by indydaug Investigator
Investigator

How do I activate a PayG sim card on my Canadian iPhone when I arrive in the UK.

I visit the UK every 7-9 months and want to purchase from EE an International Pay as you Go SIM card. I would preorder the card and have it delivered in advance to my first location after landing at GLA. I am assuming the SIM card packaging will tell me the card's phone number and if in doubt I can text NUMBER to 150. How do I actually activate this SIM card? When one does it online, one is asked for the previous number. There isn't a previous number, so presumably one inserts this SIM's phone number?  

I also want to use the same SIM card for future visits. I have gleaned that I need to send a text from Canada within 180 days to 150 ( cost 60p ) to keep the card and number active. This card will only be used for emergencies and hence there will be minimal usage. I also believe that before I leave the UK, I should text STOP PACK to 150 to prevent any change in the plan and when the day comes that I do need to top up, that I have to resend the text STOP PACK after topping up to prevent some form of plan conversion.

Is the above correct?  Thank you

6 REPLIES 6
by indydaug Investigator
Investigator

Re: How do I activate a PayG sim card on my Canadian iPhone when I arrive in the

Thank XraySpex for your input.

So if I understand you correctly, when the internal PayG SIM card arrives, I put it in my phone and I am good to go without doing anything.

To prevent the card from hibernating after 180 days of non use (should that occur ), I send a text to 150. Otherwise, as long as the balance stays above £0, I am OK until the next trip to the UK, at which time I can top up if needed.

Cheers,
Chip

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tel: xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Fax: xxxxxxxxxx
E-mail: xxxxxxxxxxx
Web: xxxxxxxxx

[Mod edit: Please do not share personal details as your posts are visible to the public. Thanks!]

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: How do I activate a PayG sim card on my Canadian iPhone when I arrive in the

@indydaug: I'm afraid there are a few misconceptions there.

PAYG SIMs don't need activating. The activation form you seem to be filling in is for new contract SIMs where the user has upgraded his phone & needs to replace the previous no. the SIM came with with his original no.

Yes, you could text STOP PACK when you leave the UK to stop the pack auto renewing but you don't again text STOP PACK when you next arrive back in UK. You text the code of the pack you want to 150, but I don't think you may reorder the International pack but only 1 of the standard packs which can be found by texting ALL PACKS to 150.

Better still if you want to keep the International pack don't use STOP PACK & don't top-up to above the monthly price of the pack until you return to UK. Packs will only be bought when the PAYG credit is sufficient to pay for them. So before you leave UK you could run your credit below £10, enough for those "stay-alive" texts, & top-up to £10 or £15 when you return here.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

URGENT: Please remove your personal info. from public gaze. You could be spammed.

Yes on all counts. Almost ...

I'm not sure about sending texts to 150 from abroad will count even tho' they should be chargeable. Better to send to a person's no. They will still cost 60p.

Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by indydaug Investigator
Investigator

Thank you. I answered from my phone and not inside the community. Is there any way to take the post down permanently?

by indydaug Investigator
Investigator

I see you deleted the info. Phew.  Thank you.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

It's OK. A Mod had edited them out.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.