by dougvcd Contributor
Contributor

how to set up dvr to remote view

ok i have a dvr which worked fine on virgin media but now we with ee cant get my android phone to view remote . works on the tv and laptop if i use wifi at home it shows on phone but turn off wifi and connection faild any ideas. had 02 simcard in phone so changed it to ee still no diff 

many thanks

18 REPLIES 18
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: how to set up dvr to remote view

You cannot control home appliances remotely over the EE mobile network unless their manufacturer provides some sort of Cloud-based solution that monitors them continuously.

This is cuz EE mobile network uses Carrier Grade NAT (CGNAT), which means that you don't get your own public IP address but share it with other users. So you can't be uniquely id'ed on the Net by unsolicited accesses. This is unlike fixed BB.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by dougvcd Contributor
Contributor

thanks for that just had a look and there is a cloud number presume thats the port number which i have to forward 

cheers

by Grand Master
Grand Master

That doesn't sound like what I'm talking about. A port no. doesn't come into it.

A Cloud-based solution involves the home appliance "phoning home" regularly to its manufacturer so that no unsolicited access is required for them to know where it is. Then you login to your a/c on the manufacturer's site & it talks to the appliance on your behalf.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by dougvcd Contributor
Contributor

not sure if getting wires crossed the dvr is for cctv cams 

so no way on ee to do this

cheers

Doug

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Don't think so. If they provide a Cloud-based solution you would just see the DVR controls on their website and just rewind & play whatever you want to see on their site.

What model DVR is it?

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

You should be able to download an app to see your cameras, you will not be able to see what you have recorded, but should be able to see what is going on live. I think the recordings you can only see when at home. If you had the equipment installed,  then speak to your supplier.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Ah, yes, in a Clould-based solution it could also be a mobile app as well as the website.

I have an app as well as going to D-Link's website for viewing my D-Link IP cams. You do need to register on the website 1st.

I don't see why it shouldn't also apply to DVRs.

by dougvcd Contributor
Contributor

yes i have downloaded 2 apps vmeye and vmeye+ they just wont connect 

by dougvcd Contributor
Contributor

unfortunatly its a chinese dvr called DVRvision h264 digital and have lost cd that came with it so strugling to get things right plus at 70 me brain dont work as well as it did hehehe

by Grand Master
Grand Master

What about vMEyeCloud? Could that be what I'm talking about?

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

On the phone and IPad, I have XMEye, tried the other two on the laptop with no success,to view CCTV.

by dougvcd Contributor
Contributor

yes its the phone side i am trying to get to work i have a samsung gt-7000 will try xeye

by dougvcd Contributor
Contributor

no that didnt work 

thanks to all for help

by dougvcd Contributor
Contributor

ripping me hair out now cant seem to get it to work with phone and havnt got any idea what to try next except go back to virgin media.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

What router is the DVR connected to?

by dougvcd Contributor
Contributor

brightbox2 from ee have just tried a foscam ip cam same problem laptop fine phone no joy even with foscam app

cheers

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Sorry, I thought you were using a mobile BB router. Please ignore all I said earlier as it was about the limitations of mobile networks.

Have you port forwarded the necessary ports of these devices & tested them?

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@dougvcd, with my system, I right click to get the settings up for my dvr and then guide, and then on the XMEye either click on + or search device, and it should then show up. 

On mine the guide on the dvr is the welcome to the configuration where I have to click next. My dvr is specific for the cameras, not sure what you have, and I have two monitors, one in the kitchen-diner and one in the sitting room, as it is also a way of keeping an eye on my disabled daughter, as well as for the front and back of the house.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.