cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pop-up anniversary survey scam

Sorcha
Former EE Community Manager

We've had numerous reports coming into our security teams about a pop-up survey scam. 

When you are browsing the internet, a pop-up appears on the screen. The message can vary, but will prompt you to take part in a short survey with the offer of a prize as a reward. It will then ask for personal details to be entered. Recent versions mention we are celebrating our anniversary. 

The websites it has appeared on are random and unrelated to EE and it isn't specific to any browser or device (both mobile and computer). 

This has been appearing to both customers of EE and non-customers alike and has mimicked multiple brands. 

For reference, the pop-up may look like the screenshot below.

popup scam.png

As always, never enter your personal details into any pages that come from unsolicited pop-ups, emails or text messages.

More information on how to stay safe and report spam and phishing attempts can be found here.

12 REPLIES 12
Kazwooz
Visitor

I have started getting this pop up, just today. It’s very persistent so please don’t enter your details. It’s tempting, of course, but close it down. 

REDWARRIOR80
Investigator
Investigator

This has been popping up EVERYTIME I go to anything on my computer (like news sites) . It looks so convincing it's scary. Today (28/6/20) is my birthday so at first I thought it was another surprise. But then I stopped and thought something does not feel right and closed it down. and came to the site. Discovering the information I have reported it and close it down every time it pops up. I have  also ran a threat scan.

Same here. So far it has 'POPPED UP' A DOZEN TIMES.

wiljaxon
Investigator
Investigator

I had this pop-up, the colours and fonts used are exactly right. It happened as I was using the EE app to donate data allowance. It seems too much of a coincidence that this popped up right at the end of the transaction. Was in the car park at Tesco's here in Andover, using data. So is it an 'inside job' or is activity being monitored somehow, somewhere. The IP address started 141.?.? can't recall.

Quite recent, January 15th 2021 or so. It's the last stage asking for payment that is the 'give-away' it's a scam and the most critical part to ignore.

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @wiljaxon,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

This pop-up appears on random websites that aren't related to EE. The pop up would have been displayed in your web browser, rather than the My EE app.

James

Yes it did, in full screen mode, and instantly/quickly. It has been carefully coded and crafted, the timing was way too close to be a coincidence. Some people may have been conned, it's convincing.

Sent from my Huawei phone
AnnieB4
Visitor

I have just been taken in by this. First ever scam that has worked on me and I'm feeling stupid. Pop up appeared on my phone while I was on Twitter. Very convincing facsimile of an ee page. I was given a 90 second time window in which to complete the transaction, and I think it was this time pressure that clinched it and prevented me from seeing sense in time. I input my card details, including the three digit security code, in the excited hope of receiving an iPhone 11 (for only £1.50 P&P. Bargain)!

Immediately on completion I realized I had probably been scammed, so contacted ee who confirmed (and didn't laugh at me - thank you!). Then the building society (also no mockery) - and the £1.50 had been did indeed appear on my credit card transactions. I had a stop placed on my card immediately.

Grr.

Hi @AnnieB4,

Welcome to the community 🙂

The pop ups are very convincing! If you are ever unsure of a link that you see, please come to the community to check.

You did the right thing by contacting both EE and your bank straight away to stop any further transactions being taken.

Alex 🙂

Katharina
Explorer

I have had this exact message too, I did give my details sadly. The messages from other people below that it was truly EE had convinced me - I know I’ve been stupid.  What can I expect to happen next and how can I protect myself at this stage? When I try to go back to the site, it’s gone...