by cpcnw Established Contributor
Established Contributor

BlackBerry email stopped working after just one month

About a month ago I asked EE if they would enable BIS on my account so I could use my old BB Bold 9900. Kudos to EE they did so and I setup my primary email account.

It all worked perfectly until just recently [about a week ago] when the device started asking me to verify the password for the email address. This didnt work even though I entered the correct password and eventually I removed the email account, restarted the phone and started from scratch.

Subsequent attempts at setting up email all fail with incorrect address / username / password even though I know for fact I have these 100% correct.

I have even tried 2 other email accounts on different ISP's and they behave in exactly the same way so it is not to do with the specific provider.

As an aside I have a 3rd party app to test with and that sends and receiveds email fine however I prefer the native app.

Everything else works and I have the BlackBerry symbol in the status bar.

One last thing I did notice the battery life getting chewed up in this state of 'non verified email account' - may be a coincidence but it seems to have gotten better since removing the mail account suggesting the device is not contstantly trying to do something it cant do!

Any help please?

Here is associated initial message

http://support.blackberry.com/kb/articleDetail?articleNumber=000032866

After getting the error message there is an option to enter the server details which fail with invalid user / pass etc

15 REPLIES 15
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: BlackBerry email stopped working after just one month

Good Morning @cpcnw

Have you spoke with our customer service team to ensure everything is how it should be on your account?

Are you connected to WiFi whilst trying this?

Speak soon, Katie 🙂

Established Contributor

Spoken to two support staff - bit of a mystery issue that has not been resolved so far.

Escalated to a higher level / BlackBerry expert etc and I am waiting for call back.

As an aside this doesnt seem to do anything???

https://ee.blackberry.com/html

Maybe EE should remove it or replace with a message is it isnt functional as its referenced from a link on BlackBerry device as an alternative way to setup an email account?

by

Hi @cpcnw

Thanks for letting us know, we will get this reported.

Let us know how you get on after your call back.

Leanne.

Established Contributor

Actually one aspect of that link does work. When you put in your PIN to retrieve your password you do actually get a message back - which states that your username or  password don't exist on BIS!

Which they clearly do as I am using it 🙂

by

Thanks for the details @cpcnw

I have sent you a private message to get some further details.

Thanks, Leanne 🙂

Established Contributor

This tool may be useful for others when testing email account details if having trouble setting up on their BlackBerry device

http://support.blackberry.com/kb/articleDetail?articleNumber=000033444&language=en_US

As an aside all my details / servers validate perfectly using this tool so it is starting to look like a device software / firmware issue

Will let you know outcome as and when

Established Contributor

Got a call back on Sunday afternoon. Went through some stuff on the support call which didnt work. Was promised a call back in a few days.

In my state of man flu I thought it might be worth trying a security wipe completely forgetting about all the photos I took on the last day of my holiday because the batteries ran out on my digicam.

Of course a security wipe completely wipes out all user data and the photos are unrecoverable.

Completely my fault - and it didn't help the above issue in any case.

Not the best weekend.

by

Sorry to hear that you haven't heard from technical support and that you've lost those photos, @cpcnw

I recommend giving them a call for an update.

Chris

Established Contributor

So I now have 3 other ISP's setup for email, namely UK2, Plusnet and GMail

Interestingly when setting up GMail I got a security alert about a blocked attempt at login from South Africa on this IP Address: 178.239.83.1

http://whois.domaintools.com/178.239.83.1 says Canada - in any case I was wondering if mailbox.org are blocking for similar reasons as GMail i.e. looks suspicious?

I'll wait a couple of days to see if I get a call!

by

Keep us updated with your progress @cpcnw 🙂

Jon

Established Contributor

So EE support tried pretty hard to get to the bottom of this but had to admit defeat.

One thing I was wonderig about though...

On my gmail accout which works perfectly the gmail control panel shows the imap activity originating from South Africa on IP 178.239.83.84

Maybe this is the reason that my primary email provider [in Germany who are VERY security conscious] prevents the setup procedure completing?

by

Hi @cpcnw

Did you mention this to the technical support team?

Chris

Established Contributor

No becuse I only noticed it after the case was closed

by

It may be worth getting back in touch, @cpcnw.

I'm not an expert in this field, but, that might be important information.

Chris

Established Contributor

I think they already intimated that additional security features of the host may be causing the issue - and of course could not help with that.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions