by Julie555 Contributor
Contributor

HELP NEEDED DESPERATELY, MOBILE BROADBAND TOP UP PROBLEM

I use a T Mobile mobile broadband dongle which I top up monthly with an E TOP-up Card at a shop.  When I tried to top up on 1st March it wouldn't work so they sold me a Top-up voucher instead which I have to text through to get the top up but I don't have a T-mobile mobile phone (I've got Tesco mobile on my phone) so I presume I can't use this voucher to top up my T mobile dongle from my Tesco mobile phone. 

Help, what can I do?  I've never been able to top up online, when I try to do it, it won't open the webpage as it says the security certificate is dodgy or something and it's not wise to continue, so obviously I don't.  I don't have any other broadband and my current allowance runs out in a few days and I can't manage without it.  Can anyone help as I am desperate and don't know what else to do.

7 REPLIES 7
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: HELP NEEDED DESPERATELY, MOBILE BROADBAND TOP UP PROBLEM

What model MBB dongle do you have? Is it really a dongle that USB-plugs into a PC or is it a free-standing MBB router that provides local WiFi in the home?

Most MBB routers are able to send SMS but I'm not sure about dongles.

Is the E-voucher from EE or T-M? The E-voucher's 16-digit no. needs to be sent as an SMS from the no. being topped-up. If you do have a router you should be able to do that.

I'm surprised that the E-Top-up card no longer works. Is that from EE or T-M?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Julie555 Contributor
Contributor

Hi thank you for your reply. 

It's a dongle which I push into my laptop.  The Top-up voucher says T-Mobile at the top.

You say the voucher's 16 digit no. needs to be sent as an SMS from the no. being topped up but I'm not topping up a phone, I'm topping up the dongle, for the internet, on my laptop.  I don't have a T-Mobile (or EE) phone.  (I've got Tesco mobile on my phone which I think is o2).

The E-Top-up card is from T-Mobile and it's the first time it hasn't worked.  The person in the shop said it might be a glitch, so I tried again a bit later but it still wasn't working. I wondered if it had something to do with the T-Mobile account portal closing on 28th Feb.  If it is I don't know what to do as I don't seem able to use the voucher without a T-M (or EE) phone and even then I don't know if the voucher is just to top up a phone or whether it would top up just my dongle.

I haven't got a clue what to do apart from going back and trying again to buy a top up like I usually do with my T-Mobile E Top-up card and hope they will also credit me for the voucher I bought, if I can't use it.

If it still doesn't work, what next? Any help and advice will be gratefully received.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

What model is the dongle? So we can see if it does SMS like an MBB router does.

Can you login to it at http://192.168.1.1 as "admin"/"admin"?

You could always top-up at an ATM.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Julie555 Contributor
Contributor

Hi I typed a long reply to your first message, tried to send it and lost it
all. My T-Mobile connection is very bad at the moment, as has been the
case for quite a while now, it used to be quite good.

The dongle is ZTE Model number MF626. I did try to send an SMS to 150 but
it just kept failing, over and over. I've never tried to send an SMS on it
before.

Didn't understand about the logging in at 192 etc.

I've never used an ATM, even for cash.

I just wanted to top up as I always have for years and years. Could it
have been a glitch yesterday and if I try to buy it again as usual today it
might be ok or is it something to do with the online account thing closing
on 28th Feb?
by rab01
Visitor

Hi julie, I too use a t-mobile dongle and topped up last week. It stopped working on the first and like you, I think it to do with the network.

I went along to my EE shop. I was advised that an EE card won't work as the device will be locked to t-mobile and I will have to buy a new device and forfeit any credit I have on the old one.

I have been using this device for years. Apparently, as I have been informed, EE are moving away from these types of devices and I was shown many of the other devices I could purchase and top up,, even though I have existing credit.

I was offered home broadband, I know, great on the go.

I'm left with the option of now spending more money with ee or just getting a dongle with another provider, either way, it looks like I have lost my existing credit.

Sorry this isn't much help but trying to speak to anyone has almost been impossible

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Ah, the ZTE MF626 does do SMS. You should be in business.

Did you try sending the text VO followed by the E-voucher's 16-digit no to 150, but it failed to send?

Check in the dongle's Telecom Connection Manager Message Settings that the Message Center no. is +447958879879. Make a note of what it was before as I'm not certain whether that no. is also for T-Mobile.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

I've checked with the staff here & found out:

1. Your T-Mobile E-Top-Up card should still work.
  2. If you buy an E-Voucher you should buy an EE 1 from now on.
  3. You may also top-up at an ATM where you should select the 'EE' option.

Has texting VO voucher-no to EE worked from the MBB device?

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.