Highlighted
by Rorysayshi Investigator
Investigator

Question on Data for the Galaxy watch 42MM

Hi

I just added the Galaxy watch onto my plan as an extra, have had some trouble as with others here getting the 4g LTE set up on the watch. 
I've finally got it connected but had a question 

Now that its connected, if I turn off bluetooth I can still brows the web or use things that rely on mobile network, however I wanted to check, If the watch is connected through the bluetooth on the phone, will it burn data from my phone, or use the data on the watches plan?

Tried looking for info elsewhere but cant really find anything.

The watch comes with unlimited data and my phone doesn't. Wasnt sure and it might be a stupid question but I dont mind being stupid if it means I get an answer haha!

Thanks in advance.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Marrila Established Contributor
Established Contributor
Solution

Re: Question on Data for the Galaxy watch 42MM

@Rorysayshi wrote:

Hi

I just added the Galaxy watch onto my plan as an extra, have had some trouble as with others here getting the 4g LTE set up on the watch. 

Now that its connected, if I turn off bluetooth I can still brows the web or use things that rely on mobile network, however I wanted to check, If the watch is connected through the bluetooth on the phone, will it burn data from my phone, or use the data on the watches plan?

The watch comes with unlimited data and my phone doesn't. Wasnt sure and it might be a stupid question but I dont mind being stupid if it means I get an answer haha!

Thanks in advance.

The watch only uses its own data if you set data to always on! If you set it as auto your watch will only use its own data when it is NOT connected via bluetooth. 

Dont make this mistake 

9 REPLIES 9
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Rorysayshi  The watch should be using its own connection for data,  Bluetooth is used just to push notifications from the phone to the watch or the watch to control parts of the phone. 

by Marrila Established Contributor
Established Contributor
Solution

@Rorysayshi wrote:

Hi

Thanks in advance.

The watch only uses its own data if you set data to always on! If you set it as auto your watch will only use its own data when it is NOT connected via bluetooth. 

Dont make this mistake 

Investigator

Thank you!

Investigator

Thank you!

by SukhiDhillon Investigator
Investigator

I have done this setting but when Connected to bluetooth and phone data/wifi off and watch data is  on it says cannot load then when phone data is on it loads

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @SukhiDhillon,

Did you buy the watch directly from EE with a data plan added to your account?

Are you able to use data on the watch itself when Bluetooth is turned off?

Alex 🙂

by SukhiDhillon Investigator
Investigator

yes brought from ee with unlimited data plan and added to same account as my note 9.

Yes i can use the data when its not connected through bluetooth 

I want it to use the watch data when connected through bluetooth and not the phones.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @SukhiDhillon,

Have you spoken to our Tech Gurus?

They will be able to check your account and talk you through the steps to be able to connect if the steps on the thread are not working.

Come back and let us know how you get on once you have spoken to them.

Alex 🙂

by Profile closed
Not applicable

Your watch cannot use it's own data plan whilst it's connected to your handset.  The only way to get the watch to use it's own plan is by disconnecting it from your handset i.e. by turning off bluetooth (and turning WiFi off via the watch settings) or moving it far away enough from the handset so it drops it's bluetooth connection and the watch is not connected to WiFi.

Offering unlimited data with watch data plans is actually a bit of a con as having had an Apple Watch cellular plan here with EE now for nearly 6 months (Apple Watch plans are exactlyy the same as Galaxy watch plans) and in that 6 months I've actually only used around a total of just 1Gb of watch data.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.