by mark26
Explorer

Signal Box questions

I'm a low-use PAYG customer with a phone that doesn't support wifi-calling, and in an 'Outdoor coverage only' area (I do get a bit of poor 2G indoors).

My EE shop says shops don't carry the Signal Box any more (true?) and only available by convincing head office I need one. With my usage I wouldn't expect a free one but what are the options?

Easiest seems to be buy one on eBay, but are EE happy to re-register a second-hand box? They seem to sell regularly on eBay for around £40 - £45 so that would be a great option provided I can register a used box, what with only being a PAYG customer.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Signal Box questions

@mark26   The signal box has to be linked to an account so if you purchased one from eBay it will be linked to somebody else’s account and you would not be able to use it or have it re-registered to you.     EE shops do sell these so I don’t know why you was told they don’t.     I also have a horrible feeling that the signal box has to be linked to a contract account and not a pay-as-you-go account I could be mistaken on that though. 

Probably @James_B or @Richard_C or @Christopher_G could confirm that. 

6 REPLIES 6
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

@mark26   The signal box has to be linked to an account so if you purchased one from eBay it will be linked to somebody else’s account and you would not be able to use it or have it re-registered to you.     EE shops do sell these so I don’t know why you was told they don’t.     I also have a horrible feeling that the signal box has to be linked to a contract account and not a pay-as-you-go account I could be mistaken on that though. 

Probably @James_B or @Richard_C or @Christopher_G could confirm that. 

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Chris_B

Thanks for tagging me.

You are right and that is exactly the situation for the customer.

Thanks

Richard

🙂

by mark26
Explorer

Interesting, thanks, although dissapointing.

That means almost every box sold on eBay (and there are many) is unusable and worthless. A few do specifically mention 'unregistered', but very few.

With many users now being able to simply use wifi-calling, I'd guess there could be lots of used Signal Boxs for sale.

OK, forget eBay.

Even if I get one from an EE shop that know what they're talking about (and it seems the cost is £89), I still can't register to a PAYG account. Looks like game over for me!

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @mark26

Thank you for coming back to us 🙂

Have you ever considered SIM only by any chance?

You'd be able to take advantage of WiFi calling.

Please take a look at our EE WiFi Calling: All you need to know support article for further details.

Hope this helps.

Richard

🙂

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@mark26  The cheapest sim only on the EE website is £11 a month and with that you get unlimited call and text with 250mb of data.  But if you call customer services they might offer you a cheaper deal as not all deals are advised 

but you’ll only get WiFi calling if your device supports it in the EE WiFi calling service but you can get a signal box if it doesn’t. 

by mark26
Explorer

It does indeed seem as if I need to change phone or package or SIM-type or network.

Will go away and give that some hard thought.

Thanks.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions