by PaulRobb Investigator
Investigator

Credit disappeared

My twin daughters have been on Orange PAYG for about 4 years. They have always had to use their credit after any free minutes and texts were used up.

Today their free texts, calls and data expired after a month but it also took all of their credit which has never happened before. Have the terms and conditions changed?

6 REPLIES 6
by Profile closed
Not applicable

Re: Credit disappeared

Hello @PaulRobb sorry to hear they are having trouble with some missing credit. Once their data bundles expired did they carry on using data or leave mobile data access switched on on their phones? Without a data bundle using data services on Orange PAYG is 65p/mb, which would drain credit pretty fast on a smartphone. You can check the recent usage on their accounts by logging in to Your Orange online using this link and navigating to current credit & extras>recent usage:

https://web.orange.co.uk/id/signin.php

There is no account access on this public user forum to check any charges or query the usage through here, but customer service on 450 from an Orange PAYG phone or 07973 100 450 from any other can access the account and look into this for you if you like. 🙂
by PaulRobb Investigator
Investigator

They both leave their mobile data switched off and only use Wi Fi so it can't be that.

I will call Customer Services and speak to them.

by Profile closed
Not applicable

Hello @PaulRobb let me know how you get on if you have the time. You can check up to the last 48hrs/30days online or customer service should be able to see any usage that goes back further. 🙂 
by PaulRobb Investigator
Investigator

Okay, I have looked into this a bit deeper and have found that this is likely to be a data problem.

Both daughters had Iphone 6 plus phones for christmas and put their Orange PAYG sim into that phone. Mobile data is turned off. However, after their free allowance had finished the following charges are shown.

18/01/17 08:41 GPRS ap-prepaidsessio 926.0        0.58

18/01/17 08:06 GPRS ap-prepaidsessio 1534.0     0.98

18/01/17 08:06 GPRS ap-prepaidsessio 1996.0     1.27

18/01/17 08:06 GPRS ap-prepaidsessio 2014.0     1.28

18/01/17 08:05 GPRS ap-prepaidsessio 1996.0     1.27

18/01/17 08:05 GPRS ap-prepaidsessio 1996.0     1.27

18/01/17 08:04 GPRS ap-prepaidsessio 1684.0     1.07

18/01/17 08:04 GPRS ap-prepaidsessio 1996.0     1.27

18/01/17 08:04 GPRS ap-prepaidsessio 1996.0     1.27

This used all of their £10 credit in a few minutes. I am presuming that the phone is updating apps even though the mobile network is turned off. We have found another setting called Wi-Fi Assist which was switched on. This seemed to use mobile data when wi-fi is poor or not in range.

Does anyone know if we have to turn anything else off (each individual app maybe) or is it sufficient to turn off mobile data and Wi-fi Assist to prevent credit being used up?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, that must be it. Wi-Fi Assist is cutting in. You should be OK if you switch them both off but look at this excellent article by @Chris_BiPhones: Ways to save your EE data for the full detail.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Profile closed
Not applicable

Hello @PaulRobb thank you for confirming. I am glad to hear you got to the bottom of where the credit went although I am sorry to hear this has happened in the first place. On iOS 9 & above you need both mobile data and wifi assist switched off to completely restrict the phone from using data services. Make sure if you ever reset the phones network settings you do this without the SIM inserted or using one with an active data allowance as it will switch mobile data back on by default on rebooting, using data before you have chance to switch it back off. 

You can keep a track of when their Dolphin allowances are next due to refresh by logging in to Your Orange online and navigating to top up & manage cards>top up rewards, which will give you the date they will next refresh and how much you have topped up so far to claim them again. 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.