by Paczek3zl
Explorer

No signal / mobile network not available

Hi,

I have a Pay As You Go SIM card that since yesterday has had no signal and any attempts to call or text from that card result is a "Mobile network is not available" message. My phone is dual SIM and the other SIM card is working fine so I don't think it is the phones fault.

I have searched and found some similar sounding topics where it has been suggested that a Pay As You Go number will go into hibernation after a certain period of time (https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Pay-as-you-go/What-is-pay-as-you-go-hibernation-and-how-can-I-stop-it/...). However, this link also states that I would receive a text prior to this happening and I have not been contacted in any way.

What can be done to resolve this? Is it possible to sort this out without calling up as (a) I can't call from my SIM and (b) I am currently abroad and do not want to call at a higher rate if possible.

Thanks in advance.

6 REPLIES 6
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: No signal / mobile network not available

@Paczek3zl  If the sim has gone in to hibernation you will have to call to get it reactived.  

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Paczek3zl: When did you last use this PAYG SIM for a chargeable action? EE PAYG SIMs are deactivated after 6 months of non-use. You then have a further 3 months to call EE to reactivate it before it is lost completely.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Paczek3zl
Explorer

Thank you both for the quick replies.

I haven't made a call or sent any texts in some time but I have received both calls and text within the last 3 months or so (does this count as a chargeable action?). If that doesn't count and it has to be me calling/texting etc then perhaps that explains it but even so like I said I did not receive any message from EE warning that this would happen (like the link I posted suggests should happen).

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Received non-chargeable calls & texts don't count. You need to have made a chargeable call or text, bought a Pack or an add-on, or topped up within last 6 months to prevent it going into hibernation. From what you say it almost certainly has & if it's been more than 9 months you've lost the SIM & its no.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

The procedure for PAYG hibernation may include the sending of a warning text but unfortunately the T&Cs you signed up to don't:

Pay as you go terms and conditions

6.1 We may suspend the Services or terminate this Agreement and disconnect any SIM Card from the Network without warning if:

6.3 You must make a Connection Action at least once every 180 days. If You do not, Your SIM Card will be disconnected from the Network and You will not be able to use the Services. You will lose Your mobile phone number and any Credit on Your Account at the time of such disconnection will be forfeited.

The procedure, in fact, is more lenient than the T&Cs require of them. 

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Paczek3zl

Thanks for coming to the community.

If you call our pay as you go team they will be able to check your number and see if this can be taken out of hibernation.

Thanks, Leanne.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.