by vickynewby Investigator
Investigator

Wi-Fi Calling Blackberry DTEK 60

Looking for some help, bought a Blackberry DTEK 60 SIM free from Carphone Warehouse (as per my company's policy) SIM card supplied via my company from EE.  Phone all setup and working, except I cannot get the Wi-Fi calling enabled.  The option is there, but whenever I try and enable it, it is just 'unable to connect'.  Several calls to EE, the SIM is definitely enabled for Wi-Fi Calling, but now the conclusion is that because I bought the phone from elsewhere (EE don't even sell the DTEK 60) it's unsupported.  I don't accept this on the basis that it clearly states on the website:

"The following devices bought from other retailers should support WiFi Calling (please check when buying a phone from a non-EE retailer whether or not it supports WiFi Calling, as we cannot guarantee phones purchased from third parties will support the feature):

• BlackBerry Priv, Dtek 50, Dtek 60"

As I said, EE don't sell the Dtek 60, yet it shows as a supported device... I am guessing I need some sort of firmware that will enable this Wi-Fi calling to work, but am struggling to find it on the Internet.

I have tried everything else, such as Android updates, restarting the phone (several times). There is no issue with my Wi-Fi, my personal Three phone works a treat on Wi-Fi and has done for the best part of a year.  I need this to work because my phone signal is very poor in my house.  It's so frustrating when I know if my company mobile was on Three it would work with no issue.... If I can't get it to work I will simply agree with work for me to get a Three SIM and claim back the cost each month.

But fingers crossed someone has a solution in the meantime.

TIA Vicky

5 REPLIES
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: Wi-Fi Calling Blackberry DTEK 60

Hi @vickynewby,

Thanks for visiting the EE Community.

I'm sorry to hear the phone you purchased doesn't support EE WiFi calling.

As stated on the website, you should check when buying a phone from a non-EE retailer whether or not it supports WiFi Calling, as we cannot guarantee phones purchased from third parties will support the feature.

It could be that the phone doesn't have UK/EU firmware.

James

Investigator

Thanks James.  It does support Wi-Fi calling, because it is listed on the EE website as being a supported device, whether bought direct or indirect.  I bought it in the UK, via Carphone Warehouse, but how do I check if it has UK firmware or not?

Surely if EE list this is a supported device for Wi-Fi calling, yet do not make it available to purchase via the EE shop, then the only option is to buy it elsewhere and assume it is supported, given it is listed on your website as such?  It makes no sense to me really.

Do you know if EE plan to actually support this device in the imminent future or not?  Otherwise I will have to look at an alternative solution as it isn't really going to work for me or my company, having a phone that can't be used via Wi-Fi.

Thanks, Vicky

by

Hi @vickynewby,

Carphone Warehouse should be able to let you know which region firmware it's running.

The website doesn't guarantee EE WiFi calling support for any handsets not purchased with EE direct and recommends checking with the individual retailer before purchasing.

Thanks

James

Investigator

Okay, I will speak to Carphone Warehouse, it's an awful shame you can't offer a service like Three to enable all customers in poor signal areas the ability to call via Wi-Fi.  It renders the phone pretty usless for what I need it for.

Thanks for your help anyway, I appreciate it doesn't guarantee the service on the website, but its misleading to say the least that it lists it as a supported device....

by

No problem @vickynewby 

I'm sorry we couldn't provide a solution for you.

Thanks

James

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.