cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

has anyone had an EE survey pop up recently with a prize, assume its a scam?

DJL33
Explorer

Has anyone had a pop up EE survey recently with a prize for completing the survey.  I assume it is a scam

27 REPLIES 27
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

On this site or the EE main site?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
I was not on the ee site at the time

On this Community site I think it's pukka.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

I had this today and have reported it to both EE and Fraud squad.

What was weird was that it was a fullscreen popup when I didn't even have the browser focused (and browser had no weird sites open or social media running) and no text messages were received. I did not click on anything to trigger it.

This is what got me as I have not yet seen something like that and have not had any malware on my smartphone as of yet. This was a first.

Not seen anything like that before, it seemed legit as you might think well only the actual Service provider (EE) could do something like that.

But the talk of free devices in return for answering a few questions is very tempting,

I admit I did click a couple of buttons (the survey was in the form of multiple choice answers on buttons) but it was just basic questions like what is this device (android, ios, laptop etc), how often  do you use it to browse the web, how happy are you with EE services.

I mean those questions don't come across as trying to scam you.

After the questions you get redirected to a very obvious web page that we probably would all avoid if we saw it online. At that point, I rang EE.

I feel a bit dumb now looking back but I didn't really give away anything that could identify me. I draw the line at personal info such as names, emails, address etc.

Searched online and seen that this has been a running scam in various forms since 2016. 

Just beware people!

I will attach a screenshot so you can see but remember that this is on a smartphone and that I didnt do anything to trigger its appearance on my device which makes you think it's sort of legit. Awkward...

PS: I have since ran a malware scan on my smartphone and it found 1 app it deemed suspicious but I have had that app for at least a couple of years now and not had any dubious adware on my device.

I think this scam is run via local phishing devices that chuck out internet gateways to devices that want to discover wifi access points. You then get a gateway page made up to look like whatever and it goes from there... It would explain why its so hard to crack down on this as that kind of exploit is very mobile...

EE looking pop up on smartphone...EE looking pop up on smartphone...After survey you get redirected here...After survey you get redirected here...

No, that's not the EE survey I get & which I said I thought was pukka. It just asks Qs of what I thought of this site & does not offer prizes at the end.

Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Thanks for taking the time to report this and also notify other users @Digital_Influx

Katie 🙂

Profile closed
Not applicable

Hi @Digital_Influx 

I've had one or two of these, dear EE mobile client and just ignored them!

I don't give anything away to this kind of thing either!!

Thanks for posting 🤗

BustaCrabb

I just had this too, the popup prevented me from accessing the page I was on and looked legit. It was multiple choice questions but then asked for bank details to which I closed the popup. 

Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Hello @JontydelPonte

Thanks for making us aware. 

You have definitely done the right thing by not entering your bank details and closing the popup.

Have a great weekend,

Katie 🙂