by mlines
Explorer

Galaxy Watch on 4G with Google Pixel - support experience

I had two discussions with EE shop staff (in two separate shops) about the compatibilty of the Galaxy Watch with the Google Pixel 2XL phone. Both shops assured me it was full compatible, indeed in one shop the shop manager had exactly that set-up working.

After purchasing the watch and linking to my phone I noticed that, when physically away from the phone, the watch had no data connection and said "emergency calls only".

This had all the signs of a simple phone style "not connecting to the phone service problem"

I called EE support who said "The watch doesn't work with Pixel". They would not listen to what the problem was, just kept repeating the mantra.                                                        Whilst i accepted that some functions might not work, this was not the issue. The watch was not connecting, it had no network details (phone number, data usage etc.). 

I was told to return the watch and get a refund as it would not work with my phone

In the end, I spent a while and found, on the Wear App on the phone, an option to turn LTE on. The watch is default configured with it off. The option is not clear, there is no text or label. Its just a symbol of the watch which is grey. I noticed that other similar symbols are coloured. Therefore I pressed the grey symbol and it said "Turn on LTE" and I did so. The watch appeared to reset twice (boot screen of some sort) and then the moble network connection information in the watch showed a phone number and APN details appeared. The symbol on the phone APP changed to colour.

So in short, it is all working just perfectly now. Watch can make/receive calls when the phone is not present. Synchronisation etc works fine over 4G.

I have not found a single function that does not work properly. Therefore, in line with the advice of the EE stores, I beleive my Google Pixel 2XL works perfectly with the watch both in bluetooth and 4G modes

Very pleased with the outcome, not pleased with EE support who wanted me to return and refund.

6 REPLIES 6
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Re: Galaxy Watch on 4G with Google Pixel - support experience

@mlines there have been other cases where people have bought the watch and used it with other android phones Samsung want you to use it with their phones not a competitor's.

by mlines
Explorer

Yes, the annoying part was that EE support would not get beyond the "it wont work" instead of saying, have you checked t is turned on in the app...

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@mlines they will only give you the information given to them by Samsung and Samsung havent said it works with other phones.

by Adzz1232

I’m having the same issue with my pixel 3a but I can’t seem to find the place where I can turn on the LTE would you be able to direct or send photos.

thanks!

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Adzz1232   Do you have the wear app on your device?  It’s in that. 

by
EE Community Support Team

Welcome to the community, @Adzz1232.

Did you manage to find the Wear app?

Chris

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.