by Tom111 Investigator
Investigator

How to refund unused credit from my account

I have been using the pay as you go system since March as I am only in the UK until early August. This has worked fine up until my most recent top up earlier this month. Each month I was making sure that I had the £20 credit in the account so that there was no disruption to the service.

A few weeks ago I was taking a week long trip to London and I realised that my account would need topped up while I was away. To save me having to make the payment on my phone while in London I decided to put the £20 into my account early. On the day I was returning to Scotland my phone stopped working. I realised this was the day my previous credit ran out. I was unable to call up to query what had happened as I did not know what the number was, but I noticed that you allow customers with no credit to access a limited version of your website in order to check their account and top it up. I did this and discovered that there was only £19.70 in the account so obviously the auto £20 top up was unable to occur. In order to get my phone working again I topped up the minimum £5 so that I could do the £20 rollover.

I've no idea why an extra 30p had come out of the account. I can guess that you'll probably tell me that I had gone over my credit limit or something like that. I don't recall any message telling me that I'd used all my £20 limit for the month, however I am not concerned about the 30p. All I want to know is how to get back the final £4.70 from the account.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Finally, I'm a bit annoyed that there has been almost no service in my area today (I did look at your Coverage Checker which confirmed that EE are aware of the problem).

Thanks

Tom

8 REPLIES 8
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: How to refund unused credit from my account

I'm confused :(. To help me understand this, does both:

@Tom111 wrote:

I realised this was the day my previous credit ran out.

@Tom111 wrote:

so obviously the auto £20 top up was unable to occur.

really mean a £20 30-day Pack of allowances?

There is a diff between:

• Top-up & the resultant PAYG credit which remains until you spend it.
  • Recurring Packs which last 30 days & are bought from your PAYG credit.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Employee

Hi @Tom111 and welcome to the community.

We are unable to refund any unused top up.

Customer services will be able to look into where your missing credit has went though.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Tom111 Investigator
Investigator

Hi, sorry I am not on top of all the terminology. My monthly £20 credit was all fine, I had put another £20 in to the account so that at the end of the period the next month would automatically be funded (as I had been doing for the previous months since March when I got back into the UK from living overseas). Hope this makes sense

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Have you set up a recurring top-up by credit or debit card? Is that what your " monthly £20 credit" is?

Sorry, I can't get my head round what is auto recurring monthly. Is a top-up or is it a pack?

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Tom111 Investigator
Investigator

Hi,

Is there any way for me to appeal this, or to escalate to someone senior within EE?

I don’t think I was requesting anything unreasonable.

I’ve been coming in and out of the UK for the last 13 years and would always pick up a Vodafone sim card when I landed in the UK. There was no particular reason I picked Vodafone in the past, and this time I happened to just select an EE store to get a pay as you go SIM card. I’ve given EE £105 pounds of trouble free business since March and I believe that I should be due £4.70 back.

I’m about to leave the UK again for a period of work abroad and am unsure when I am back again. This backward system of not being able to get the money in my EE account returned will simply mean that I won’t touch EE again (losing the company an easy £80 – £120 in 2019, again in 2020, and so on).

Also, I wasn’t bothered before but what compensation can I claim for the inconvenience caused today as there was no service in my area until this evening?

Thanks

Tom

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Tom111 wrote:

I've no idea why an extra 30p had come out of the account.

If you log into your online MyEE a/c (which you can always do regardless of whether you have PAYG credit or not) & click on "See Itemised Usage" you may see what this charge is for if it were within the last 30 days.

It is this 30p that is the root cause of you overspending £4.70, the basis of your claim.

It could be that you intended to send an SMS text which would be free out of your Pack but somehow it was turned into an MMS (Picture Msg), by, e.g. including an emoticon like :), for which the charge is 35p & you are 5p out in your calculations.

You would not be sent any msg that you had spent 30/35p of your credit.

by Tom111 Investigator
Investigator

Thanks for your help, I appreciate the effort.

I'm not bothered about the 30p, just wanted the 4.70 back, that's a pint at the airport before I fly out.

I'll see what EE say before this turns into a saga...

by Grand Master
Grand Master

I know, but I'm saying the 30p is the reason that you are in this position.

If the 30p results from something you did, then EE could claim that you should have known & it is a consequence of your doing.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.