by suerob Investigator
Investigator

Why is payg a second class service?

I live in an area with no mobile coverage. I joined Ee as a payg customer recently as the best option for me so I am not spending money on wasting data/calls. I find that when I do have phone signal :

I have to pay for calls and texts to Ee.

My data package is not inclusive of all numbers. 

I cannot get WiFi calling. 

I cannot upgrade on line. 

Why is this? It’s so disappointing. I was not aware of any of this restiriction on payg when I joined. It’s shabby. 

12 REPLIES 12
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Why is payg a second class service?

@suerob wrote:

My data package is not inclusive of all numbers. 

What nos. can't you call? Any restriction on the type of nos. is not specific to PAYG; it will also apply to contract.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @suerob

Thank you for coming to see us 🙂

I'm sorry to hear that you feel this way, however I want you to know that we value our pay as you go customers in exactly the same high regard as our pay monthly customers.

When you get a chance to answer @XRaySpeX then we may be able to help you further.

Thank you

Richard

🙂

by suerob Investigator
Investigator

Hi xrayspex

i think it is mainly business numbers: for example I tried to book emergency accommodation at the last minute but was informed I didn’t have enough credit. It happened when I tried to call my daughter on her (Ee) mobile. It happens when I try to call Ee for help - I don’t have enough credit despite nearly all of my minutes being unused. This makes my phone unreliable even when I can receive signal!! Is that really the case with a contract? 

by suerob Investigator
Investigator

Hi Richard. 

Please se my reply to xrayspex

I have discovered there are services I am unable to access as a payg customer (see OP) because I am a Payg customer. It feels as though I am being penalised because of this. It’s hard enough having little or no usable signal without having additional handicaps imposed by the payg rules. 

Surely service offered by Ee should be equitable no matter how I choose to pay? As I say, I was not aware of any of the payg restrictions before I joined Ee. Why are payg customers subject to restrictions in service? 

by

Hi @suerob

I'm sorry that you feel you are being penalised, this certainly isn't our intention.

There are certain services that we offer as a benefit of being a pay monthly customer.

If you feel you would benefit from these, I recommend taking a look at our pay monthly SIM only offers, they really are fantastic value for money.

Richard

🙂

by suerob Investigator
Investigator

Thank you for you reply. That’s my point: payg customers can’t access the same service. Why do pay monthly customers have more benefits? 

I will take a look at the sims you suggest but of course I can’t upgrade on line, being a payg customer 🙄

Can you tell be if the 30 day sim plan is a rolling 30 Day contract? It’s not clear to me if I need to cancel due to poor connectivity how much notice I would need to give. I’m assuming 30 days, but then I assumed I would have access to all ee services when I joined, which is clearly incorrect. Apologies for labouring the point but I’m sure you would agree I am a bit stuck as a payg customer - it seems my only choice to get the services advertised by Ee is to pay more for a contract?

by suerob Investigator
Investigator

I would also like to add that I do pay monthly - I buy a regular data plan. I also have to top up so I have credit to pay for the calls to numbers excluded from my pack. All very confusing and unsatisfactory. 

by

Thanks for taking a look @suerob.

The 30 day SIM only plans are a rolling 30 day contract and require a 30 day notice period of cancellation.

I'm sure our customer service team would be happy to look at your current pay as you go usage and see if there is a SIM only plan that suits your usage (maybe even save you some money). 🙂

Chris

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Because EE are stuck in the 1990s when it was profitable to restrict PAYG services to make pay monthly look 'better'.

Not needed anymore now mobile internet and expensive devices are driving the market not network services.

EE are the only network to still do this. Call waiting, GSM diverts, call forwarding, 4G calling and Wi-Fi calling are available to PAYG users on the other networks.

by suerob Investigator
Investigator

I didn’t even know I couldn’t get 4g calling until yesterday evening. I spoke to customer services - they explained it was about commitment. If I commit to a contract they will give me more benefits of service because they know I can’t leave for a set period and they get their money.  I think this is reverse logic. Surely the way to attract customers is to offer the best service for the least complication? 

My experience with Ee so far has been incredibly complicated and confusing. 

Credit to the two ladies I spoke to on the phone last night but even they gave me conflicting advice. I was also told I had been mis sold payg originally  because you are not told what you can’t get. 

by

Hi @suerob

Thanks for coming back to see us 🙂

I'm sorry to hear that you feel this way about your service.

If you would like to consider pay monthly with EE, then please take a look at our switching to pay monthly help and support pages.

Richard

by Grand Master
Grand Master

If these business nos. start with 08 they are chargeable from EE & other mobile networks. See charges for calling non-geographic numbers . This applies equally to PAYG & Pay Monthly.

All firms should have stopped using 0845 & 0871 by OFCOM ruling. Many have switched to the same no. but starting 0345.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.