cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Money Disappearing from my EE Top- Up Balance

iapennell
Explorer

Hello. My name is xxx xxxxxxx and I am new to this Forum. I have a Pay As You Go account with EE on my Apple I phone IS and have made very few calls over recent months. However, it has twice happened to me that I top up the balance on my phone- firstly with £30 and then next month £20 and the same has happened on each occasion: A few weeks later I get a message on my phone saying that I have only 50 pence worth of credit.

I spoke to a lady on the EE Chat network to report this, she told me that it was something to do with anti- virus (or something like that); I cannot remember the exact details as this was about a month ago: Either way, I was persuaded that the money being siphoned out of my account was for a vital service.

I got my mobile phone replaced in March but have kept the old number (the previous phone was a little Nokia that had no facilities to take pictures, connect to Internet, etc.). Before that time I had no problem, I could put £50 on my phone and I knew that it just went on phone- calls and texts. Now, I see that the money I put into my phone gets siphoned off (I live at home and my parents pay for Internet). 

I would like to be able to control and see what goes into and out of my mobile phone balance (and for what purposes). I don't remember buying Anti Virus Security for my phone when I got this changed in March. If I put money onto my phone I want that to be reserved for making phone calls, texts and the like- its why I have a Pay As You Go so I can control what I spend. I would like (if possible) to pay for anything else (should I decide to) from my bank- account from where I get an itemised statement each month!

Any suggestions as to how I resolve these matters quickly. I have not been using my phone for calls or texts (I cannot even check my Voicemail as that costs money) because I have- understandably- not been topping up my phone for a month!

xxx xxxxxxx

(xxxxxxx) 

[mod edit: please do not post personal information on the public board. Thanks!]

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@iapennell : All EE PAYG SIMs come primed with a recurring Pack of allowances ready to bought out of your PAYG credit as soon as it is sufficient. Your top-ups went to buy this Pack.

By texting AL to 150 it should show you the Pack you have bought with your credit & how much you have left from your allowances until its expiry date.

Text STOP PACK to 150 before you next top-up & you can use the SIM as normal PAYG at standard per-unit rates.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@iapennell : All EE PAYG SIMs come primed with a recurring Pack of allowances ready to bought out of your PAYG credit as soon as it is sufficient. Your top-ups went to buy this Pack.

By texting AL to 150 it should show you the Pack you have bought with your credit & how much you have left from your allowances until its expiry date.

Text STOP PACK to 150 before you next top-up & you can use the SIM as normal PAYG at standard per-unit rates.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hello there @iapennell

Thanks for posting on the community.

I have sent you a private message on here for some details 🙂

Leanne.

@XRaySpeX 

Thankyou for your helpful advice. I will try this out and see what happens. Hopefully that means i will be able to top up my phone without worrying about the credit mysteriously vanishing!

Thanks! You're welcome 🙂 ! Glad I could be of assistance.

literatiparty
Explorer

The same thing has been happening to me! I'm currently out of the country but have topped up my account from time to time and each time I return, the amount I topped up is gone and the balance is down to £0.36!  Can you tell me if this problem has been resolved for you and what you did to stop this mysterious disappearing balance?

Thank you!

@literatiparty : You've been buying your SIM's pre-primed pack with your PAYG credit. You've never stopped it auto reoccurring. Have you read the Solution to this thread that you tagged onto? 

Auto-recurring was stopped but that hasn't stopped the disappearing credit. Yes, I did read the "solution" and posted my reply because my problem continues with no answers from EE.

In fact, this seems to be a common occurrence as this article makes clear: https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/experts/article-3563717/My-EE-pay-credit-keeps-vanishing-no-reas...

Clearly this is a known problem with EE and they have not provided any explanation to their customers about why this is happening. Some have managed to complain and get their money returned but without any explanation about why it happened.  It sounds like an unscrupulous business practice by the company which probably brings in lots of extra money to the company. 

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @literatiparty,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

Our Customer Care Team will be happy to check why your credit has been debited if you get in touch.

Thanks

James