by Sal2018 Contributor
Contributor

EE Hibernation and Lack of Technical Support Knowhow

So I am currently abroad and my phone went into hibernation due to lack of use. I then topped up online. Still not working so I phoned, via landline, the call centre. They brought out of hibernation, but still not receiving calls/SMS. EE say that the phone will not work until I make a call in the UK!

I am stuck abroad, without an operating phone, and unable to access my bank accounts or credit cards as they are sending SMS confirmations to an inoperative phone. Even though I am registered on the partner EE network while aboard!

Unable to get back to the UK and I do not have access to funds. The worst customer service experience. Any ideas welcomed?

14 REPLIES 14
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Re: EE Hibernation and Lack of Technical Support Knowhow

You are not registered on the EE network abroad as they dont have a service abroad.

You are using the foreign network who then sends all data to EE to bill you if it is billable.

Can you not use another phone to ring bank etc to talk to them saying you cant receive texts at the moment they will work round this so you are able to access funds.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by Sal2018 Contributor
Contributor

When I say registered on the network, I mean it is showing an “EE’ symbol on the screen.

I will try to get money somehow, however I am also unable to access all sorts of other critical services as SMS are not being received on my phone.

Why are EE refusing (under a technical inability mask) to make my phone useable again unless I come back to the UK? I had the same problem 6 months ago while abroad. One quick phone call and all up and running again. Now all of a sudden they are refusing to help!

I cannot get back to the UK until December.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@Sal2018 , You should have known, that if you do not use your phone for a certain length of time, then it goes into hibernation, all companies do this and you need to activate the phone in the UK first, not EE’s fault, but your own.  You need to make a call or send a text at least once every six months, not just receive them, you should have known this if it has happened to you before. Sorry to be so blunt.

Can you not access your account and other services online to keep up to date with things? There must be a way to do this.

by Sal2018 Contributor
Contributor

When it happened earlier in the year, whilst I was abroad, they took the phone out of hibernation no problem. I assumed that the same could and would be done again. 

Do EE not send out a text message to advise when the phone is approaching hibernation phase? Surely that is not difficult to do. Likewise surely it is not beyond the wit of man that they can reactivate my phone again whilst I am abroad. Like previously. It seems they just don't want, computer says 'NO' !

In addition it does not condone the down right rude, condensing, belligerent, dismissive attitude of the call centre staff. Poor customer service ! I concur with Trustpilot, with 80% reporting the EE experience as BAD ! 

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Has it ever occurred to you, that people who have a grudge against EE, same with O2 and Vodafone and any other companies, are the ones who write on these websites, such as Trustpilot, people who do not have a problem or a complaint write to those websites.

Yes you should have had a text from EE warning you. Did you have your phone on to receive such a text?

I would suggest you get in touch with EE to explain this, you can use an app such as Skype or Viber. I have never had a problem with EE, personally.

Just wondering, have you rebooted your phone?

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi there @Sal2018

I am sorry to hear of your experience with our Mobile Care team.

If you can give our Pay as you go team a call they will be able to check your account and see what they can do to help.

Let us know how you get on.

Leanne 🙂

by Sal2018 Contributor
Contributor

Hi Leanne

Thank you so much for your message.

Unfortunately speaking to the “EE Pay as you go team” is where the problems started. Speaking over four separate calls. With one EE lady extremely rude, obnoxious and belligerent.

The ‘EE Pay as you go team’ have put a note on the system to say that my phone will only ever work again “if I return to the UK and make a call”. Or I request a new SIM, give this to a friend in the UK, have the number transferred over to the new sim, and then let my friend courier this to me 0,000’s Km away!

Both solutions are impracticable and I am pretty confident that with a flick of a switch EE can make my phone operational again. But for whatever reason EE appear to be being deliberately obstructive and unhelpful to the situation.

S

Ps To answer a previous question, my phone is on 24/7 and no EE did not send me a text message to advise that my phone would soon go into hibernation. Although as of now the SIM is NOT in hibernation as EE brought it out of hibernation, but the SIM is still locked to international calls.

by

Hi @Sal2018

Thanks for coming back to me.

Do you have a signal showing on the device?

Can you receive calls and texts?

Also, what happens when you try and make a call?

Leanne.

by Sal2018 Contributor
Contributor

Hi Leanne

I have full signal and the phone/SIM is registered to the local network and shows 'xxx/EE'

When I try to make a call it says international call barring.

I cannot receive calls or texts. If you try to phone my number you get a message stating "calls are not currently being connected to this number"

On Friday when EE took the phone out of hibernation, they also checked and stated that roaming was activated. 

Everything was fine until it went into hibernation on 19th July. Now EE cannot reactivate my phone and state that I must come back to the UK ! This I really do not technically understand as similar happened to me 6 months ago while I was abroad. EE took the phone out of hibernation and all worked perfectly until 19th July.

by

Hi @Sal2018

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have sent you a private message on here to get some details.

Leanne.

by Sal2018 Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Leanne for your assistance and for trying to organise EE to ring me to fix this issue. Much appreciated.

As discussed, unfortunately I only have one mobile phone that EE can contact me on. Unfortunately this mobile has has been cut off by EE and will only be reinstated if I come back to the UK and make a one second chargeable phone call. (to recap, I am abroad right now).

There was an offer for EE to contact me on another phone number, but only if it was a UK number. It appears EE do not have the technical ability to phone a foreign phone number.

Back to square number one ! So sad, so depressing, such a shame.

Without wanting to get political I can see why EE were ranked 12 out of 13 for poor mobile phone network customer service. This is in no way a reflection on the EE community. Leanne did her best.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Sal2018   If your a PAYG customer and the phone has a signal there is no reason to make a call in the UK,  roaming and international calls are automatically enabled you just need credit on the account as you have to add credit before any calls are allowed.   And depending on where you are in the world you might need credit on the account to receive a phone call as the incoming call might be chargeable also.  

Do you have credit on the account that is not been used to purchase a pack.  Are you outside of the EU ? 

by Sal2018 Contributor
Contributor

Regardless of whether the phone has a signal, roaming and international calls enabled, sufficient credit etc etc. If the phone has gone into hibernation whilst abroad, (I am outside the EU) then EE will not reactivate your phone until you register onto a UK EE phone mast and then make a chargeable phone call in the UK.

Be warned if you are thinking of going on a long holiday for a few months, taking your UK phone for emergency purposes or to do banking, pay bills, confirm credit card payments etc. You could like me, be left up the creek without a paddle !

I have been told today that EE can reactivate my phone, but they will not until I prove I am in the UK! Ofcom requirement ?

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

You need a stable link to the UK.

If you are going on holiday for a few months that is not a stable link.

You went y months without using your phone. Which shows there is no stable link.

This will be the reason it isnt allowing them to reactivate.

You need to look at roaming policy which states you are classed as no longer roaming after so long.

Itll be cheaper and better for you if you are going to a long period outside the UK to get the phone unlocked and to get a local sim.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.