by happy_feet Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

orange sim standard to micro

I'm with Orange, and both like my number and the PAYG plan I'm on (Dolphin).  However, the sim I have is a standard sim and, having just been passed a new-to-me phone that requires a micro sim, the sim card I have at the moment obviously doesn't fit.  I went into the EE store today to ask if i could get a replacement sim; keeping my number and remaining on the plan I'm currently on.  I was advised that i'd have to go through Orange customer services and pay £10 to do this, before they gave me the 'hard sell' in attempting to persuade me to switch to an EE contract (unsuccessfully i add, i didn't bite as I like the plan I'm on).  As such, was I correctly advised in store?  And, if so, if i do pay the £10 charge for a new sim can I keep my exisitng number and stay on the PAYG Dolphin plan I'm currently on (which is probably worth it to me)?  Many thanks for any clarification.        

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Profile closed
Not applicable
Solution

Re: orange sim standard to micro

You are welcome @happy_feet glad to hear the SIM swap has processed successfully for you. Come back to the community anytime if there is anything else you would like to know. 🙂

ps you can text the code PLAN to 450 to confirm which plan you are on or call 343 and she will tell you. 🙂

25 REPLIES 25
by Profile closed
Not applicable

Hello @happy_feet no you have not been advised correctly I am sorry. There is no £10 charge for replacement SIM cards and there never has been. There used to be a £10.20 charge for replacement EE/T-Mobile SIM cards but that has recently been dropped to £1.50. 

You can either get a replacement Orange SIM card from an EE store if they still have any left (you may want to try another one) or you can call customer service on 450 from your Orange phone or 07973 100 450 from any other who may be able to send you one out (they do not have many left and are really stingy with them now so you will have to push if they say no at first). Apart from the 25p call charge to customer service via 450 only there should be no charge for your SIM

card. 

Failing that your last and only other option is to buy a SIM cutter online. The one I got Is brilliant and can cut to micro & nano sizes. 🙂

Valued Contributor

Many thanks Tom222, I've just called Customer Services now and they're sending me out a replacement sim (hopefully it will be an Orange one as there was no resistance from the lady I spoke to, so I'm a little wary in case they post out an EE one).  I'll update in a few days when it's arrived and, hopefully, there will have been a smooth switchover.  

by Profile closed
Not applicable

You are welcome @happy_feet hopefully they send you the right one and it all goes well yes. Speak soon. 🙂 

Valued Contributor

Well, the sim arrived the following day (it was a nano sim but I had an adaptor to make it micro sim size, so that's fine) and I phoned up to get it activated (the chap I spoke to sounded a little vague, although he was very pleasant).  It's now 48 hours later and I'm still waiting for the text to say it's been done...

by Profile closed
Not applicable

Hello @happy_feet did they send you an Orange or EE nano SIM card? Is your old SIM card still working? 🙂

Valued Contributor

No they sent me an Orange sim (which was a pleasdant surprise).  Well my old sim was working until about two hours ago, and it might be, but now my 'phone is telling me that there's no signal (which I find hard to believe) - but if my sim had been deactivated I would have expected a 'no service' or 'inactive sim' message instead?   

by Profile closed
Not applicable

Hello @happy_feet when the old SIM card is deactivated it normally looks like the signal has just dropped and will not come back yes. Try restarting the phone with the new nano SIM card in. If your old SIM card has stopped working this usually indicates the SIM swap has started and can take up to 24hrs to complete. 🙂

Valued Contributor

Success!  It appears that the new sim has been activated - and as long as I've been kept on the same PAYG price plan everything has worked out fine.  Many thanks for your help, it's much appreciated.  

by
EE Community Support Team

Brilliant @happy_feet

I know @Profile closed will be delighted when he sees this.

Thanks for sharing the good news.

I hope you will stay around community 🙂

Richard

by Profile closed
Not applicable
Solution

You are welcome @happy_feet glad to hear the SIM swap has processed successfully for you. Come back to the community anytime if there is anything else you would like to know. 🙂

ps you can text the code PLAN to 450 to confirm which plan you are on or call 343 and she will tell you. 🙂

Valued Contributor

Just one more thing, and apologies for being a nuisance, on the occasions when I top up using a top up card (as opposed to doing it at the cashopint or online), can I still use my old top-up card?  The new sim didn't come with a new top-up card, so I'm assuming i can just continue usng the old one as before.  

by Profile closed
Not applicable

Hello @happy_feet yes you should still be able to use the e-top up card linked to your account. If you still have access to your online account you can log in to Your Orange online and navigate to Top up & manage cards>Add a swipecard/Delete a swipecard where you can see the current ones registered. :):

https://web.orange.co.uk/id/signin.php

Valued Contributor

Again, many thanks.  

by Profile closed
Not applicable

You are welcome @happy_feet. Hopefully see you round the community again soon. 🙂

by Binnsy15 Investigator
Investigator

Hi happy_feet.

I am having the EXACT same issue. I tried calling the number given for orange customer service, but when I got through to a person it was an EE call centre. I explained what I wanted to do, and was told yes, that's fine. But when I reiterated to confirm that I would still be on my original plan with no changes, was then told no, they no longer send out orange sim cards, but I would be much better off with a new EE card.

Was wondering if this was because I called in the evening, and just got filtered through to a generic customer service centre. Can you please tell me when you called, and if you got an orange specific centre?

Many thanks.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Binnsy15

Thank you for taking the time to sign up to community 🙂

Here are the numbers to get in touch with Orange customer services.

Give them a call now if you have a chance.

Cheers

Richard

🙂

by Binnsy15 Investigator
Investigator

Thank you. That is the number I called.

Bit late now, so will try calling in "office hours" on Monday to see if I have better luck.

Many thanks.

by
EE Employee

Hi @Binnsy15

Our customer service teams are open till 9pm this evening.

Many thanks,

Lee

Valued Contributor

Hi apologies, for not replying until now - only just seen your message.  I called around 3-4pm and, as I said, had no trouble at all.  I must have dropped lucky with who picked up the phone.  No, as far as I recally, it was an EE call centre (at the end of the call they did ask if "as a valued customer" i wanted to switch to EE, i politely declined).  

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.