by asktoby
Explorer

Minimum necessary to keep PAYG active?

Hello,

I keep an orange PAYG phone for recieving calls only.

I've learnt that EE have changed their terms in the last few years such that you must either buy credit or use credit to keep your SIM active, but I can't find exactly what I must do, as a minimum, to avoid having my SIM shut down.

Could someone tell me please:

• Do I simply have to buy credit, and if so, how much and how often?
  • Do I simply have to consume credit, and if so, how much and how often?

examples:

Could I just buy £5 credit every N months but not make any SMSs or calls?

Could I buy £50 credit only once, and then send one SMS every month forever?

5 REPLIES 5
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Re: Minimum necessary to keep PAYG active?

Hi @asktoby,

Welcome to the EE Community.

So I have found the following, which I hope helps:

6.3 You must make a Connection Action at least once every 180 days. If You do not, Your SIM Card will be disconnected from the Network and You will not be able to use the Services. You will lose Your mobile phone number and any Credit on Your Account at the time of such disconnection will be forfeited

‘Connection action’ an action that must be taken to maintain connection. Connection actions include by way of example only, topping up Your Account, using data and making a chargeable call or sending a chargeable text. A full list of connection actions is set out in Our booklet of Charges

Hope this helps, I'm currently on the move so limited in answering your answer directly.

by asktoby
Explorer

Thanks.

I think an orange SMS is around £0.20.

Minimum top-up is £5

£5 buys 25 SMSs.

So if I buy £5 credit today and send one SMS every 180 days from now on that should have me covered for the next 12 years.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @asktoby

Welcome to the community. 🙂

I've found this information on our What is pay as you go hibernation and how can I stop it? support article:-

What is a chargeable activity?

• Voice and data usage. This includes making calls, sending text messages and picture messages, retrieving a voicemail, and using data.
  • Topping up your account.
  • Buying a Pack or an Add-on.

Any of the chargeable activities can be made in the UK and abroad to keep the account active.

Yes, your 25 MMS method above would work. I recommend doing it 179 days or before, just to make sure the hibernation isn't triggered.

Just a tip to stretch the credit out a bit more, a standard text message is chargeable action (when you don't have a pack). They only cost 15p.

Hope this helps. 🙂

Chris

by Emyv83
Visitor

Ok that's great but does the seem work abroad for those who live outside the UK to be able to do that texting/ calling in order to keep the SIM active?

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Emyv83.

Welcome to the community.

Any chargeable activity can be made in the UK and abroad to keep the account active.

Find out more about pay as you go hibernation >

I hope this helps.

Jon

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.