEE, and I followed the instructions, but I could see NO place to PAUSE my plan. I tried texting ALL PLANS as instructed, but it gave me Flex Plan choices. When I texted PAYG, it said I had to top up with a voucher first. So I did that and applied a voucher, which I got credit for, but still I am unable to get it to PAYG. Do you think I should text STOP with something after that to see if it stops the Flex Plan (says I have the 1 pound plan per 7 days), and then try PAYG?

I really apologize to be a problem, and I do so appreciate the help. Thanks in advance

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Not "ALL PLANS" but "ALL PACKS".

When registering a bank card on MyEE give a UK billing addy, even if a foreign bank card.

by

Hi @FloridaHockeyG.

Have you tried topping up with a voucher?

If yes, does this allow you to make calls?

Speak soon, 

Katie

Investigator

Eureka! Finally!

Yes, I did do ALL PACKS. That was a typo.

I ended up texting STOP PACK, and then texted PAYG, and now when I text ALL PACKS, it gives me Pay As You Go plans instead of Flex Plans.

Also, I logged out and logged back in my account again, and now it asks for me to select a Pay As You Go plan, so I guess I am good to go. I guess I will just take a small plan for now, and then renew with a bigger one later.

Thank you everybody for all of your help! Although now I am torn as I do not know which one of you to credit with the solution, since it was a team effort! Thank you so much!!!

by

Great to hear @FloridaHockeyG

I must say this was all @XRaySpeX!

Have a fantastic time visiting Northern Ireland and Scotland  🙂

Katie

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance & it is now sorted.

Sorry, I forgot about the PAYG keyword for Flex. That's the trigger for switching from Flex to PAYG. See How can I get help by texting 150 on pay as you go or Flex? for all text service keywords.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.