by YesItsMe Investigator
Investigator

Why is a pack with an existing SIM massively more expensive than with a new SIM?

With a new SIM, a £15/30 days pack gets 4GB of data and 250 minutes.  For the same money, on an existing EE SIM, the pack only includes 2GB and 500 minutes.  Given the astoundingly high prices of data on its own, this is clearly EE shafting existing customers.  Which is kinda weird since customers can just go elsewhere and even come back later, get a new SIM and keep the old number, and get a better deal.  Does anyone know why EE treats existing customers so badly?

On a side note, does anyone know why EE doesn't hire software engineers who know how to put together a decent user experience?  Why is buying a pack under My EE instead of under Shop?  I mean, buying a pack is shopping, isn't it?

14 REPLIES 14
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Why is a pack with an existing SIM massively more expensive than with a new

Hi, 

EE like any business refreshes it products and prices for packs and services all the time.

You are however correct in that as a consumer you can leave at any time (subject to any contractual agreements), so if you want to leave for an inferior product and network you are free to do so. 

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Grand Master
Grand Master

The former is a £15 data pack that is an online exclusive with a new SIM ordered online. It cannot be added to an existing SIM that wasn't 1 of these online exclusives.

The latter is a £15 Everything pack that can be added to any PAYG SIM. It does give you more mins.

I'm unable to explain EE's pricing policy, but they are the list prices. I see it as encouraging new custs getting on board.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by YesItsMe Investigator
Investigator

Of course businesses refresh products and prices.  But in general, screwing over existing customers when doing so isn't considered a good practice.

Having used other networks, EE is not superior either in products or network.  But your attempt at an insult is very amusing.  I do advise that you keep practising, however.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@YesItsMe wrote:

But in general, screwing over existing customers when doing so isn't considered a good practice.

Then why does every industry do it? Smiley Wink

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by YesItsMe Investigator
Investigator

Yes, I know all of that.  That isn't an answer to the question, it's merely expanding slightly on the question I asked.

You did miss the fact that the offer is also somewhat disingenuous because finding the actual cost of packs for an existing SIM is difficult (weirdly, shopping is not shopping if one is an existing customer), so the easiest price to find is the misleading £15.  And while it gives more minutes, who cares, considering how much cheaper minutes are than data when purchased?

by YesItsMe Investigator
Investigator

They don't.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

I admitted I did not know the answer to your main Q.

You can find all packs listed in Pay as you go packs - minutes, texts and data

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Excuse me?

by YesItsMe Investigator
Investigator

Ummm, you're excused?

I have no idea what that's in reference to, so that's all I can offer.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hello there @YesItsMe.

For all our existing packs please see our help page, pay as you go packs and how they work.

This will show you all that are available.

Thanks, Leanne.

by YesItsMe Investigator
Investigator

Yes, that'd be the page I looked at last night that showed that topping up and getting a pack with an existing SIM is much more expensive than getting a new SIM.

by
EE Community Support Team

I see @YesItsMe.

I am sorry these are the only packs available for existing customers at this time.

Thanks.

by m4rtin Investigator
Investigator

tho it really has been mark as done 

just to add my opinions of it 

its not just EE every bunisess treats its members like that ware deals are for the new, not the old, (big bunisess any ways, tho thats about all you get leave when big kill small ones, supermarkets vs corner stores ect) 

the best deals are always to shop around factor in everything, cashback, resale

IF you like me not someone that likes smart phones (300 mins and unlimited texts for me only and true i know 94% or more of people on the EE fourms could no live with out data, nor am i saying they should just my personal side of it), and work out the best deal, i could post what i pay a month for my phone but as its shockly low i wont, some goes for anything with money its a game and some people just know how to play it well getting the best deals, some blindly get what they like or whats in fashion no matter the cost and big bunisess always profits or they fail,

by YesItsMe Investigator
Investigator

Not every business.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.