iPhone X
    Order now
x
by kimpp Investigator
Investigator

Top tips for childs phone?

are there any tops tips and things i really need to do to my daughters iphone se to safe guard her?

thanks

10 REPLIES
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Top tips for childs phone?

@kimpp. Just call customer services and ask them to block any extra purchases from the device.  

Highlighted
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hello @kimpp

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community today. Smiley Happy

On your account, I would block your daughter from buying additional data, I would place a block on International and Premium calls and I would activate content control (this prevents your daughter from accessing over 18 sites when connected to the EE network).

On your daughters iPhone, I would activate restrictions which allows you to block in-app purchases, block your daughter from downloading and uninstalling apps if you wish, you can block what access your daughter has to the app store (so she can't view over 18 content and this will work when connected to both the EE network and when connected to WiFi) and you can manage more things while using restrictions on your daughters iPhone. Smiley Happy

by
EE Community Support Team

Good morning @kimpp

Welcome to the community and thanks for becoming one of our newest members Smiley Happy

I know @Chris_B and @Inyourbox have already offered you ideas and support, however I just wanted to try and offer some more to you.

Please do have a look at our Content lock and safeguarding help and support pages.

Iv'e got a daughter as well and I understand how concerned you are about trying to keep her safe online.

There are some great sections to look at on there, which I am sure will help you.

Cheers

Richard

Smiley Happy

by kimpp Investigator
Investigator

Thank you everyone, much appreciated. will action those today! Smiley Happy

by

Really pleased you came back to us @kimpp

It's what we are here for Smiley Happy

If you don't mind sharing your hints and tips as time goes on, that would be wonderful.

Sharing information is what community is all about.

Thanks

Richard

Smiley Happy

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Hi @kimpp, it's great to see people asking for and giving advice regarding online/mobile safeguarding. It amazes me (and saddens me) how many people choose to remain clueless and (this irritates me as well) go to the point of saying "my child won't have a phone", thus shutting their children out from technology and e-safety education simply because they don't want to educate themselves.

The advice you've already got is great!

What I would add is to check either your home router or your Internet Service Provider's settings (worth giving them a call) to make sure your home broadband is also child-friendly and blocks over-18 content (therefore preventing your daughter accessing inappropriate material when she is home and using your WiFi).

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@DonDino: It won't be the router. You need to install something like Norton Family, which EE offers a subscription for its Home BB users.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 020 7362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@XRaySpeX Depends on what router is in use. If the parents (not specifically talking about the OP here but generally about anyone) are willing to delve deeper and learn, there are routers that can handle parental controls natively (e.g. Draytek).

This can also be done using OpenDNS, which is free and requires minimal router settings tinkering.

by

Hi guys Smiley Happy

As a dad and someone who want's to help with a topic like this like yourselves.

Iv'e just familiarised myself again with the Safer Internet Day: How you can be the change support article.

I'm all about learning how I can help keep my daughter safe online and it's great to see others sharing advice.

Thanks

Richard

Smiley Happy

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@DonDino: Router settings are too static for this sort of job. What it needs is a dynamic database of the latest unsuitable sites. Routers cannot provide that. However by setting a child-friendly DNS in the router this can be achieved. Norton & presumably OpenDNS provide such DNS. Then any old router will do.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 020 7362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.