by scottyboy235 Investigator
Investigator

Orange PAYG number no longer working

My Orange PAYG number which I've had for the last 15 or so years  no longer seems to be in service and I've got no idea what is going on.

The account is in credit and I used the phone 3 days before it went 'off air'. The signal strength indicator is at 5 bars so it's nothing to do with that.

Whenever I try to phone I get a  'not registered on network' message. The phone does not ring when someone tries my number

On the network checker it lists a recently fixed problem in the MK area - no indication of when it occurred or when it was fixed.

Anyone any ideas on what I can do - I'm absolutely stuck and pretty annoyed with this

18 REPLIES 18
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Orange PAYG number no longer working

How did you use it 3 days before it went off? Incoming doesn't keep it alive.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

Yep, outgoing phone call to another mobile.

I would have expected a courtesy message from EE to say if my in-credit account was to be discontinued ... Or is that expecting too much

by Grand Master
Grand Master

It shouldn't have been deactivated until at least 6 month inactivity.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @scottyboy235,

Welcome to the EE Community.

I'm sorry to hear you are having problems using your pay as you go phone.

Please get in touch with customer services so our technical team can look into this for you.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks

James

Investigator

Ok, It looks like EE are reducing the support for Orange customers. 

Perhaps I'm being unduly pessimistic but I can't see this being an easy fix

by
EE Employee

Hi @scottyboy235

Have you spoken to our technical support team as advised by @James_B?

Many thanks,

Lee

Investigator

Right, it's sorted but it was a lot of aggravation.

Went into the EE shop and they had a look at the phone and its settings - everything OK.

The advise was to move to EE and obtain a new SIM card for which I would have to pay £10 top up charge. Bit of a cheek I thought as my Orange account was in credit and officially still in service

The Orange -> EE number transfer failed as the network could not identify my number. Even EE technical phone support could not explain this and said a ' service update' would be sent to the phone within 24Hrs. To do this I was told to delete all my sms messages (Didn't get an answer as to why this was necessary)

35mins wasted in the EE shop to be told this.

24Hrs later and still nothing - no phone service, Onto the phone for a 25min phone call to EE and they sent a new EE SIM free of charge - existing Orange credit to moved across.

Good but when I checked no credit on my new account plus I was being billed for a pack which I never agreed to or asked for.

Another phone call got it all sorted out

All in all everyone was helpful but don't take anything for granted and double check everything. 

by

Thanks for coming back to confirm that it's sorted, @scottyboy235.

I'm sorry that it seems to have taken a bit longer than it should have.

Give us a shout if you need help with anything going forward.

Chris

Investigator

Sadly not out of the woods yet.

Phone fails to pick up network time. Airplane mode has been turned off/on, automatic time option has been turned off/on and yet still it fails to work.

Used to work fine with the original Orange SIM. Makes me wonder what else is not going to work. Thanks for making my life so interesting

by Grand Master
Grand Master

The phone is probably locked to Orange & won't accept an EE SIM. You can just apply using the Unlocking your device form as the PAYG option and giving the mobile number that it originally came with. It will be free.

@Christopher_G: When CS switch a user from Orange to EE, don't they offer to unlock the phone?

Investigator

Nice try but the phone is not locked and never has been

Investigator

Already been using the phone for voice and text messages

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Ah, OK. As I dunno what you meant by "network time" I took it that it couldn't pick up the mobile network at all, voice or data.

Investigator

More problems, can't send any SMS messages. Thought I could but I was mistaken

Not sure about receiving SMS. All is good with voice calls.

Why do I bother with this !

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Check your message centre no. for EE is +447958879879.

by

Hi @scottyboy235

I'm sorry to see that it isn't working fully yet.

I recommend checking the message centre number and changing to the number @XRaySpeX posted above. EE use a different message centre number to Orange. This could be why your messages aren't sending.

What kind of phone do you have? I'll see if I can help with your network time problem.

Chris

Investigator

Voice and SMS seem to be working now. 

Couldn't face another trip to the EE store or another support call so here's what I did to get it working .....nothing, left it alone and the network (?) sorted itself out Also picks up network time as well - just like it used to.

Not sure about roaming etc guess I'll find that out when I travel abroad.

Thanks to all who responded.

by

Thanks for the update @scottyboy235 Smiley Happy

James

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.